Author Topic: McDonald 4hp spi Diesel.  (Read 3506 times)

Grasshopper

Re: McDonald 4hp spi Diesel.
« Reply #30 on: 25 February, 2020, 10:50:28 pm »
I guess by now Cobberdog you are well into shaping the timbers on your transporter project.
I received my head for th McDonald SPI today from our local engine shop and they did a stirling job of acid washing head, refacing valves and seats then lapping in valves.
Should have lots of compression when fitted back onto engine.
Had another look at Lister CS, paintwork not so good for an unused engine, still had delivery tag on crankshaft.
Going price $2500, a bit steep for me, I offered less and left offer on the table. All the original gear with it even flat pulley.
Your comments which were very valid I bore in Mind.
Today I bought a 1930 3.1 Lister CS 600rpm, quite a history purchased in 1930 for a dairy farm and ran a vacuum pump for many years before being retired and stored in its original settings.
Needs a water hopper and muffler fuel tank is there along with crank handle.
Unit turns over.
I will take the Isuzu ute up to pick it up tomorrow, a round trip of 400k.
A couple of pics.
This engine business tends to get in your blood.
Cheers,
Grasshopper Max

Grasshopper

« Reply #31 on: 25 February, 2020, 10:54:21 pm »
Oops, Villiers not the Lister,
Pictures of Lister 3.1
Grasshopper Max.

asw120

« Reply #32 on: 26 February, 2020, 08:19:17 am »
I have a cs 6hp and find it very soothing to listen to / watch.
Probably will need what mine did: decoke, strip/unseize injector pump and injector. I  was warned not to turn it until I  had removed the pump which is nearly always stuck after a long sleep.

This year I plan to make a transport / skids so I don't have to chase it across the shed floor.
They are a lovely thing.

Jarrod.

Austral

« Reply #33 on: 26 February, 2020, 09:57:33 pm »
The CS Listers are a brilliant engine, in both their 3 and 6hp formats.
The one I collected in 2006 had not been running for many years, and following a complete strip, clean, check and overhaul of the pump and injector, it started on the 3rd compression and ran like the proverbial Swiss watch. 
It was a sad day when it went to it's new home some three years ago.
Austral.

Grasshopper

« Reply #34 on: 27 February, 2020, 06:50:04 pm »
Thanks for the replies on this thread,
Picked up the engine, it looks pretty good a fair bit of light surface rust which will come off with treatment. Missing a water hopper, air intake filter and that's it even have original fuel tank and crank handle.
have not turned engine over and like suggested will remove injector and pump as slide on pump not moving.
I intend to pull the engine right down inspect everything and make right if required, clean all down and put back together for a test run before getting a fresh coat of paint a water hopper and a transporter made for it.
Apparently the engine was purchased to run a vacuum pump in a dairy which it did for 45 years, then dairy was closed, owners going over to beef cattle so engine sat in disused dairy for 45 years, a long sleep, will be interesting pulling it down and checking condition.
May remove side plate tomorrow along with pump and injector and see what ghosts are in there.
will keep you posted on progress.
Cheers
Grasshopper Max

Grasshopper

« Reply #35 on: 27 February, 2020, 09:58:00 pm »
Looking up engine number on 3.1 Lister confirms engine manufactured in 1940n not 1930 as told but I guess what is 10 years in a life time of 80 years.
This engine has seen 4 generations of the same family.
Engine number is 36684 which puts it in the 1940 bracket and is  actually stamped on the engine casing.
Learn something every day.
Grasshopper Max from Warwick Qld.

Grasshopper

« Reply #36 on: 01 March, 2020, 08:33:12 pm »
Today I refitted the head with newly seated valves and head was acid washed as well.
Refitted all to my 4 HP SPI McDonald, a touch of oil through injector hole before fitting injector, primed fuel system and cranked over, compression stopped me from turning over, decompressed spun over the fly wheels and decompressed and away my little McDonald went settling down to a nice steady run.
What a relief, now all I have to do is make a transporter and clean up exterior of motor and repaint. A couple of pics of engine.

