Author Topic: Pipe Bender  (Read 4669 times)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Pipe Bender
« on: 14 October, 2018, 04:14:25 pm »
Recently I had to borrow a pipe bender from a mate and although he is always very helpful and allows me to borrow certain tools I do like to have my own. So over time I have been looking about and have found some real bargains but as usual they are half a world away. Well that all changed yesterday with a bender offered for sale and it was local to me. It was a SCA brand one rated at 12 tons and came complete with the normal 6 mandrels. The thing behind this sale was that it has never been used or even unpacked. Initially he was going to buy all the pipe and make his own farm gates but soon found that the cost of materials worked out dearer than he could buy new gates at the steel supply shop so the bender never was used. So he had it tucked away for 3 years and decided to have a clean out. The asking price was at almost the same as what one was worth on today's price around $150.00 + postage. I suggested that I was interested but at a far better price, something that reflected his purchase price back then. He thought about it and then took some money off so I said make it $100.00 even and I will pick it up today. Deal done so now I am making a rack to drop the mandrels onto and out of the way and up on the wall and then a bracket to hold the operating lever so it doesn't go walk about.
I'm happy and so was he so a good deal all round I think.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
Re: Pipe Bender
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2018, 05:09:17 pm »
Had one for years
A few odd post back there was a post about bending pipe I was going to get involved with this pipe bender that it does not damage the gal on pipe etc
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

rustyengines

« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2018, 05:11:32 pm »
And this is the size pipe it will do
Ian

sunshine man

« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2018, 08:45:44 pm »
Hi cobba
Well bought could have used it on my petter
Regards sunshineman

Kim S

« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2018, 10:52:41 pm »
Well Sunshine man back in the day pipes were worked using a forge and a array of blacksmith tools, of course a certain amount of skill is required, I have never really had any issue using this method and generally get good results.

sunshine man

« Reply #5 on: 17 October, 2018, 09:22:47 am »
Hi guys
I think we all missed the point here our mate cobba was fortunate enough to buy a product to facilitate in the restoration of one of project. In the event he does have further use of this tool it is not an expensive item sitting on a shelf.
True many tools are false economy , often taps, drills, files to name a few .
But in this instance I believe this tool will serve cobba and his friends well.
Regards sunshineman

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #6 on: 17 October, 2018, 11:26:37 am »
Well Sunshine man back in the day pipes were worked using a forge and a array of blacksmith tools, of course a certain amount of skill is required, I have never really had any issue using this method and generally get good results.
can you show us your setup and some pipe bent by this method?

rustyengines

« Reply #7 on: 17 October, 2018, 04:19:35 pm »
Kim I started my apprenticeship F & T at the AIS Port Kembla in 1963
Way back then pipe benders like John and I have were being used 
The method you say has served you well was long gone and forgotten   
You should know the AIS as it was called back then as it s not that far from you
Ian

wee-allis

« Reply #8 on: 17 October, 2018, 07:09:09 pm »

Can't see much of the zinc staying on the pipe after being in the forge.
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

Kim S

« Reply #9 on: 17 October, 2018, 08:21:01 pm »
In the perspective of vintage machinery, engines as for example, when original in most cases any plumbing with bends was usually black pipe and for that matter wrought iron pipe commonly used in early engines should be worked hot as opposed to steel cold or hot, generally in the vintage machinery gal if used at all in any length it was in straight runs, in this example of a original Austral with a known history it has no gal and few bends if any, many good restorations are ruined by the incorrect fitting of galvanized pipe... of course, just my opinion for what its worth ....... should really do some work on that Austral soon and get it running.

TOMM Moderator

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 18 October, 2018, 12:45:46 pm »
So Kim. Where do you buy new wrought iron pipe? According to you you can only get thin walled Chinese made pipe, more then likely galvanised.
Cheers Scott
Friendly warning. If you guys cannot stop provoking each other, the Administrator will be forced to ban members.
The Moderator

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #11 on: 18 October, 2018, 04:17:54 pm »
Well here is the rack mounted with the mandrels and what I decided to do to store the handle with the bender. Not sure why the topic got turned around from a simple pipe bender to a hot topic on gal or not gal pipe but this pipe bender will serve my purpose just fine regardless of its country of origin.

sunshine man

« Reply #12 on: 18 October, 2018, 05:55:06 pm »
Hi cobba
Nice job mounting the mandrels , one error I noticed it's not in my shed.
I could do with one , maybe one might turn up under the xmas tree
Regards sunshineman

rustyengines

« Reply #13 on: 18 October, 2018, 07:24:24 pm »

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #14 on: 20 October, 2018, 11:27:34 am »
Your always welcome to come up and play with it. Make sure you direct Santa to the auction site for a better price on the same product than SCA.