Author Topic: 1913 DX port 8 HP Cooper Stover ' E ' standard w/m s/b t/c  (Read 19912 times)

EMU

1913 DX port 8 HP Cooper Stover ' E ' standard w/m s/b t/c
« on: 14 July, 2018, 11:11:07 am »
Serial Number *59353*  Rebadge by Cooper  Bettendorf Truck

EMU

Re: 1913 DX port 8 HP Cooper Stover ' E ' standard w/m s/b t/c
« Reply #1 on: 14 July, 2018, 11:18:54 am »
Detail passed to Stover expert , serial number ''' last digit '''  shows over stamping it is either 3 0r 8 Or S .

EMU

« Reply #2 on: 14 July, 2018, 11:24:10 am »
Engine near side ' Crankshaft End ' stamped  E over stamped with an 8 . 41.8 

tim

« Reply #3 on: 16 July, 2018, 12:31:28 pm »
Hi Emu,
I'm interested to know what you find out and who it was shipped to.
There is a copy of the Stover Engine Registry from 5/25/12 at (https://gasenginemagazine.com/company-history/stover-registry)
If you look through the Registry you will see a similar engine listed:  S/No.57850 12/9/1913 6 DX port Invincible Motor Const. Co Sydney Aust.
My understanding is that Cooper bought most of their engines through the Chicago Flexible Shaft Co. Chicago IL

Cheers
Tim
Central West, NSW

Triumphline

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 16 July, 2018, 12:50:37 pm »
Plate on No.57850
Patrick M Livingstone
The Austral Register
Sydney, NSW

EMU

« Reply #5 on: 16 July, 2018, 08:39:51 pm »
Thanks ,
Tim , The information is coming . I have seen this detail of the "link" you provided , it  is a Transcript of Registry of Shipping there is also a Serial Number Registry . Serial Number registry shows The Manufacturing Date .Not all Engine Serial numbers were recorded in successionso far transcribed year 2012,  at present it is an assumption by accessing by an approximation . Joe Maurer goes to Museum at Free Port , when he has a build up , of serial number requirement from owners . He will know more as he can access the exact dates . Both manufacturer, and shipping . It is a type DX  Model E Standard from what is understood . Prefix ODX is Hopper cooled . The prefix abbreviation " port" may be Portable . It has a Solid Cam Gear "not" Spoked although it has a raised portions of Spokes on the Farside . So this Engine is occurring approx at the time / year of implementation of Solid Cast Cam  Gears . The Junior and Earlier Stovers have the Spoked   Cam Gears . Note: The igniter when bolted to the Igniter Port , the " exotic point "contacts point up , i have seen igniter points pointing down . When viewed inside the port for the igniter, it sits in a recess and a partition directly behind  , so igniter is well away and protected and high up from the oily matrix and low octane ignition flash and combustion full front force . Rather than having been totally exposed . The bottom igniter (1) stud is exposed to the interior water jacket , like the exhaust stud/s on the exhaust . Cooling . Note : No spring Washers used on Engine .

EMU

« Reply #6 on: 16 July, 2018, 08:44:12 pm »
Very Soft Cast Iron .

EMU

« Reply #7 on: 16 July, 2018, 08:56:28 pm »
Tim, if you study the registry you will see a 7 hp occurring in the time frame and not shown anywhere else in the detail so far transcribed in the register . 7 hp would be rare . Whether the 7 hp as stated in Shipping register via the link if  it is a vert or horizontal is not known .Very interesting .

EMU

« Reply #8 on: 19 July, 2018, 08:20:22 pm »
Dykes Encyclopedia of Internal Combustion Engines , section [ compression ] as Compression Deteriorates it becomes a 2 Man Operation , ref ' Starting ' .

If one rocks the flywheels opposite to direction of run [ CCW ] ' note ' the  amount of Compression , then rotate the flywheel in direction of ' Run'  CW , and gives less compression . One has a Compression issue .

EMU

« Reply #9 on: 23 July, 2018, 05:24:20 am »
Shipped from Free Port Illinois USA Jan 28 1914 . Received by Invincible Motor Co, Sydney Aust . Double checked as the number before was a full base , which this Engine is a Half Base . Full History can be done as it arrived via Steam Assisted Sailing Ship to Townsville Port. I have the original owners name . How many Cooper Stovers DX port E8 hp Standards in Australia .

EMU

« Reply #10 on: 23 July, 2018, 05:27:15 am »
Many thanks, to Joe Maurer for searching detail at the Ilonoi Stover Museum C.H Wendel Records . Thanks Joe . Very much .

EMU

« Reply #11 on: 23 July, 2018, 05:29:08 am »
cooper as a Company were in the Process and Purchased Invincible Motor Company . Snap shot in time .

Eric Schulz

« Reply #12 on: 23 July, 2018, 06:44:37 pm »
cooper as a Company were in the Process and Purchased Invincible Motor Company.

When did this happen please?

Eric

EMU

« Reply #13 on: 23 July, 2018, 08:07:03 pm »
What happened to the ' Invincible Motor Company ' . Was it a take over .? 

Eric Schulz

« Reply #14 on: 23 July, 2018, 08:18:38 pm »
Emu, I am confused. I read your post to mean that Cooper Engineering bought Invincible Motors. That's why I asked if you knew when that was as I had not heard of this before.

Eric