Author Topic: Zephyrs  (Read 8758 times)

sunshine man

Re: Zephyrs
« Reply #15 on: 29 November, 2018, 08:19:46 am »
Hi all
He was an old gentleman that worked for ford , I assumed he was telling me the truth about the engine fittment.
He claims it was a hand picked car .
 I do know strange things happen in car assembly plants , we had in the family a ht holden premier
 Drum brakes all round , no booster, 2 speed  auto behind a 186, no air , etc.
All the interior premier, paint and badging.
Sold as premier from holden.
I had a friend who worked for the leyland plant , p76 and marinas no 2 cars were the same
Sunshineman

Gerilgambeth

• NSW Sth Coast
    • MATAMA
« Reply #16 on: 29 November, 2018, 08:59:21 am »
In a weaker moment, I worked for Leyland Australia and your statement about the P76 and the Marinas doesn't surprise me at all. In 2 years, I sold just one P76 (we called them a P38, because they were only half a car) about 3 or 4 Marinas and bucketloads of Minis. (Triumph Rover and Jaguar/Daimler were also on my books). The quality control in Leyland Australia's Zetland plant pretty well mirrored that in the British Leyland plants at the time.
I presently own a '75 Triumph Dolomite Sprint. One of 620 imported from the UK by Leyland Aus at that time. Its a great little car........NOW. Its taken (me and Steve) years to get it sorted out and MOST of the problems related to QC issues. BUT, some are related to just plain "over engineered design" being the problem. (Along with rubbish reproduction parts. But that's another story)

Back to your friends Zephyr V8.
I don't know about the New Zealand, Rhodesia or South African arms, but neither Ford Australia or Ford UK ever marketed a V8 Zephyr or Zodiac. But it wouldn't surprise me at all that it was a one off "special" built for one of their employees. If so, could you give me his address so I can join the queue at his front gate.
Cheers,
Rob
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life". WINSTON CHURCHILL

sunshine man

« Reply #17 on: 29 November, 2018, 09:47:45 pm »
Remember the targa florio p76.
We used to fit buick heads to these engines with a bit of modifying, the originals just did not allow the engine to breathe
Regards sunshineman

Gerilgambeth

• NSW Sth Coast
    • MATAMA
« Reply #18 on: 26 December, 2018, 03:28:09 pm »
In another thread, someone said, now, "Back to Zephyrs"
Well, since you asked for it....
I took these shots in 2009 at the International Z,Z&C Convention in Geelong.
Mk3 Zodiacs
Mk1 ?
Mk2 Zodiac Convertible
Mk1 Convertibles
Cheers,
Rob
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life". WINSTON CHURCHILL

Gerilgambeth

• NSW Sth Coast
    • MATAMA
« Reply #19 on: 26 December, 2018, 03:38:38 pm »
Some more....
and after I post them, I promise, I'll pull my head in......
Nice Mk1 Convertible parked next to my car.
At the motel. Geelong was full of Zed cars.
Interesting rear treatment on a Mk2 ute.
My choice of all the cars there. A Windsor V8 powered Mk3 Zodiac. Won lots of prizes. But not "Top Paint"......our Purdey won that one.
Cheers,
Rob

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #20 on: 27 December, 2018, 06:30:30 am »
Hello Rod.
Don't pull your head in now.....you've just warmed up I bet.

That one with the pink bottom 1/2. That was the same as Nana and Pop's. So many good memories of looking through the floor at the road.  :'(
Thanks Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #21 on: 27 December, 2018, 03:59:27 pm »
Thanks for posing these pics, they are wonderful. I do like the MK1 Zephyr just on its style. I bet the Zodiacs with the V8's get mobile when stomped on.
Very pleased that you got best paint, well done!
There is no need to stop at any time soon on this topic.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Gerilgambeth

• NSW Sth Coast
    • MATAMA
« Reply #22 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:59:21 am »
Sad news....for me anyway,
It turns out that the "tidy up" of the Zephyr ute I was hoping to buy is more like a "restoration", and as it continues, the price climbs.
Its climbed so far that I've now dropped out as a potential future owner.  I'm disappointed, but something else will come along no doubt.
However, I'm astounded by the prices utes, generally, are bringing. Basket case examples of otherwise ordinary utes are fetching really big money.

But that doesn't have to mean the end of this thread though, right?

There were 3 Zed cars entered in the 1953 Monte Carlo Rally. Here's a photo of the winning car, driven by Maurice Gatsonides, the chap who invented the speed camera, (so we all hate him right?) He invented the thing as an aid in improving his cornering speeds, and it morphed into the revenue raising device we all either love or hate, today.
The other shots show the car after it ran into a lorry a year or so later and now, as it is after restoration.

Cheers,
Rob

Gerilgambeth

• NSW Sth Coast
    • MATAMA
« Reply #23 on: 01 February, 2019, 03:01:50 pm »
Should anyone be interested in seeing a well sorted, well driven, Mk2 Zed car doing its thing in the 2014 Targa Tasmania, then watch this video.
Its titled "Pure Sound", so be sure to turn up the sound.
The engine is obviously not stock and I heard it had a Transit van 4 speed box fitted to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdTXsMvcIs0
Not for Grey Motor fans.......LOL
Cheers,
Rob

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #24 on: 01 February, 2019, 03:51:57 pm »
Beautifull sound, driven like it was stolen and the tacho hardly ever went below 2000 RPM.

Nice work with the camera and the sound of rain towards the end reminded me of what it actually sounds like.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Ian

« Reply #25 on: 01 February, 2019, 09:28:47 pm »
Hi All

Very good clip, The Targa Tasmania comes past our front door every year.   I more than likely saw the Zephyr at the time.  This year we have leg four, our road will be closed between 0831 and 1301 on the Thursday the second of May.   Anyone wanting a good vantage point is welcome to use our front paddock, with nice views of the approach to a sharp lefthander and cars speeding away from us down Preston Rd.

Regards

Ian
1 R&T Engine, 1 Simplex Model D Milk Pump, 1 Ajax Milk Pump, 1 Dawn 611 Post Drill, 1 Ajax 1.5 Piston Pump, 1 Goulds Pyramid 3x5 Piston Pump, 1 Cooper 1hp RV, 14 Chooks, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 1 Wife & 1 Daughter

Gerilgambeth

• NSW Sth Coast
    • MATAMA
« Reply #26 on: 05 February, 2019, 01:46:30 pm »
Oran Park, 1965.....
Mk1 Zephyr leading a pack of angry humpies.