Author Topic: Can I run a Donaldson tipped 4 up off a battery charger or battery  (Read 407 times)

Ihcmtype

Can I run a Donaldson tipped 4 up off a battery charger or battery
« on: 27 September, 2019, 05:47:09 pm »
HI my maggy on my ronaldson tippett 4hp type n has no spark can i run off a battery charger or battery cheers ken

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Can I run a Donaldson tipped 4 up off a battery charger or battery
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2019, 04:01:37 pm »
With a bit of work you can run it off a battery but is easier in the long term to repair the magneto. If you post up some pics of your maggy, make and model maybe we might be able to help you get it sparking again. Sometimes it is an easy fix and sometime a bit tricky but would be worth the effort to try.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

ajaffa1

Re: Can I run a Donaldson tipped 4 up off a battery charger or battery
« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2019, 08:31:01 am »
Hi Ihcmtype, I suspect the magneto would be a Lucas RS1 or SR1 these are not that scary to work on. replacing the condenser and cleaning/setting the points will usually get them going. Cobadog knows of a ceramic condenser modification that is much more reliable than the original.

I recently picked up a replacement magneto for the Cooper engine I am restoring. I found it on Ebay, it was in pieces and cost me $35 including postage. It now gives out a good spark after cleaning and reassembly, no spare parts were needed.

Good luck,

Bob