Author Topic: MF50 Tractor not starting - Help!  (Read 2112 times)

JohnKaz

MF50 Tractor not starting - Help!
« on: 21 September, 2018, 09:44:43 am »
Hi All, We have a circa 1965 MF 50 tractor with a 4 cyl perkins diesel. When parked up it was running perfectly, but after leaving it for 3 or four weeks she wouldn't even turn over ( Just a solenoid click). I Have removed the starter which checked out OK). I attempted to turn the flywheel with a crowbar but it won't budge. Has been regularly serviced, has good oil pressure and has never got hot. Any suggestions on fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
Re: MF50 Tractor not starting - Help!
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2018, 10:03:49 am »
Hello John
Where did you put the crowbar?
Did you try another known good battery?

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2018, 09:10:46 pm »
Has the water level dropped in the radiator or is there some in the sump? If so pull the injectors and look for water in the cylinders. If a strong new battery does happen to turn the engine over and there is water inside it may be a big issue. Also try turning the engine over in the reverse direction to see if it lets go.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

winnock

« Reply #3 on: 23 September, 2018, 07:41:13 pm »
Can the crankshaft be moved backwards and forwards? If it can be moved a few degrees it could be a stuck or seized head in the DPA injector pump. Proceed with caution as you dont want to cause damage. If the crank cannot be moved at-ll I suggest a piston may be stuck.
Hugh

Diesel fuel injection equipment & vintage windmills.