Author Topic: Zephyrs  (Read 8780 times)

Gerilgambeth

• NSW Sth Coast
    • MATAMA
Zephyrs
« on: 14 November, 2018, 03:21:11 pm »
Hello Folks,

Back in '68, my first car was a Mk1 Zephyr.
Although it was a really good example, I didn't treat the thing with the respect that it deserved, and wrapped it around a tree, nearly killing the girlfriend and myself. (Nill seat belts)
Many years later I had the opportunity to buy another one and when I took it for a test drive, I just had to buy it, partly because it had the exact same rattles that the first one had.
Anyway, I've attached to this post, a couple of photos of the new-er girl. (still no seat belts) BUT....these photos are just sweeteners for my main reason for posting.

I would like to buy a Mk2 Zephyr Ute.
However, due to them being as rare as Rocking Horse Manure, I'm having difficulty finding a decent one.
So, I wonder that if you should read this, please keep in the back of your mind that some crazy old bugger on the TOMM forum is looking for one, when and if, you see one.
I'd very much appreciate it .

Thanks & Cheers,
Rob
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life". WINSTON CHURCHILL

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Zephyrs
« Reply #1 on: 15 November, 2018, 10:27:24 am »
That's a beautiful example, you must be happy with it.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

ianoz

« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2018, 12:43:50 am »
I was so close to getting this one,but apparently it was not to be .
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more
 Benaraby Central Queensland

Triumphline

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2018, 08:55:16 am »
We had a really nice Mk1 Zephyr that my father bought off the nuns at Galong. Low mileage and not a dent in it. They are a good solid driving car.
Patrick
Patrick M Livingstone
The Austral Register
Sydney, NSW

Gerilgambeth

• NSW Sth Coast
    • MATAMA
« Reply #4 on: 21 November, 2018, 09:40:12 am »
When the Mk1's were being assembled at Geelong, Ford Australia were toying with the idea of building a Mk1 Ute. They only made 1 or 2 of them. See the attached photo.
Also, I've attached a shot of one of the Mk2 utes. They made 16,000 of them though.
Cheers,
Rob
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life". WINSTON CHURCHILL

Gerilgambeth

• NSW Sth Coast
    • MATAMA
« Reply #5 on: 21 November, 2018, 12:36:08 pm »
Oh, and they also toyed with the idea of building a Mk1 Coupe.
I have no idea whether or not they finished any....or even one.
Rob

Gerilgambeth

• NSW Sth Coast
    • MATAMA
« Reply #6 on: 28 November, 2018, 09:01:49 am »
It looks like I've found one.
The chap selling it says he wants to give it a tidy up first, with a new coat of period correct light green paint after attending to a couple of minor rust issues and putting it on standard wheels and tyres. Its got a Mk3 engine and a Mk3 4 speed box fitted, which will add to the purpose for which I'm buying it (taking engines to rallies & towing a trailer) and its reliability too, I expect.
Cheers,
Rob

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #7 on: 28 November, 2018, 01:51:55 pm »
Very nice find. Might even be worth offering some help during the repair stage to ensure it gets cut out and not filled but nice toy for the rallies.

Gerilgambeth

• NSW Sth Coast
    • MATAMA
« Reply #8 on: 28 November, 2018, 04:33:47 pm »
Thanks John.
I live 850kms from where the ute is presently located, so lending a hand is next to impossible.
Also, I've known the chap, by reputation, for many years and he checks out fine. Thanks for your concern though.
Rob

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #9 on: 28 November, 2018, 04:43:32 pm »
Good news all round then.

peter dixon

« Reply #10 on: 28 November, 2018, 05:34:04 pm »
if you know anyone coming to tas. with room in their vehicle on way back, see if they could pick up a free complete mk3 diff assembly I have kept last 20 yrs in case someone wants it! otherwise will have to go to tip one day
regards  peter

sunshine man

« Reply #11 on: 28 November, 2018, 10:41:39 pm »
Hi there
I know little about the different models,
But a neighbour has a later model , he has had it from brand new , he tells me it is factory v8 .is that correct?
Everwhere he goes there is a line of people trying to buy it , no money will buy this car, he has no need for any more dollars
Regards sunshineman

Gerilgambeth

• NSW Sth Coast
    • MATAMA
« Reply #12 on: 29 November, 2018, 06:24:24 am »
Hello Sunshine Man,
No, Ford didn't produce any V8 Zephyrs or Zodiacs.....but that isn't to say that they didn't make a one off for testing and your neighbor was lucky enough to buy it.
My father bought a brand new XR Fairmont back in '66, and because it was one of the very first of them, it had Mk4 Zephyr bucket seats in it. They differed quite a lot to the later correct seats.
There are a huge number of Mk2 and Mk3 Zephyrs with small block Ford V8's in them. The engine bays are spacious and the cars don't need much modification to make them legal. (relatively)
Should you be interested in reading more about the various models, you can do so here.... Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Zephyr
Cheers,
Rob

wee-allis

« Reply #13 on: 29 November, 2018, 07:23:25 am »

Rob, perhaps Scott's mate has a Mk4 V6.
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

Gerilgambeth

• NSW Sth Coast
    • MATAMA
« Reply #14 on: 29 November, 2018, 07:33:19 am »
Yes Wee Allis,
There is the Mk4 Zephyr V6..... they're VERY scarce though.
BUT...... I wonder if Sunshine Man is getting mixed up with the Simca Vedette. With its fins, it looked very similar to a Mk3 Zephyr and it did run the French version of Fords little sidevalve V8-60.
I've attached a pic of the French made Simca Vedette.
Cheers,
Rob