Author Topic: identification of Ruston Hornsby  (Read 2508 times)

AUSDOK

identification of Ruston Hornsby
« on: 25 October, 2019, 08:10:24 am »
Hi could anybody please identify what model this Ruston Hornsby engine is please. Regards Rudy

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
Re: identification of Ruston Hornsby
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2019, 11:21:56 am »
One of these a Hornsby AP
Ian
Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

AUSDOK

« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2019, 12:40:37 pm »
Thanks Ian for your help with identifying this engine will measure up flywheel to detirmine size and chase up a manual. Regards Rudy

AUSDOK

« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2019, 03:35:01 pm »
Looking at my pictures it has a Hills Bros low tension magneto and ignighter. Looking on google they all seem to be high tension. Regards Rudy

famous fitter

« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2019, 04:21:57 pm »
Hi Rudy,

I have a low tension RH engine probably the same , pretty sure it?s an AP3 (24? flywheels)with a Bosch Magneto. From memory the engine number is stamped on the mag too. Another member in our club has a good original unrestored engine and it?s fitted with the same Bosch magneto too.

They also had a rotary mag and Wico EK versions of these engines too in later years.

My engine is currently all pulled to bits ( how I got it) and has a cracked flywheel so if anyone has a spare 6 spoke 24? Ruston flywheel in their junk pile I would be most interested.

Cheers Justin

Patrick_Knight

« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2019, 08:33:28 pm »
Hello Ausdok

I would suggest that you do an Internet search for Ray Hooley, the man who has access to Ruston & Hornsby archives and will most likely be able to tell you what you want to  know from the serial number
Patrick