Author Topic: Humpty Dumpy  (Read 16278 times)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Humpty Dumpy
« Reply #30 on: 07 July, 2018, 02:42:11 pm »
Got this far with the exhaust today before knock off time. Tomorrow the muffler goes on and then I can start on the heat shield.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #31 on: 08 July, 2018, 02:02:16 pm »
Sports exhaust finished. Next is the heat shield and extra seat but that's for when we get back from the Yesteryear Truck Show. Steering box is also high on the agenda once back. Gave Humpty a birthday and went right around him with the grease gun. Most of the points have not felt grease in them for many years. The rear axle pivot pin was dry dry as a bone. I will also have to change some nipples ove to being right angled ones for ease of greasing.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #32 on: 18 July, 2018, 04:25:14 pm »
Over the weekend at Wauchope I ahd the chance to look further into the steering problem and found that the rear axle has a little bit of wear in the pivot point. I dropped the axle today and found no sign of wear on the shaft and the bushes are about 1mm bigger than the shaft for their inside diameter.

Is 1mm too much? If so, what should be the clearance?

Tomorrow the steering box is coming out to see what surprises I can find.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #33 on: 19 July, 2018, 04:27:02 pm »
Found the reason for a bad steering issue. Drive pin that engages the worm drive gear is slightly worn !!!!
The worm gear is badly pitted but still serviceable for this use. I also had the rear axle out and measured the pivot pin to the bushes and there is a very small amount of wear but not enough to cause my real issue of a 1/4 of a turn on the wheel to make it steer.
So I need some new ball bearing races which are balls held in a cage for the top and bottom of the worm gear,  a new oil seal for the sector shaft which had an old style felt oil seal but the bushes for the sector shaft were perfect.
The cause for all this drama was some idiot stuck grease inside the box instead of fixing the oil leak. This caused a gap to form between the moving parts and the grease so nothing was being lubricated. The grease did a great job at catching the little bits of metal as it wore away. Everything is now cleaned up and off to the bearing shop tomorrow and I will pick up some shim as well while I'm there. I will build up the worn pin with some weld and shape it to suit the worm gear. Just want to find a suitable weld so as not to cause wear to the worm gear  so I will try some general purpose rods with the arc welder and some MIG as well and decide from there.

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #34 on: 20 July, 2018, 10:09:02 am »
Now it's all out, why not put poser steering in there Cobba?

;)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #35 on: 20 July, 2018, 05:12:08 pm »
Armstrong steering is just fine thank you Scotty.

Got almost what I wanted but enough to proceed with the repair. The original felt oil seal will now have a proper new type oil seal to stop the leaks. Unfortunately no new bearing cups or cages to suit. So I've settled for all new ball bearings and put them back in the old cages and used the original cups. Now I did find that the balls on the bottom were smaller than the top but I bought all large ones and this has worked out pretty good. The shims that were at the bottom had to be adjusted to be less than before to have the smallest amount of lateral movement in the main shaft. About 0.002" so that is good. Tomorrow is the weld the steering peg day and then shape it to suit the worm and then gap it to have the proper gap of side movement. So it is going along well so far. I have also found that the maker of the box is BISHOP as this is stamped into one of the end plates on the box. I feel that the box is not original to this machine as someone has wrapped a lump of 2" flat bar iron around a boss on the box and now uses a clamp to hod the box in place rather than using the 3 bolt holes to bolt it to the chassis.
I have fitted the original felt seal to the top of the steering column and I am already pumping the oil into it and it is soaking it up like I do a beer when I have the mind to, like right now!
So I will take pics of the progress, if any, as I go.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #36 on: 21 July, 2018, 03:03:12 pm »
Who ever said "they couldn't put Humpty together again" told lies !!!

Humpty IS together again and now can be steered in the direction you point him. I welded the steering peg this morning and roughly made it round and with a similar slight taper on it and put the sector shaft in place for a trial run. Why did I bother? It was perfect. It rotated easily from left to right locks and with a slight bit of end play in the shaft. So then I started coaxing the 85/140 oil into the box, it is like treacle in cold weather and took a while to get it in the box. There is only a very small amount of free play in the wheel now and it is all at the pivot point of the axle and none in the box at all.

Next is to finish doing a service on Humpty so he is ready for the Cranky Handle Rally next month and order in a second seat for Dee to sit on.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #37 on: 09 August, 2018, 04:35:48 pm »
Well here he is at the end of the road of modifications. Like most of our toys a "short leg" step has been made and fitted along with having a go at using a pipe bender to make a safety hand rail for Dee to hang onto. I made some repairs to the larger cracks in the steering wheel by using that 'knead-it' product rather than using a body filler and then painted it. The bottom of the bin needs a bit of cleaning up and re-painting the black area so I will brush some epoxy paint onto that once cleaned up. So now Humpty is ready to be loaded onto Lorry and go to the Cranky Handle Rally next weekend, yippee!

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #38 on: 10 August, 2018, 05:44:52 pm »
Hello Cobba
Looking spiffy there. Even matching seats.
What's the bet someone is going to think poor old Humpty is a bin and chucks their dirty old sausage sambo napkin and empty coke can in the front?

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #39 on: 12 August, 2018, 02:52:07 pm »
That is simple Scotty, pull the lever and it gets dumped! (unless the sausage is too good to let go!).
 Humpty is now loaded back onto Lorry ready to go next Friday.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #40 on: 04 September, 2018, 05:00:24 pm »
Australia's #1 Public Enemy, Humpty Bin Laiden.