Author Topic: Relining a clutch brake shoe for Chamberlain Mk3 Industrial  (Read 2863 times)

djsch3

Relining a clutch brake shoe for Chamberlain Mk3 Industrial
« on: 23 November, 2017, 06:25:02 pm »
Hi,
Was wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding putting a lining on a clutch brake shoe in the picture.  It came from my chamberlain mk3 industrial primary gearbox.  Would be willing to send it away to get fixed by someone knowledgeable.

Not really sure how to go about it.  Think getting a good condition one from a wreckers that I can use with the lining intact may be difficult.

Also was wondering where it may be possible to purchase a clutch carrier spring also from the gearbox as it was missing them.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks, Darren

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Relining a clutch brake shoe for Chamberlain Mk3 Industrial
« Reply #1 on: 24 November, 2017, 04:14:38 pm »
We used to have a brake business in town that would clean it up, prep it and re-bond some lining material onto your part. So check around the district for a brake shop that can do this for you.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

allisb

« Reply #2 on: 25 November, 2017, 08:59:16 pm »
Hi, haven?t been on this site for a long time. But checked tonight for some reason and found your posting.
I did mine a few months ago. Had some pics but can?t find them now.
I tried around for brake mobs, but had some horrible quotes of up around 100 gold coins.
I did a bit of web surfing and got on to a mob in Brisbane who are major suppliers of brake linings of all shapes and sizes. They were happy enough to supply the gear on a small order, but I had to wait a week or so. They supplied a lining that was metal reinforced, and would work on wet or dry brakes. By memory it was a 3/16? lining. And they had it near the same width as required.
How it was done:
The lining comes and it was nearly straight and hard as a piece of wood. I didn?t want to break it, so I machined up a piece of steel the same diameter as the gear shaft on which the brake runs.
then set it up on the bench with a large G clamp across the ?brake shoe? (for lack of another name? the lining across that and the other end of the clamp on the machined boss. With plenty of hot air from a heat gun, the lining softened enough to be wound in to the right shape in the shoe.
I then drilled new rivet holes in the linings while it was still held in place with the machined boss in the vice.
I made up some new rivets, recessed the rivet holes on the inside and carefully riveted the lining in to place.
Some say you can glue them, I chose rivets.
It works very very well. Almost too well, so I have the adjustment set so it only just bites at the end of the clutch travel.  Very pleased with it and it only cost me around 15 drachmas, plus the enjoyment of making it work again.
Sorry no photos, not sure what happened to them but it is easily and economically repaired.
I?ll see if I can work out who the supplier of the lining was.
Best regards,
Rex
I spend most of my pay on old tractors and engines, I tend to waste the rest

allisb

« Reply #3 on: 25 November, 2017, 09:01:00 pm »
http://www.modeng.com.au/Products/Brake-Lining#/contact

Hope that helps, please contact me if I can be any more help.
Rx
I spend most of my pay on old tractors and engines, I tend to waste the rest

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #4 on: 26 November, 2017, 01:44:45 pm »
Brilliant fix Rex, well done and described very well that even I understood what you did.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.