Author Topic: mystery engine  (Read 9848 times)

franco

Re: mystery engine
« Reply #15 on: 01 April, 2019, 12:05:59 pm »
While the illustrated engine probably was built as a stationary engine, there does not appear to be any record of Sarolea building these. It also bears some resemblance to several early single cylinder car engines of about six horsepower by makers like DeDion, Renault and Peugeot, but I can't find any close matches. These would have been bolted rigidly to the chassis with a similar mounting to that shown. The radiator was often behind the engine so cranking access was no problem. Most of these engines would have had a battery and coil with a make and break arrangement for the ignition.

I suspect that the magneto and carburettor on the illustrated engine are not original. It would be interesting to know whether the fasteners are metric or imperial.

The Sarolea logo is quite distinctive though. I wonder whether they did build a run of stationary engines, or perhaps built a small run of cars in their early days, or built some engines for another car manufacturer.

Frank.

Eric posted the above while I was typing this.
Cairns, Queensland

clappo

• Hamilton Victoria
« Reply #16 on: 01 April, 2019, 05:39:55 pm »
May be out of something like this
collector and restorer of stationary engines located in Hamilton Victoria

clappo

• Hamilton Victoria
« Reply #17 on: 01 April, 2019, 05:41:02 pm »
Shelsley Special
collector and restorer of stationary engines located in Hamilton Victoria

AUSDOK

« Reply #18 on: 01 April, 2019, 06:37:38 pm »
Have spoken to John from Sarolea in Belgium who tells me the company did make stationary engines. He will email me with the information. Hopefully we will all be a bit wiser at the end of thir journey . Rudy

Anton

« Reply #19 on: 02 April, 2019, 06:26:10 am »
Hi Rudy,
until now I have not found proof that Sarolea have made stationary engines!

more info about Sarolea:  https://www.sarolea.com/Story            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarol%C396A9a

https://nl.pinterest.com/esjeer/sarolea/         https://www.bapa.aero/Sarolea%20Epervier.htm

I have ask some engine collectors in Belgium, as soon I have more info I will let you know
Anton

AUSDOK

« Reply #20 on: 02 April, 2019, 07:34:53 am »
Thanks for your reply Anton ,this engine certainly is a bit of a mystery. Hopefully it can be sorted and we will all be a bit wiser . It is interesting that Sarolea also made aircraft engines so anything is a possibility.  Regards Rudy

AUSDOK

« Reply #21 on: 03 April, 2019, 07:43:16 am »
Hi Eric you said there was a image on Facebook would it be possible for you to put it on the forum The photos of the engine are in Belgium and the Sarolea collectors are meeting on Friday to see if they can put some light on the subject Thanks Rudy

tractorfan

« Reply #22 on: 03 April, 2019, 04:21:21 pm »
I don't believe this is a stationary or marine engine. Rudy, can you find out from the meeting if Sarolea made tricars or forecars around 1905? as I think this is a possibility.

AUSDOK

« Reply #23 on: 03 April, 2019, 06:23:07 pm »
I will let the people at sarolea do there thing . I am by nature impatient  but this has been a mystery  for a couple of decades . A few more days won't  matter too much. Rudy

AUSDOK

« Reply #24 on: 12 April, 2019, 07:03:48 am »
Okay the conundrum continues. Bjorn  from Sarolea has gotten back to me re the engine. Yes they did make stationary engines during the occupation to run fire fighting pumps. They cant find from their records anything about my engine and have come to the conclusion that it is not a Sarolea.  This does not explain how it has the emblem on the engine. I have asked him to try to find out why it has the emblem ,also I have asked it is a possibility that during the occupation there was a time when records where not kept. or maybe the base is Sarolea and somebody has replaced the top end. Any further info would be appreciated. Regards Rudy

AUSDOK

« Reply #25 on: 01 May, 2019, 07:02:51 am »
Well the mystery is solved ,I have just received a email from Sarolea confirming it is one of there engines. One of their collectors has confirmed it. He thinks it is about 1907 but is doing more research into it. They are unable to find another one in Belgium. Hoping to get more info in the near future. Thank you all for your input. Regards Rudy

Eric Schulz

« Reply #26 on: 01 May, 2019, 07:48:27 am »
That's good news, Rudy. It is no wonder that nobody in Australia could identify it, when it has taken so long for the people in its homeland. It may be the only one in the world.

Eric

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #27 on: 01 May, 2019, 03:50:20 pm »
Well done Rudy, good research and LUCK as well.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #28 on: 01 May, 2019, 05:10:31 pm »
There is one more or part of one some where as some time back someone because of the "S" asked what model Southern Cross it was
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

AUSDOK

« Reply #29 on: 01 May, 2019, 05:33:47 pm »
It would be interesting to see another one as the more information we can gather the better for everyone.  Regards Rudy