Author Topic: Lorry door hinge  (Read 17545 times)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Lorry door hinge
« on: 11 October, 2018, 02:57:57 pm »
Since owning Lorry he has had a bad drivers door lower hinge. Finally I bothered to have a look at what is going on and see what the options are. Found that the original hinge has a plastic/nylon bush and it is split. The hinge pin has been pressed over top and bottom so the only way out for it is to cut it.
So what is the best option here?

Buy some new nylon and some tensile steel and make new bushes and pin?

Drill out the holes oversize and put a high tensile nut and bolt through the lot?

Any suggestions?
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
Re: Lorry door hinge
« Reply #1 on: 17 October, 2018, 07:35:00 am »
Hello Cobba.
Is the hinge bolted or welded to the door?
Either way the pin needs to be cut, and seeing how you got a nice lathe now, I's make some brass bushes and use a high tensile bolt with nylox nut if it'll fit.
It might be easier to take the door off to do the job. Do both hinges.

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2018, 04:07:51 pm »
This is where I went on this;
Had another look at the worn plastic/nylon bush and thought I can make a new brass bush and turn up a new pin or use a HT bolt and lock nut. Then it was suggested to look at a truck spare parts website. A brand new hinge with brass bushes all ready for painting was $35.00 delivered parcel post. So that is what I did. To answer the other part of your question young fella is yes, it does bolt on to the door frame and post.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2018, 04:44:19 pm »
Meant to list this supplier as they are so good to deal with.
The next part to this story is that a day after organising the new hinge the solenoid failed completely on Lorry. This Hino has a special type of solenoid and by all info gathered was looking like requiring a OE piece. So another call to HIM or Brett's Spare Parts resolved the issue and it too was sent and is now installed and working.

website is;   www.brettstruck.com.au

These guys are great to deal with and with prices that don't make you feel like you have just been robbed. They cover all the big name Jap trucks, Hino, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota etc. Have a look next time you need some bits n pieces.

Sorry admin for the advertising but when you find something good tell everyone!

wee-allis

« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2018, 06:43:17 pm »

Glad it worked out for you John. I dealt with Bretts on and off for years when I was in business and new how they operated, so I had no hesitation in recommending them. Steve.
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

Scott

« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2018, 09:17:43 am »
Hello Cobba
Excellent. Why fix when a new one is that price. Paint and fit. Very good indeed.
Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2018, 04:50:05 pm »
It is under coat ready for some Lorry White paint soon then a simple bolt up job.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #7 on: 24 November, 2019, 03:45:50 pm »
How old is this? How slack have I been?

Don't answer that please.

Well finally I got it done. New hinge painted and fitted all the rust cut out from the bottom of the "A" pillar, painted as well and I was so lucky I found a heap more rust to keep cutting out and welding up. Kind of like a dog chasing his tail. (not me either Scotty). So things you find when not looking are the bailey channel rubbers in the door were good but one of them is adjustable and was way out of alignment so that is done. Both window seals are stuffed so looking for new tomorrow while in town otherwise order them in. Found more rust towards the back of the door jamb on the guard and jamb and then a bit more on the back corner of the guard just to keep you busy. Could not finish it all in one day with a Sister paying a visit so we spent time with her. Back at it again and finally got the "A" pillar painted in the Hino - Clear White paint made up from numbers only not a colour match but boy is it close, I'm very happy with it. The rust behind the HINO door badge was different. The badge is stuck on using double sided tape but they put some all way round on it and it held water and caused the rust bubble to form. So now new x2 tape is across the top and 3 vertical pieces and the bottom is open to free drain any moisture. Tape is for exterior use. While the badge was off I re painted the black and red on it and it cleaned it up nicely.
I knew about a crack in the top of the door frame where 'US TRUCK DRIVERS' rest our arms as we drive, so it got a weld run along it, ground back and in primer at the moment, colour soon. After the painting was done on the "A" pillar we hung the door back on and then made a simple adjustment to make it swing and close properly and softly again. I have made new cards for the door trims with new sponge and some marine grade vinyl on its way here tomorrow or Tuesday if all goes well. Original trims were looking shabby, not shabby sheik, so a single colour re trim will happen soon enough. To make the key holes for the door trim clips I drilled the correct size hole in place using the original as a template and then drilled a smaller hole to one side and mainly towards the centre so not to weaken the edge of the MDF then joined the holes using a jig saw. This worked out well. So the sponge is glued in place and ready for the vinyl.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #8 on: 24 November, 2019, 03:49:31 pm »
Door trims in the making, plus the new hinge painted and ready to fit.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #9 on: 24 November, 2019, 03:55:04 pm »
This is the "A" pillar repair and paint. Then the top of the door frame where you rest the arm when droving and finally the door back in place, adjusted and badge stuck back in place.
The grille and headlight surrounds stay off for the moment as I now have to remove the passenger side front corner panel and cut out the huge rust hole there. So the fun never stops around here, does it?

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #10 on: 26 November, 2019, 03:46:33 pm »
Here is the corner piece I was referring to. Rust started here from the factory when they put a join in the sealant over the seam, it leaked and allowed moisture in and then the rust got away.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #11 on: 26 November, 2019, 03:47:37 pm »
Then the feeble attempt at welding in the patch and finally in primer filler ready for the top coat

Scott

« Reply #12 on: 27 November, 2019, 06:55:17 am »
Hello Cobba
Looking good.
I bet your glad you invested in mig gas after doing a fair bit of welding on thin stuff.

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #13 on: 27 November, 2019, 02:40:47 pm »
Very true Scotty. I am almost done with him this time around and will take a few pics of the bodywork done and painted. Got the new vinyl today so next step is the door trims.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #14 on: 29 November, 2019, 03:59:57 pm »
This is the drivers door side new trim, not perfect but far better than what was there. Other side has been made, just need to remove the old trim and fit new.