I also started looking at my recently acquired 1940 3 HP CS Lister.
Linkages still frozen on fuel control system, have not forced them just some penetrant to start with.
The Cold start screw now operates easily.
The knurled knob on rocker cover freed up and rocker cover removed.
Old wasp nest remains blown out with compressed air and valve springs sprayed with wd40.
A tap on top of valves revealed inlet valve free, exhaust sticking, worked it a bit and now both free.
So far so good I think this engine will come up very good, will confirm by stripping motor down.
Haven't taken back plate off yet to inspect inside.
Started removing some of the rust off flywheels and going very well.
A couple of pics of the lister.
That's it for the moment folks,
More in store.
Cheers Grasshopper Max from Warwick Qld

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #37 on: 01 March, 2020, 10:12:21 pm »
Good news about the Mac now running.
With the rack on the fuel pump for the Lister I suggest that when stripping take one part off at a time and take a shit load of pics with the phone. When I did my 8hp Lister I thought I had it all sorted but there are parts inside that can be fitted the right or the wrong way so be very careful. There is a centre dot mark that must be aligned on the rack from memory and if you fit this part in the wrong way it wont work. There are other parts inside that can be fitted in the wrong order or arse up so be careful.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #38 on: 02 March, 2020, 03:55:29 pm »
While I have been thinking about the transporter I realised that I need to find, buy or make a crank handle to suit this SE McDonald. If anyone has one for sale please let me know or if anyone has one that they can post a picture of it and let me know some dimensions of what it is I need to make. Also will be looking for a fuel tank at some stage.

Grasshopper

« Reply #39 on: 03 March, 2020, 06:08:31 pm »
Hello John,
Your are talking about a crank handle required for your McDonald SE.
I am probably wrong but I thought the SE model had the crank handle built into a recess on the face of the flywheel that pops out then goes back in while the engine is running.
Interested to know if this is not the case.
Regards Grasshopper Max

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #40 on: 03 March, 2020, 09:50:28 pm »
You are correct, I never looked at it too closely as they are both under the house at the moment and I thought maybe I should start the search. Then today I got a phone call of one of the previous owners of the engines and said the same thing so while I was talking to him on the phone I went and had a look and there it is, partly sticking out from the flywheel.
So thanks for the heads up, but I haven't had time until now to get on here to correct my stuff up.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #41 on: 04 March, 2020, 09:40:40 pm »
It was suggested that a Milo tin would work for the fuel tank by Scotty.
Not such a silly idea there Scotty. I have a picture of what it should look like on the work computer so will dig it out tomorrow. But that would be close to the size. Wont be one here being diabetic so will find a Fat Cow down the road and see if she will part with one.
Fat Cow is sister inlaw.
I was tinkering with the beginning of the turntable late today and the timber axle support then a customer arrived and that was the end of play time.
Initial basic design for want of a better description is to just attach a flat steel plate about 3mm thick to the underside of the timber rails and one of those cross members then let the timber ax;e support rub against that plate for turning. AS we wont be doing laps of the showgrounds I think this idea should be good enough, I can't see any need for Radial Tune Suspenders here.
Any thoughts?

Grasshopper

« Reply #42 on: 04 March, 2020, 11:38:34 pm »
John, Glad to hear your problems for a crank handle on your SE is over.
I notice on Ebay that Oldtimerengines from Petre in Qld sells small rectangular fuel tanks complete with mountings and tap/fittings for $120 posted. I admit one could make one a lot cheaper.
I have just received a full gasket set to suit my Lister CS 3.1 for $65 posted. He has quite a good source of parts.
It will be handy to have the gaskets once I start pulling "Susan" down for its 80 year old check up.
Sounds like the turntable will work ok on your transporter.
I am sourcing 200 mm steel pipe to make up into steel bands as wheels are almost impossible to buy or outrageously priced.
Cheers
Grasshopper Max.