Author Topic: Vintage Diesel Tractor Starting Methods  (Read 3563 times)

ChrisWA

Vintage Diesel Tractor Starting Methods
« on: 09 February, 2019, 03:28:16 pm »
Hi all, new to forum.
After a recent visit to the Whiteman Park Tractor Museum (WA), it revived my memories of being a schoolkid in a small country town in WA (near Hyden), where my father was an International Harvester Dealer in the 1950s and early 60s, and he also started farming using some of the old trade-ins, so I was exposed to a few vintage machines.
In particular I remembered the clever ways these engines were started before electric starting, especially the IH TD24 crawler with the petrol/diesel engine, and we also had a couple of Cat D2s.
In trying to find info on-line I couldn't find much, but I knew there was some info in the old Dykes Encyclopedia I still keep safely, and made a small photo album mainly from Dykes.
Before posting this I tried to do the right thing and searched this forum so I don't duplicate, and couldn't find any direct articles or info, so I hope some of you will get something from my album.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/deMji62eiyrsXyocA

Pleased to see many references in various posts to the IH petrol/diesel engine on this forum, as through my life I have hardly met anyone who knows about them. 

Cheers
ChrisWA.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Vintage Diesel Tractor Starting Methods
« Reply #1 on: 09 February, 2019, 03:59:25 pm »
A member here has one of these International tractors that has this starting system but using an electric starter motor. Starts on petrol then switches over to diesel. The starngest system I've seen but it works quite well.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

asw120

« Reply #2 on: 10 February, 2019, 10:21:29 pm »
I have an old WW2 generator here, which if it stays much longer I will inherit.
It has quite a large 4 cylinder one of those. Think I worked out it was called a UD14 (?).

Jarrod.

Oldengines

« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2019, 11:51:56 am »
I Have a TD35 crawler,
knew nothing about them when i picked it up, but had to learn how the system works to get it started,
interesting design, and stumps people when the look at the engine, ie petrol on side , diesel the other,
cheers,
Chester.
Cheers from West Aussie.

ChrisWA

« Reply #4 on: 01 September, 2019, 08:12:00 pm »
I Have a TD35 crawler,
knew nothing about them when i picked it up, but had to learn how the system works to get it started,
interesting design, and stumps people when the look at the engine, ie petrol on side , diesel the other,
cheers,
Chester.

Since my original post above, I have recently looked through some of my Dad's old papers, and found a listing of assets, including a TD35 crawler (not a TD24 as I had remembered).
Who knows, it may be the one you have picked up.  Ours would have been sold in a clearing sale at Hyden/Karlgarin in 1966 or 1967.
Unfortunately, I have no other information (like a serial number) to identify it. 
Just interesting.

Cheers.

Oldengines

« Reply #5 on: 02 September, 2019, 10:47:04 am »

Since my original post above, I have recently looked through some of my Dad's old papers, and found a listing of assets, including a TD35 crawler (not a TD24 as I had remembered).
Who knows, it may be the one you have picked up.  Ours would have been sold in a clearing sale at Hyden/Karlgarin in 1966 or 1967.
Unfortunately, I have no other information (like a serial number) to identify it. 
Just interesting.

Cheers.
[/quote]

I have tracked mine back to comming from the Mount Barker area, but that was later in its life, pity you dont have a serial number,
cheers for now, Chester.
Cheers from West Aussie.