Author Topic: McDonald 4hp spi Diesel.  (Read 8891 times)

Grasshopper

McDonald 4hp spi Diesel.
« on: 24 October, 2019, 05:16:58 pm »
I have recently purchased a 4hp SPI McDonald which runs very well, however it is losing water very slowly out of water  hopper, and when running some water drips slowly out around fuel injector and the oil is slightly contaminated going milky in sump.
I suspect the head gasket may be the cause.
before I pull the head off can a head gasket be made or is it a special type with copper.
Guess I will find out when the head comes off.
I am wanting a water hopper lid if anybody has a spare to sell.
Grasshopper Max
m 0437739766

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: McDonald 4hp spi Diesel.
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2019, 02:40:17 pm »
I haven't started to pull our 5hp Mac apart yet but I would also guess that there may be a gasket between hopper and block and water might get in through there. I think you will need a copper gasket and if non are available there are many places that can make one up for you.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Grasshopper

« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2019, 11:51:32 am »
Thanks for reply John & Dee,(Cobbadog)
You are correct about the copper gasket.
I have now pulled the head off my 4hp SPI McDonald and found the gasket surrounding the head was in poor condition and leaking water into the cylinder head and oil gallery.
There was no copper head gasket fitted only a heap of silicon, somebody did a botch job on this.  Drained all milky oil out and flushed.
I have cleaned up all the surfaces, can make the gasket for the water passages, I would like to buy a copper head gasket if any one has one they would like to sell, also looking for a water hopper lid.
If all fails I guess I may be able to get someone to make a head gasket or purchase some copper sheeting and make one.
Apart from that the engine is in good condition with bearings and bore all good.
Anyway thanks for reply cobbadog.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2019, 04:43:38 pm »
G'Day Grasshopper,
Before fitting the head back on make a template of the head. Either using a piece of cardboard and a small hammer and tap around ALL the edges and holes. This gives a gasket place an exact copy of what it is you need, after that they will need to know what make and model engine and from that they should know what the correct thickness of the new copper gasket should be. I can't think of a supplier of these gaskets as an off the shelf part so contacting a gasket manufacturer will be your best option.
Depending on where you are will determine where you go to buy.
In the TOMM there is a company based in Sydney that makes copper gaskets, Swansons I think, but do a Google search for head gasket makers Australia and this will give you options as to who to contact. From memory there is a supplier in Qld and Vic so won't be hard to find.

Grasshopper

« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2019, 05:32:19 pm »
Hello Cobbadog,
Thanks for the info on the gaskets.
I have emailed off to Swanson Gaskets and given them my needs, see how I go.
I live in Warwick Qld.
If anybody interested I have a knurled decompression handle for a Southern Cross yb if any one interested. They are rare to acquire.
I also have a brand new custom made stainless steel rectangular water tank with lid that bolts onto Ronaldson Tippet CE Diesel engine for sale. my mobile 0437739766.
I am looking out for a user manual for the 4hp SPI McDonald.
Let you know how I go with gaskets.

Grasshopper Max

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 29 October, 2019, 09:14:01 pm »
Beware, Scotty lives there too.

Grasshopper

« Reply #6 on: 01 November, 2019, 11:18:21 am »
Here is a couple of photo's of 4Hp SPI with head off.
Am sourcing around for gaskets for head at the moment.
Cheers Grasshopper Max.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #7 on: 01 November, 2019, 09:06:19 pm »
Looks a nice engine. Do you have a pic of the old gasket?
There was an engine and I can't remember it that used just a round ring copper gasket and then seals around the holes like o rings.

