Author Topic: southern cross ET-B workshop manual.  (Read 5195 times)

bigjohn

southern cross ET-B workshop manual.
« on: 26 July, 2019, 01:36:55 pm »
Hi i have just acquired a southern cross ET-B diesel engine No 46838 air cooled 2.5hp at 1500rpm Iam looking for a workshop manual either purchase or down load a Pdf file as i am going to strip it down because it is seized an also is there any parts still available hope you can help kind regards bigjohn

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: southern cross ET-B workshop manual.
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2019, 04:15:58 pm »
RustyEngines may be able to help you when he checks in next or maybe Plough Book Sales might have them but wait until a few replies come in.
Welcome to the Forum too.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2019, 05:54:11 pm »
Yes I manuals as a PDF file contact through here
http://southerncrossregister.nqmp.org/
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

Alex Stewart

• BigAl
« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2019, 11:05:52 pm »
Hello BigJohn
I have just finished putting an ET-B back together and it is running beautifully. First place to look, when you say the engine is seized, is around the flywheel cowling. I thought my engine was seized internally as it sat with a sump full of water for ~ 42 years but it was the cowling seized to the flywheel. The internals were all in excellent condition because the crappy oil in the sump coated all the internals as the water rose up in the sump. For a photocopied manual, try the link below.

http://www.ploughbooksales.com.au/43.htm

Cheers,

BigAl
BigAl. Resurrecting dead engines.

bigjohn

« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2019, 11:26:31 am »
hi thanks for the response I have removed the barrel and the piston is stuck in the bottom of the barrel which I am soaking at the moment but I still cant turn the crank but there is a lot of rubbish in the fan cowling I cant work out how to remove the 2 bolts at the bottom of the cowling which are internal regards bigjohn

AUSDOK

« Reply #5 on: 07 August, 2019, 08:02:26 am »
Hello bigjohn what I use to soak stuck pistons is a 50/ 50 mixture of acetone and atf. This works for me. When you tap the piston make sure your drift sits on the skirt of the piston and not the center. I am still looking for a piston if anybody knows where there is one. Regards Rudy

Alex Stewart

• BigAl
« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2019, 02:44:05 pm »
To get to the bolts you have to remove the flywheel. As I mentioned previously, the cowling could be frozen to the flywheel. I used a rubber mallet to tap around the cowling. I then screwed a 1/2 inch HT bolt in the flywheel and used this to apply some pressure using a bar. It took a bit of effort but the flywheel moved about 2 - 2.5 cm initially. I put plenty of CRC around the flywheel and, by moving it backward and forward, I had it turning freely in about 15 minutes. I am not saying this is the problem with your engine, but it's worth a look. Cheers, BigAl.
BigAl. Resurrecting dead engines.

AUSDOK

« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2019, 09:17:59 am »
may of found a piston ,my engine has the chrome inserts in the valve seats ,does that mean the piston should be a flat top or should it have a recessed top on the piston. Regards Rudy

bigjohn

« Reply #8 on: 07 September, 2019, 11:55:01 am »
hi Alex sorry for taking so long to reply I live 100ks from my son and its his computer I am using  I have finally removed the piston from the barrel piston looks ok but the crank still wont moved it is probably what you say there is a lot of rubbish in the bottom of the cowling if it is dirt and stuff I was gunna hit it with my gerny and try to flush it out . I also cant see how to remove the large flat  belt pulley which is attached to the fly wheel . do you have a manual of my motor you could scan and send to me by email I don't really want to purchase a full book that covers all models as I have limited funds. Thanks for being so helpful regards bigjohn 

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #9 on: 07 September, 2019, 04:27:55 pm »
Hi bigjohn, read reply #2 and end Ian an email address for your manual.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

AUSDOK

« Reply #10 on: 27 September, 2019, 09:04:37 am »
Looking from the front on which side should the stop be written on the fuel pump rack please. Thanks Rudy

ajaffa1

« Reply #11 on: 30 September, 2019, 08:40:49 am »
Hi AUSDOK, The piston you require looks like the pictures below, I have the phone number of a guy in Toowoomba has has a lot of new and used parts.

Bob

ajaffa1

« Reply #12 on: 30 September, 2019, 08:53:17 am »
Hi AUSDOC, further to my previous post I have just taken a photo of my fuel injector pump, this is the later Bosch unit, earlier engines had a Pyrox pump made under license in Australia.

I will be stripping this pump and servicing it some time and will post some pictures of the innards when I do.

Bob

AUSDOK

« Reply #13 on: 01 October, 2019, 06:24:53 am »
Hi Bob thanks very much for your information re the piston , I have obtained a piston from Toowoomba and having looked at several ETB,S with the chrome insert in the valve seats they all have flat topped pistons. They may of  changed the design as per Rob Laurents book. I have got it in the engine and it is running ,although there is a issue with the fuel pump that I am in the process of resolving. I am as usual grateful for the information that is made freely available to users of the forum. In regards to the pump when you dismantle it could you please let me know if the helix is left or right handed . Regards Rudy

winnock

« Reply #14 on: 12 October, 2019, 06:30:19 pm »
Hi Ausdok. If Bob's pump is correctly assembled, it is shown with the rack in the zero or cut off position. The plate attached to the rack is to limit the maximum amount of fuel when the rack moves to the left. This would mean a left hand helix. Incidentally the plate looks to be incorrectly fitted. It should be removed from the rack and re positioned 90 degrees in a clockwise direction. It will then limit the rack travel, and allow extra travel for starting fuel when tilted.
Hugh   
Diesel fuel injection equipment & vintage windmills.