Author Topic: ROLSON Tap and Die Set  (Read 2643 times)

Polybus

ROLSON Tap and Die Set
« on: 24 August, 2019, 10:06:12 pm »
Howdy,

I'm after a very small set of Tap and Dies for making brass screws and threaded rods etc - and I found a ROLSON set online - from the UK.

I've not heard of them.

I am well aware of the "get what you pay for" principle, and I always try to buy the best tools I can afford for the job - but given I will probably use these things about twice a year - I doubt I will be wearing them out with constant use - so I don't really want to pay hundreds of dollars for them, having said that, I don't want to throw my money away on rubbish either.

This kit claims to be HSS rather than the cheaper Carbon Steel, so I'm hoping it wont be rubbish.

On the other hand - I found it on an online auction site...... :-\

Anyone from the UK wish to comment on Rolson tools?

They are mid priced - so I am not expecting the Earth, and I won't be giving them an incredibly hard time, but I do want something that works.

Do Rolson have a decent reputation? As long as they are at least "decent" quality and not complete rubbish, I'll be happy.

Or are they just rebranded generic chinese tools that flood the internet?

Any comments.

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
Re: ROLSON Tap and Die Set
« Reply #1 on: 25 August, 2019, 05:00:41 pm »
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #3 on: 25 August, 2019, 09:26:12 pm »
I buy all my taps and dies from LPR Tools in Victoria. I use a lot of BSF and BSW stuff and they sold me a group of 6 common size taps and dies and are of the Aprica brand. SO far so very good, I have just finished a total restoration of a Cropmaster tractor and used them to clean up threads plus cut new ones when a bolt was missing.
Not long after buying the BSF set I had an issue with one of the dies so I contacted LPR and spoke to them about what I was doing and how I was using the die and they imediately put a replacement in the mail for me at no charge.
I can't remember if they are carbon or HSS but I can check that out tomorrow if you like but LPR certainly are good to deal with and by my experience back their product with the best after sales service you could ask for.
I say this as it is true and I have no associated interests in the company, just a very satisfied customer.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Polybus

« Reply #4 on: 25 August, 2019, 10:02:00 pm »
Thanks for the input - I reckon I might spend the extra money and go with LPR if I can get the very small sizes I want.