Author Topic: Unknown small engine.  (Read 3125 times)

asw120

Unknown small engine.
« on: 06 April, 2019, 11:50:39 pm »
Hi folks, I picked this up today. Was inside a huge, old steam / pressure cleaner (Kerrick Kleaner).
I don't think it's original, nor was it mounted (it was thrown in upside - down).

Does anybody recognise it? Paint suggests ex - military.

Thanks, Jarrod.

AUSDOK

Re: Unknown small engine.
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2019, 02:54:25 am »
hi cooper RV . Regards Rudy

Ian

« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2019, 08:51:11 am »
Hi

Most defiantly a Cooper RV 1hp, more than likely came of a shearing plant.  You will find the engine number on the drive side above and to the right off the oil filler, the first 2 numbers are the year it was made.

Regards

Ian
1 R&T Engine, 1 Simplex Model D Milk Pump, 1 Ajax Milk Pump, 1 Dawn 611 Post Drill, 1 Ajax 1.5 Piston Pump, 1 Goulds Pyramid 3x5 Piston Pump, 1 Cooper 1hp RV, 14 Chooks, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 1 Wife & 1 Daughter

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2019, 01:43:34 pm »
The came under a number of different names like Marino, Sunbeam, etc
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

Eric Schulz

« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2019, 09:21:50 pm »
Identifying this engine is not as simple as it looks. As Jarrod said, it is painted khaki. Did Cooper supply engines to the army? So, is it a Cooper or a Johnson?

The fins on the cylinder head are straight, like a Johnson or Cooper JM. Later Cooper engines had curved fins. The JM was the first Cooper model in this line of engines.

I have not seen a Johnson and a JM side by side to compare them, so would not like to say just who made this engine.

Eric

clappo

• Hamilton Victoria
« Reply #5 on: 08 April, 2019, 08:53:16 am »
Eric the breather and the governor rod are  the easiest way to identify a Cooper engine at first site then look for the engine number near the breather regards Peter
collector and restorer of stationary engines located in Hamilton Victoria

asw120

« Reply #6 on: 08 April, 2019, 08:37:00 pm »
Thanks for that, everyone. I knew it looked familiar. Your replies led me to pictures of the Merino version, which I have seen at engine shows.
Unfortunately, it has had a throttle cable conversion (possibly never finished) with brackets brazed on right where the tag used to be on the cowling.
The only stamping I can find on the crankcase is tiny and has the familiar Department of Defense arrow above "1956".

I'm guessing that's how old it is. A national library item shows it once had a fuel tank underneath, which the pickup confirms.

It turns with a little compression, so I will tinker with it in the hope of getting it running.

Thanks again, Jarrod.

clappo

• Hamilton Victoria
« Reply #7 on: 09 April, 2019, 11:47:11 am »
If its a Cooper engine this is where the number will be sometimes very faint
collector and restorer of stationary engines located in Hamilton Victoria

asw120

« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2019, 05:02:04 pm »
I'll have to take all the paint off, as that's where the stamping I did find is.

Thanks, Jarrod.

AUSDOK

« Reply #9 on: 12 April, 2019, 07:05:38 am »
Hi Jarrod dont worry about little compression as they did not have a lot. Let me know if you are after any bits. Regards Rudy

asw120

« Reply #10 on: 12 April, 2019, 09:28:37 pm »
Thanks Rudy, just like my little Ballarat Villiers, then. You wouldn't think it would run, but it's an easy starter.

Jarrod.