Author Topic: Ready for wet sand blasting  (Read 8561 times)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Ready for wet sand blasting
« on: 01 June, 2019, 04:04:08 pm »
Weather permitting, tomorrow is the day for doing the wet sand blasting. Of course today has had light showers and hopefully not tomorrow. So all of this makes a tractor again, one day.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Ready for wet sand blasting
« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2019, 02:10:45 pm »
No go, too wet. Next attempt is in 2 weeks

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2019, 02:15:20 pm »
Front badge cleaned up and ready to go. Removed both red and blue paint. Blue possibly came from an earlier life in the navy or air force.

wee-allis

« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2019, 07:13:37 pm »

Cobba, I have a VK1A David brown and it is painted blue; done by the last owner. 

When I bought my Allis B it was painted olive drab and so many guys told me that the Army used this model so it was obviously an ex-army tractor. (I can't imagine what the Army would use a 23hp, light weight tractor for in 1938).  Turned out that the colour was a blend of all the left over paint the previous owner had when he painted the house.

When I stripped it down to bare metal, the first colour paint on it was iridescent purple, so I suppose it was first owned by a rock band.
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2019, 03:57:23 pm »
Hi Steve,
There is another area on the front of the tractor, directly below the grille and where I normally mount the front number plate. It too is the same blue with traces of big white numbers or letters or both, just too bad to make it out and is what I think may have been part of the history of the tractor. Only guessing though.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2019, 05:11:52 pm »
I just packed up the only head light that was on it and it is mainly blue with a bit of red over the top.

wee-allis

« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2019, 07:21:11 pm »
Hi John,
Not saying that it wasn't Navy or Air Force, just sayin.
Cheers,
Steve
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #7 on: 07 June, 2019, 04:03:38 pm »
For sure Steve. No offense at all, always happy to learn.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #8 on: 08 June, 2019, 01:51:57 pm »
I bought a new set of bonnet clips. I only had 3 of the originals and they were a bit rough and ordinary on a good day. Listed them for sale and they went in no time flat which in turn partly paid for the new ones. The new ones had a bad paint job so I rubbed them all back and re painted them.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #9 on: 11 June, 2019, 04:00:12 pm »
The next step was suppose to be an easy one, clean up the radiator and spray it. I removed the shroud and made some 'adjustments' to the width of the radiator blind so that it clears the grille when being used. So when I went to lift the shroud off I had to remove the screw on radiator cap. I did not like what I saw inside, filth. When I drained the system it was filled with coolant and you can't see the tops of the cores so I drained it and removed the unit in one piece and never thought any more about. The tractor cannot be warmed up by sitting in the back yard even with a blind up you have to drive it or load it up before the temp gauge starts to register. We have been on some treks in high temps working the engine hard in low gears going up and down steep dirt tracks and never once has this ever looked like getting hot.
Well it is not going back together like it is so I have to start looking about for a repairer to clean it out and hopefully not find any leaks.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #10 on: 18 June, 2019, 04:21:10 pm »
Almost everything is now in etch primer. The fuel tank is on the work bench as I now need to solder up some pin holes  ::)
Yep there is a sand pit under David but it was still wet and not blowing around so on went the paint.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #11 on: 20 June, 2019, 02:36:29 pm »
Fuel tank sorted.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #12 on: 21 June, 2019, 03:55:03 pm »
Wheel wells painted for further rust prevention. Next will be colour but expecting cold wet change so will wait for that to pass.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #13 on: 30 June, 2019, 04:19:08 pm »
Well yesterday was drizzle all morning then late afternoon sunshine but too late to start spraying. Today was just perfect weather for the spraying to start. So I warmed up the compressor, blew everything off and started mixing and spraying. I got the tractor skid done although in the pic there are some places still waiting to get covered. Even now all I see is RED so late today I had another look about and found a couple of small spots I missed so they can be touched up later. I started with painting the rims as I want them to harden up properly before getting the tyres fitted back on and then back onto the skid. I am pleased with the colour and the way it went on but I ended up using slightly less thinners than suggested as it was a bit too thin and runny.
Progress at last !

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #14 on: 01 July, 2019, 04:50:38 pm »
I got impatient today so I put his face together.