Author Topic: New Member  (Read 228 times)

Polybus

« on: 23 August, 2019, 11:11:54 pm »
Just a quick hello to introduce myself.

I'm a Fly In-Fly Out worker who works 2 weeks on then 2 weeks off year round - so I spend my 2 weeks off playing with Stationary  Engines.

I've got a stack of them ranging from a couple of little J.A.P. Models 2A and 2S which are currently pride of place on my kitchen table at my work location - they are progressing slowly because I have no workshop and very few tools at my workplace.

I've got a collection of J.A.P.s from the Model 2s through Models 3, 4 5 and 6, all waiting for restoration.

I also have many little air-cooled Villiers - Models 10, 12, 20, 25 and a couple of BSAs.

On the Larger side I have some Australian Moffatt Virtues, both tank and hopper cooled, and a kerosene version as well.

I live in just a normal suburban house and I have done a sterling job of hiding all these engines from my partner  ;D

I have a Lister D and 3 Lister Junior's awaiting restoration, and one of those is going to be a nightmare. Two of the three are seized, but one of them is diaboloical. I'm not sure what is seized, the piston? The crank? The valves?  Probably all of them....

I have lots of ideas about how to get the piston out, but none of them will work - I really need to get the connecting rod off the crank to enable me to take the whole hopper/piston/connecting rod off the base to enable me to use some sort of puller to get the piston out. but I can't get any spanners in to undo the nuts on the bottom of the connecting rod cap....those nuts are below the level of the viewing port so I can't get any spanners on to them and.......I'd best stop there - or I'll carry on all night....

Anyway - thanks for having me here - and when I start work on the seized Lister Junior - you'll be the first to know.

oldgoat

Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2019, 10:13:12 pm »
If you undo the cylinder base nuts you may be able to lift the cylinder and piston high enough to get at the conrod nuts.(assuming the crankshaft isn't seized as well)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #2 on: 25 August, 2019, 09:33:42 pm »
Welcome polybus to this great hobby. I would suggest that you slowly start breaking the news to your partner that you have another interest and its not another woman. For that she will be grateful and possibly like my wife have a keen interest in the hobby.
Over time you will gain the skills to strip these challenging engines using all kinds of different techniques and remember that brute force should be the last resort. Start collecting some auto transmission oil and mix it 50:50 with accetone to start the soaking process to release the stuck engines. Work on one at a timethat way it is not confusing and parts dont get mixed up.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Polybus

« Reply #3 on: 25 August, 2019, 10:10:35 pm »
OldGoat - ahhhhhh- you cunning old goat.

I wish I had thought of that.

I?ll give it a try - I?ll need to somehow rig up something to lift the hopper/barrel - I?ll probably use my old engine crane.

Cobbadog - it has previously soaked in diesel for 6 months - the guy I bought it off soaked it - had no success and gave up. I, on the other hand are more tenacious.....

Thanks for the input.