Author Topic: 1927 Imported Dodge Senior Sedan Motor  (Read 7142 times)

nc mentis

1927 Imported Dodge Senior Sedan Motor
« on: 17 December, 2018, 06:25:55 am »
(1)  It's well known that Dodge had Continental build the early and later versions of  the Dodge Senior 6Cyl, altho the latest  production may've been brought in-house by Dodge..
The early 31/4 was built to Feb 28; the later 33/8 was built until 1930.
US domestic replacement parts books describe a 4 main engine...
The May 1938 #12 Victor gasket guide shows the engine as Cont;l 12M; an index page says two engines, 12M and 14M, were supplied to Dodge...(12M the 31/4x41/2, 14M the 33/8x41/2???)...this is the only one of 12-15 period catalogs that mention the Continental IDs, and I find no other makes (per those incomplete catalog) showing 12M or 14M engines...
(2) a 1927 press release/announcement in the Brisbane Courier of the importing of these sedans described a SEVEN main 6Cyl 31/4 x41/2 motor; there's a nice desc of the car and engine..
Does anyone here have one or know o one, or know anything of this alleged 7-main motor???
How many mains are listed for these in AU replacement parts catalogs???
It could well've been just erroneous, or an originally proposed 7 main motor might've not worked  out...any comments appreciated...

sunshine man

Re: 1927 Imported Dodge Senior Sedan Motor
« Reply #1 on: 18 December, 2018, 01:51:05 pm »
Hi there
Can not find any evidence that the dodge brothers used continental engines ever , seems strange when they supplied other companies with engines and or engine components , eg ford.
Could you be confusing the graham brothers trucks engines using the continental engine early in their history
Sunshineman

wee-allis

« Reply #2 on: 18 December, 2018, 03:55:32 pm »

I'm with you Sunshine.
Steve.
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

Windjammer

• Shooting the breeze
    • MATAMA
« Reply #3 on: 18 December, 2018, 04:49:44 pm »
This should tell you who Continental built engines for and when.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Motors_Company
"Fair winds & following seas"

Windjammer

• Shooting the breeze
    • MATAMA
"Fair winds & following seas"

sunshine man

« Reply #5 on: 18 December, 2018, 10:20:46 pm »
Hi
Why would the dodge brothers use an engine sourced from outside their engine plant .
Being the second biggest car maker of the time,
 No mention of chrysler using continental engines , 1928 chrysler buys into dodge brothers .
Sunshineman

sunshine man

« Reply #6 on: 18 December, 2018, 10:24:01 pm »
Hi
Wikipedia is not always accurate
Sunshineman

sunshine man

« Reply #7 on: 18 December, 2018, 11:43:11 pm »
Hi
It is possible that my books are incorrect,
Maybe somebody with a dodge of the period may know
Sunshine

nc mentis

« Reply #8 on: 19 December, 2018, 10:05:28 am »
Many thanks for the interest and comments,,,'
(1) For mention of Dodge having Cont'l build Senior engines see allpar.com thumbnail  Senior history...as to why, I believe it had to do with Dodge trying to catch up with other makes sixes and lacked internal foundry capacity...( I don't ordinarily follow mainline m'f'r's  so that may not be correct)...
For anyone interested in Cont'ls, a more complete list is on the Hemmings Blog thread "Makes using Continentals" or similar; will come up on Google (sorry; never learned to link)...personally, I don't think a "complete " list is possible...Cont'ls book is disappointing in this regard...
My own Cont'l-makes list (limited to pre-war cars, trks and a few taxis and buses)) is probably over 400, but it includes announcements that may never've materialized, prototypes that never made production, and a few odd one-offs made by individuals.
Yes, I was hoping the post'd reach an AU/NZ Dodge  Senior owner or someone who'd had one apart and remembered the mains...
For an exhaustive (exhausting??) piece on the subject see the Dodge Senior thread on the Cont'l Engines forum on aaca.com...
Again, many thxx for replies.
Too many questions; too little time

shubys tractor farm

• SUFFERING SEVERELY FROM RUSTY IRON DISEASE.
« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2019, 11:22:35 pm »
G'DAY ALL  RE nc mentis and your post., Sorry but I got lost in your gobblyde goog.  I AM A DODGE BROTHERS  enthusiast from way back.  I have over 30 Dodge Brothers units in my collection dating from 1916 through to 1934.  I have Dodge Brothers  Senior 6, Standard 6. then I have the DA  Models of coupe roadster, tourer, and sedan. These are all original units - most in working order - requiring little restoration. I also have the original GRAHAM BROTHERS  DELIVERY TRUCK  BELONGING TO APPELTS at Nuriootpa - see my post  under commercial  vehicles  of tomm.
  It seems that I have got  lost in Continental motors  gobblyde goog.
"  All my units have ORIGIONAL  Dodge Brothers or DODGE  MOTORS. '
 I do not understand where you are coming from. I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF dodge brothers  using CONTINENTAL  motors in their units in Australia. Pardon my ignorance- Nor do I wish to challenge what you are stating.  I am only stating my experience ----and as I know my Dodge Brothers backwards and forwards-I cannot see what is your concern.  Shubystractorfarm

nc mentis

« Reply #10 on: 08 July, 2019, 05:30:41 am »
STP: again, many thanks for your reply---
I think one of our difficulties here is that, as Winnie said, we're separated by a common language...
"Continental engine" is probably incorrect; "Continental-built" is probably closer, and I would assume Dodge designed, Cont'l being simply the fabricator, as ir appears Cont'l didn't offer this engine to anyone else. I say appears as I have not made a comprehensive search thru my own limited sources, and I doubt a complete search is possible, given that no authoritative list of everyone Cont'l dealt with is available...
I said above I had one catalog listing; actually, I have two:
1930 Mann Precision Piston Pins catalog lists
1928-29 Sen 6, Victory 6,Std. 6---Comt 6 33/8 bore
1927 Senior 6---Cont Spec 6   31/4 bore... (Exact quotes)...
The May 1938 Victor Gasket catalog lists:
Dodge Bros. (Passenger---6 Cyl. 1927-28. Senior 6.31/4x41/2; 1929-30. 33/8x41/2. (Continental 12M) (Also included are various truck and bus models1927-31). (Exact quote) Hd gskt #668, page 105
The Continental engine section of that catalog has a short  index of Cont'ls listed under individual makes, and includes
 "AD. (Dodge Senior"; the gasket and page # are for the Dodge Bros listing above, AND
"12M-14M (Dodge)", again giving gasket and page # for the Dodge Bros listing above.
I would've sent pix but since my last meltdown my set only transmits in GB instead of KB...
The seven main item I assume was either a misprint or a runaway publicist...
I don't really have a horse in this race; I got involved per other Cont'l engine comments. For me it was just academic (aka idle) curiosity. For authoritative info on this, the AU Dodge/CCptn/Mopar clubs should be consulted.
And, my apologies if I've destrioed any illusions...

nc mentis

« Reply #11 on: 08 July, 2019, 05:35:35 am »
Sorry, didn't se e an EDIT button...my postings now are almost all under Bud Tierney; i was accumulating too many handles to keep track of ---noncompos, NC mentis, clueless (earlier) and more I can't recall now...