Author Topic: Humpty Dumpy  (Read 15176 times)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Humpty Dumpy
« on: 17 May, 2018, 09:59:21 am »
Well I've been looking for one of these for ages and now with thanks to wee-allis on this site we now have a new toy.
We believe it to be a Benford Dumper but so far I cannot find any tags on the chassis so we are asking for as much help as possible to correctly identify it.
What we do know so far is;
It has a crank handle start 2 cylinder Lister diesel + a Coventry 3 forward speed and 1 reverse gearbox.

I have looked at many different UK sites trying to find out about it with no luck so far. Oliver52 on this site has suggested that it is a Benford and possibly a PT or TT 40 or 50 and this has been very helpful in finding some things even a manual on the Lister. When Mr Google is employed to search the Benford side of things I get a big zero for answers except sales companies of used equipment mainly in the UK and so far none have replied with any help in identifying the dumper. Nowadays Benford is a part of Terex Group and I have asked them about it today so hopefully they can point me in the right direction.

So if there is any more info you can offer me please do.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

sunshine man

Re: Humpty Dumpy
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2018, 10:27:22 am »
Hi cobba
Seen many on building sites years ago , maybe worth asking some old builders.
 What do you have planned for the machine
Sunshineman

Ian

« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2018, 12:57:21 pm »
Hi Cobbadog

Does it have the back to front steering, like when you turn the steering wheel left it turns to the right?  I had a drive of one like that last month, very strange.

Regards

Ian

1 R&T Engine, 1 Simplex Model D Milk Pump, 1 Ajax Milk Pump, 1 Dawn 611 Post Drill, 1 Ajax 1.5 Piston Pump, 1 Goulds Pyramid 3x5 Piston Pump, 1 Cooper 1hp RV, 14 Chooks, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 1 Wife & 1 Daughter

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2018, 02:23:56 pm »
What do you have planned for the machine
He needs to have a dump? ???
Looks quite tidy Cobba. Does Humpty go alright? I bet you wished you had him when you dug the tree out of the back yard. He would have earnt some of his keep.
Is it a Lister ST2?

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2018, 03:14:19 pm »
Hi Mr Sunshineman, Humpty is a play toy for fun and as we don't see too many at Rallies it is something different to take.
Hi Ian, Humpty is rear wheel steer the same as a forklift but it certainly is not a back to front operational bugga of a thing. Turn wheel to left and it goes that way but for the short drive I have taken it on it is a little tricky at first but then you get used to it. Considering I used to fit and sell forklift tyres when I lived in Shitme a long time ago it comes back to you quickly. It is complete with "Armstrong Steering".
Scotty, what can I say? 1st & 2nd gear are so low that it could climb a telegraph pole like you used to do, but 3rd gets up and goes and I don't know as yet how quick. Yeah it would have been good to winch the stump into the bucket and then deliver the stump to the end user and simply pull the release handle and hey presto, it's here!
I had about a 1/4 of a bucket of water in it from an over night rain fall and the balance of the bucket is amazing. I released the 2 stage lock and simply holding the handle on the top of the bucket I slowly emptied out the water. This is why the strap is on the bucket now to stop it holding water again until I can clear a new hole for Humpty.

LATEST UPDATES
I found the engine, gearbox and what appears to be a chassis number so now I'm on the hunt for more details. Also found a Forum in the UK that deals with Dumpers and now I'm waiting for approval before I can contribute.
Engine #2917SR2A25   13.2 HP @ 1800 RPM. Which technically makes it a SR2 Lister.
Gearbox - Newage Coventry #A14271 Made by *M Type 2
Chassis # G5-U04-9713
Also found another engine workshop manual to suit and is now safely stored in the puta.
Then inside that manual was where to and how to operate the "cold start" position on the pump. Not that it needs it at the moment but where we picked it up from east of Goulburn it was somewhat bloody chilli and it started up brilliantly without the cold start and the engine does not blow smoke only a very small amount at start up and then it goes away. We are very happy with it and already I have rectified an accident that had happened a long time ago and took the big dent out of the back of the bonnet.
Looks like the first outing will be the Yesteryear Truck Show at Wauchope in July.

wee-allis

« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2018, 05:07:49 pm »

Hi John, glad it worked out for both you and Ralph. He loved the old thing but like a lot of us, ran out of room.