Grasshopper

« Reply #8 on: 02 November, 2019, 12:24:26 am »
I Was talking to a couple of people that have had the 4 HP McDonald SPI engines and they said the engine has a thin copper ring then a outer gasket surrounding the five water holes and oil passage,
with rubber plugs around the 5 water inlet/outlet holes.
Apparently you can get by without the rubber plugs if a liberal rubberised gasket glue is used both sides of the gasket.
The copper ring takes up forming a good cylinder seal.
The bore diameter  of this engine is 3 1//2 inches.
Still waiting on various contacts to see what gasket set I can come up with.
Worst scenario is I can procure the copper plate and make the copper ring myself, plus cut a gasket for water jackets.
Once I get it back to running again it will be a big clean up and paint job, then make a transporter for it.
Steel wheels are hard to come by, but I do attend a lot of sales and may get lucky.
I like working on the engines.
I did have the entire collection of 4Stroke Villiers all done up including the Mk414 the biggest Villiers made with JAP influence on design, It had a crank handle to start it.
I sold the whole collection to make room in my shed. Still have a few Villiers Left.
Cheers for now,
Grasshopper Max

Grasshopper

« Reply #9 on: 02 November, 2019, 12:32:07 am »
Sorry ,Cobbadog, forgot to answer your question,
Unfortunately the water jacket crumbled into pieces when the head came off, rubber pieces everywhere and old gasket pieces, there wasn't a copper ring fitted only some sort of compound in the ring recess which I have removed as you can see in the photo's,
I have made a profile of the water jacket gasket if you need a picture I can post.
Grasshopper Max

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #10 on: 02 November, 2019, 04:34:18 pm »
No thanks, no pic required. Sounds as though this is the engine that had the o rings etc as described. Maybe there is a gasket manufacturer here in Oz that already does the set and eliminate a lot of issues in making. I heard about the sale of the Villiers collection, hope it went to a good home.

peter dixon

« Reply #11 on: 02 November, 2019, 05:09:48 pm »
i think a head gasket made of the now illegal klingerite? that was used for car extractor gaskets, and thick o rings with smear of silastic or sika or similar product should get you out of trouble for little expense. thats all my sd 2hp has.  the extractor gasket stuff was a bit thick, about 40thou would do. if you cant find any you will be in the same boat as me now because my local engineering shop bloke threw his out due to the asbestos scare.  there is asbestos free stuff available

Grasshopper

« Reply #12 on: 03 November, 2019, 01:00:07 am »
Thanks for info Peter,
I have a lot of enquiries out with different firms, Swansons reckon they can make me gaskets if I send them profiles made out of good quality cardboard.
A couple of other people are checking what they may have and a nephew over in WA has some good contacts from various collectors.
Posting a pic of my Villiers engine collection that I sold. the biggest Villiers was a mk 444  (not 414 as I previous said)The chap who bought them was from Stanthorpe, not far from Warwick where I live in Queensland.
Regards,
Grasshopper Max

Grasshopper

« Reply #13 on: 16 November, 2019, 04:26:09 pm »
At this stage all is confusing as to what sort of gasket set up for the head of my SPI McDonald.
Received a gasket set from Vintage Motor Spares being a piston round cylinder gasket of composite material and thick at .08 plus five rubber rings which are meant to seal water tubes.
Problem is nothing else to cover oil gallery where pushrods operate.
I tried fitting it with a homemade gasket for oil gallery,
Had plenty of compression and engine started and ran well.
Filled water hopper and water ran out of gasket so I did not have a good seal. Fortunately did not go into oil.
Have checked cylinder head no cracks and piston sleeve all seems fine.
Waiting on hand book from plough sales so I can work out what type and thickness gaskets I should be using.
Perhaps one of our fellow readers can help out in this department?
Regards,
Grasshopper Max

Grasshopper

« Reply #14 on: 17 November, 2019, 11:54:47 am »
A little more information on head gaskets for my SPI McDonalds.
The head gasket I received would have been correct if my engine was a SE model with exterior pushrods.
My SPI has internal pushrods going through a side opening in the head which uses a different gasket set.
See what I can sort out this coming week.
I am still looking for a hopper lid and any other parts some one may wish to sell.
Cheers
Grasshopper Max.