Author Topic: Anderson, Campbell and Sloss Verticle boiler and Engine  (Read 11297 times)

Billyboy

Anderson, Campbell and Sloss Verticle boiler and Engine
« on: 21 January, 2010, 01:20:01 am »
Hi all,
Here is my australian built steam engine. Its a verticle boiler with the engine bolted to the side of it which makes what peoples call a donkey engine.
The Boiler was made by Anderson, Campbell and Sloss Engineers and Boiler makers Moray street in Melbourne. Whats interesting is that there is a second maker on the plate J. Hateley, makers, Emereld Hill. Which was just around the corner from the other makers.
This dates the Engine and Boiler around 1883-1889 which is very early. here are some pictures of the engine and boiler.
after being loaded up

Engine

Inside the fire box

any info on the engine or boiler would be bonza.

Cheers, Will

Billyboy

Re: Anderson, Campbell and Sloss Verticle boiler and Engine
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2010, 10:56:29 am »
Ive narrowed down the build date between 1883-1886 and there was a cast iron base which was hollow for a feed water heater.

Cheers, Will

sawdustoz

« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2018, 12:51:56 pm »
Hi Will, are there any stampings on the boiler?  I am writing a history of Anderson Campbell & Sloss for TOMM and I know of the existence of another of these engines. Best to contact me directly at peter at peterevans dot com dot au.

Cheers,
PeterE.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2018, 04:01:37 pm »
WOW, it looks to be in remarkably good condition. I wish I could find my Dads old 'donkey engine' even though it was a model one. It too was a similar design with the engine attached to the side like your real one is.
Look forward to seeing the progress on this one.
There is another vertical boiler (boiler only) that I know of based at the Waterworks at Goulburn NSW and the last time I heard it was being put back into service. I have no idea of make.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.