Author Topic: Shearer Prince Plough  (Read 6964 times)

FRANKTONPAGET

Shearer Prince Plough
« on: 26 February, 2019, 07:45:18 pm »
I have just purchased a three furrow Shearer Prince Plough for restoration, these are quite rare in the UK and were imported during WW2 by the firm of Denning of Chard, in Somerset as part of the ploughing up land campaign to grow home grown food as food imports were threatened by German U boats.

I have a original Sales Leaflet for the plough but would like to acquire a parts or instruction book (copy or scan) to assist in the restoration and also details of the spanners shown mounted on the plough frame in a carrier.

The plough is in quite good condition for a implement now 75 years old and a testament to it's robust construction but quite lacking in any remaining paint, so can anyone provide the original
paint colours.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and I would be happy to reimburse any reasonable costs incurred.

regards     Joe Paget        E mail josephwpaget @hotmail.co.uk   

ChrisWA

Re: Shearer Prince Plough
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2019, 01:50:46 am »
The Shearer company of South Australia is still operating as John Shearer.  http://johnshearer.com.au/about-us/
Might be worth contacting to see if they have old records, or some information, if you haven't already done so.
Assuming it is the same company that made your plough 75 years ago.
Good Luck.

ianoz

« Reply #2 on: 15 March, 2019, 06:58:04 am »
Check and see what Plough Books sales have.
http://www.ploughbooksales.com.au/
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more
 Benaraby Central Queensland

FRANKTONPAGET

« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2019, 08:28:38 am »
Thank you both for your helpful suggestions I will give it a go.

FRANKTONPAGET

« Reply #4 on: 08 June, 2019, 03:04:44 am »
I have contacted the John Shearer company twice via the company contact online without any reply, a bit disappointing.

The current Shearer company colours seem to be green body with cream wheels, does anybody know if this has always be the company colour scheme  ? ?

Attached are a couple of scans from the original Shearer Prince plough sales leaflet for information and to see if it jogs any memories

regards Joe Paget

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 08 June, 2019, 01:57:53 pm »
I have found that some (not many) companies although they have a web site and an email link they simply don't read them or bother to reply. I would take myself out of pain and phone them to find out. Then you have covered that line of enquiry.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2019, 06:21:33 am »
The current Shearer company colours seem to be green body with cream wheels, does anybody know if this has always be the company colour scheme  ? ?
Hello Joe
I have to admit that all the old Shearer plows I can remember are rusty brown in colour. Actually they're all probably rusty looking because they were all left outside in the elements.
To get an idea of what colour Shearer gear was, look at other Shearer gear, combines, harvesters etc, from the same era. There's plenty to see on Mr Google.

Cheers Scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2019, 02:20:20 pm »
Or unbolt some parts to see what is hiding underneath at some joints.

FRANKTONPAGET

« Reply #8 on: 22 June, 2019, 06:47:39 pm »
Thank you for your suggestions, I am hoping to commence the restoration as soon as I complete house alterations and we have to keep the ladies happy !!!.

I have had a bit of luck and acquired a original Parts book for the plough from a well known internet auction site for the bargain price of ?1.75, the parts book is for the "ENGLISH MODEL" of the Shearer Prince Plough although the printer for the book was in Adelaide Australia.
I probably think the variations would be in the plough mouldboards/shares to suit UK soil conditions as when I was in Australia I was told ploughing was shallow compared with the UK to maintain moisture levels in the soil.
The disc coulters seem identical to those on International ploughs, that two leg "wishbone" design rather than the more common single stem arrangement seen on other makers of the time. I wonder if International supplied them or Shearer copied them, must make a strong robust unit. 

FRANKTONPAGET

« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2021, 07:35:11 pm »
I am sure like many I have been using the COVID shutdown to have a good sort out and get thing in order.

I have subscribed to TOMM from when it started and when a club friend bought a Shearer drill at a farm sale I submitted a help letter to TOMM and got a reply from Malcolm Gardner in South Australia with some Shearer brochures. In my sort out I came across these colour brochures which will now help me with colours to paint my Shearer Prince Plough.
I was subsequently able to visit Malcolm when I came to Australia and look over his wonderful collection of vintage tractors .We still correspond by E mail and Malcolm has now retired and sold his collection, he does not enjoy the best of health but still helps out at his local club.
Looking at the post mark I realised he sent these brochures thirty odd years ago, where has the time gone !

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #10 on: 26 June, 2021, 08:43:12 pm »
Good to hear it is still a 'work in progress' and that ou have a guide to the colours. Werethe colours as you suggested in a previous thread? Any pics of your project ads well please?

FRANKTONPAGET

« Reply #11 on: 28 June, 2021, 08:21:02 pm »
Colours were a light green with white wheels,  strangely a very similar sort of colour to that used by Denning of Chard who imported the Shearer products during world war two and after.

The plough is tucked away at present and third in the queue after two other implements I have started restoring being a Bedford Plough Co set of trailed disc harrows and a Ransomes trailed stubblebuster.

I seem to have got more interested in vintage working events than static rallies and it soon becomes apparent that vintage tractors have survived and probably ploughs but far too many interesting trailed implements have ended up in the melting pot in the UK.
I found it most interesting in Australia whilst out visiting to wander off through Farm back yards and see the collection of early tractors, machinery, cars, commercials and ww2 vehicles that were no longer used and manufactured not only in the UK but also USA and Europe. I suppose that situation may have changed in 30 years.
I will post some pictures when I start restorations

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #12 on: 28 June, 2021, 09:29:54 pm »
I would like to see what a nd how each project progresses. Many farmers out here had a habbit of unhooking stuff out of the way and leave it there.
Maybe once you have your trailed equipment done you might buy a tractor and start attending some of the many ploughing days just for fun.

FRANKTONPAGET

« Reply #13 on: 01 July, 2021, 07:17:35 pm »
Well I already have some tractors, standard fordsons and a super major but also some OTA and Singer Monarch light tractors that were made not far away.
I will try and add some photos but attachment process seems more difficult than other forums

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #14 on: 01 July, 2021, 09:00:11 pm »
All pictures must be compressed before attaching. Once shrunk it is easy to attach. Should be a thread on the home page to guide you through the steps, if not let us know.