Author Topic: Wolseley sickle mowers  (Read 3660 times)

Ian

Wolseley sickle mowers
« on: 19 September, 2018, 09:05:48 pm »
Hi

Another shed find to be brought home once we have moved, and there is more to find in then there sheds.

Ian
1 R&T Engine, 1 Simplex Model D Milk Pump, 1 Ajax Milk Pump, 1 Dawn 611 Post Drill, 1 Ajax 1.5 Piston Pump, 1 Goulds Pyramid 3x5 Piston Pump, 1 Cooper 1hp RV, 14 Chooks, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 1 Wife & 1 Daughter

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Wolseley sickle mowers
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2018, 09:12:00 pm »
Nice find. I have a Wolseley Merry Tiller in the shed and running. Only thing I want to do to finish it is get a chain guard off an off treadly to cover the belt. Don't know how many I have driven passed on junk week, just too slack to stop and get it.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2018, 10:09:05 am »
Hello Ian
Oh how Mrs Scotty would like that. She wants a sickle to cut a bit of lucerne for the ponies every-now and again. Apparently the Alan of Oxford's are too big and heavy and Helga just cuts too much at a time. I just don't think she wants to be seen on Helga.  ;D
Is it unusual to have a Briggs on a Wolseley?

Cheers Scott

Ian

« Reply #3 on: 21 September, 2018, 03:43:02 pm »
Hi Scott

The Briggs and Stratton may not be original?   What engine would usually be on one?

Ian
1 R&T Engine, 1 Simplex Model D Milk Pump, 1 Ajax Milk Pump, 1 Dawn 611 Post Drill, 1 Ajax 1.5 Piston Pump, 1 Goulds Pyramid 3x5 Piston Pump, 1 Cooper 1hp RV, 14 Chooks, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 1 Wife & 1 Daughter

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #4 on: 21 September, 2018, 09:05:38 pm »
The Merry Tiller came with a B&S engine but unknown if it is original.
Our Oxford Allen Rotoscythe is easy to start and maneuver so is not heavy at all. It is the early one with the Villiers Midget engine on it. To make it easy to steer it is important not to have both wheels engaged to drive if you intend to turn around as it is like fighting a LSD diff. When on an embankment you only engage the downhill side wheel and do the turn uphill then switch the drive over.
Only other choice is a hedge trimmer on your whipper snipper, they can be set with a bend so it is easy to hold the handle but cut evenly across the ground.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.