Author Topic: Fuel tank paint  (Read 2477 times)

AUSDOK

Fuel tank paint
« on: 21 November, 2018, 08:45:07 am »
Hi looking at a friends engine he has just restored , he primed the fuel tank with super etch primer and then used Wattle enamel spay pack to finish .After a couple of days fitted tank . he filled with petrol and spilled some it has removed the new paint but not the primer. He is a bit disappointed as it means a repaint. This is not an uncommon problem to see at rallies. My question is what is the best paint that can be applied at home to stop this problem . Regards Rudy

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Fuel tank paint
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2018, 04:24:58 pm »
Epoxy paint stands up to petrol a bit but 2pac is the best so far. Ordinary enamels will fail as he has found out.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

sunshine man

« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2018, 09:36:23 pm »
Hi cobba
Ibelieve you can buy two pack in spray can (one use only) I have never sighted if myself .
They tell me a the hardener is released in to the paint by a pressing a pin or something like that.
Great for small jobs
Regards sunshineman

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2018, 03:58:39 pm »
Brilliant idea. Sounds like it would go well with those cans of Guinness Stout where the ball drops and sets it all in motion.

Polybus

« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2020, 12:21:58 pm »
I know this is an old topic, but maybe this will help someone.

My local Paint/Panel Shop - VG Auto Paints at Girraween in Sydney sells 2K Clear that will go over any base coat, and should make it petrol resistant. 

EXPENSIVE though!!!! Especially considering that once you open it, it goes off in a day or two, so unless you've got all your parts painted and ready to go, its a one use item.

https://vgautopaints.com.au/collections/spray-cans/products/2k-clear-proxl-spray-can?

They also have the ability to mix/match any solid colours you want in a Spray Can as well.

https://vgautopaints.com.au/products/2k-solid-custom-mixed-spray-can?

(PS: I have no affiliation with them - they are just my local shop)

I hope this helps someone.

Polybus

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2020, 09:39:36 pm »
I used 2pac on the David Brown respray and it is fuel resistant but still not fuel proof. If left on a flat surface it will make the paint blister. If you wipe a fuel spill up quickly so far it has not had any effect.
Yes the 2pac spray is available and is expensive and I don't know how it would stand up to a fuel spill.
Something I had to do was treat my fuel tank as it had a bad case of rust inside. I bought the KBS system and went through the 3 steps and coated the inside of the tank. So this coating is fuel prrof and does not blister. It is available in colours as well. Only problem is that it comes in pre packed sizes and once open that begins the curing process so if you replaced the lid it will go off in a few days. So you would need to coat a lot of parts at once for it to be viable and I don't think you can spray it but I know you can brush it but throw the brush away once finished.
This may need a little research to work out what this type of coating is and why it is fuel resistant.