Take it to Wauchope and give some demos.

Cheers,
Steve.
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #6 on: 18 May, 2018, 04:59:39 pm »
Yep, Wauchope will be the debut for Humpty Dumpy. But before I go anywhere I have to sort out the hand brake issue. What was there was kind of tricky and caused some issues in the operation of the brakes in general, so I'm now looking at making it a cable operated hand brake. Lever is similar to what is used on a forklift, a lift over centre operation.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #7 on: 20 May, 2018, 02:05:50 pm »
Made a pair of pulleys for the new hand brake cable to run in and then some clevis pins. All the pins are required at the hand brake handle. It was ceased badly but with a lot of LPG heat to cherry red and a good pair of vice grip the threaded section let go and after running some taps and dies along the threads now work perfectly. Also used some Lanolin Grease on the threads to help stop it ceasing again. Before I get a serve over my machining effort, yes I did forget to break the edges and they are now done on a grinder.
I took a little while to source a wire cable suitable to use but eventually it turned up at my last stop. I was advised not to use the stainless cable to run over the pulleys as they felt it might fatigue and break so I sourced the ordinary wire cable. Next thing is to get a thimble crimped on one end for now while I route the cable exactly where I want it to run and not foul on anything, well that's the plan.
You can see where the clevis pins have ended up waiting to do their job.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #8 on: 21 May, 2018, 04:06:30 pm »
Made the first mounting bracket for the hand brake cable and will mount it soon and then continue along towards the rear to make another bracket yet to be designed.

Sitting in the seat today I noticed MCC staring back at me that was embossed onto the steering wheel hub cover. Does this offer any clues to maker?

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #9 on: 22 May, 2018, 04:30:10 pm »
Latest detective work appears to make this a Liner - Roughrider 1375cwt, yet to be confirmed. Some good old youtube videos make it to be the same if not similar so hopefully more details in time.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #10 on: 24 May, 2018, 09:33:55 am »
Slight correction to Humpty Dumpys' heritage, he is a Liner - Roughrider 1250cwt. Now researching an ID tag from anywhere so I can get one made for him.

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #11 on: 24 May, 2018, 02:43:44 pm »
Hello Cobba
I wonder what MCC is?

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #12 on: 24 May, 2018, 05:05:29 pm »
No further clues on the MCC on the steering wheel. But I am now confident on it being a Liner - roughrider but need to confirm the 1250cwt or bigger but I feel it is the 1250cwt.
One of the big things in identifying it was the bent heavy bar in front of the diff housing, only Liner did that. So the company that made it was Liner Concrete Machinery Company, 165 Park Road, Gateshead 8 and Abbey Orchard Street, London S.W.1 now closed. I am also semi confident that it is a 1971 model going by the gearbox id plate but again yet to be confirmed.
It is painfully slow in getting answers and pictures of others at times but the ball seems to be rolling a bit better now.
 I hope to have more bits n pieces for the hand brake tomorrow so I can progress with that but then the weekend off as daughter from Gold Coast is invading us for the weekend.

franco

« Reply #13 on: 24 May, 2018, 06:25:11 pm »
QUOTE: " But I am now confident on it being a Liner - roughrider but need to confirm the 1250cwt "

Are you fairly sure of that figure? If so it's a hell of a dumper - 1250 cwt = 62.5 tons!
Cairns, Queensland

Kim S

« Reply #14 on: 24 May, 2018, 06:50:43 pm »
Cobbadog, I am confused, how can you fit sixty two and a half tons into what appears to be a one yard bin?.......... :D