Author Topic: BSA hear engine info required.  (Read 3993 times)

Ian

BSA hear engine info required.
« on: 27 November, 2019, 08:00:53 pm »
Hi All
Picked up this little BSA mower engine in a job lot, it's been sitting in storage for some time.  What with moving house and getting the new shed built.  I did give it a run when I first got it but noticed that the head gasket was blown anyway fixed that today and gave it another run.   The engine is missing its original carby, the one fitted has no ID markings. Also does not have a muffler fitted.
Question is does anyone know what the engine model is?
What sort of carby should it have, and does anyone have a spare one under the bench?  I'm willing to pay. Also looking for a muffler.

Numbers on the engine base are 65  AA  1526

Label  reads "RANSOMES LAWN MOWER FITTED WITH AN APROVED BSA POWER UNIT".

Any help with ID, car by and muffler would be much appreciated.

Regards

Ian

1 R&T Engine, 1 Simplex Model D Milk Pump, 1 Ajax Milk Pump, 1 Dawn 611 Post Drill, 1 Ajax 1.5 Piston Pump, 1 Goulds Pyramid 3x5 Piston Pump, 1 Cooper 1hp RV, 14 Chooks, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 1 Wife & 1 Daughter

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: BSA hear engine info required.
« Reply #1 on: 27 November, 2019, 09:48:02 pm »
Hi Ian,
Existing carby looks like a Victa one. I would take a guess that the original carby should be an Amal. If that is the case please measure the size of the inlet spigot, I might have a carby inthe shed but from memory I cant remember the condition, rough at best.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Ian

« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2019, 07:34:39 pm »
Hi Cobbabog,.

The engine is of a Ransoms 14" MK1 according to Mr Google.  If you Google it you can see the carby quite well.  I measured the carby spigot its 1/2 inch.

Regards

Ian
1 R&T Engine, 1 Simplex Model D Milk Pump, 1 Ajax Milk Pump, 1 Dawn 611 Post Drill, 1 Ajax 1.5 Piston Pump, 1 Goulds Pyramid 3x5 Piston Pump, 1 Cooper 1hp RV, 14 Chooks, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 1 Wife & 1 Daughter

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2019, 04:00:57 pm »
Hi Ian,
I will search the depths of the treasure chest tomorrow and see what turns up.

Ian

« Reply #4 on: 29 November, 2019, 05:23:54 pm »
Thanks Cobbabog

I'll keep everything crossed.

Ian

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 30 November, 2019, 03:31:53 pm »
Hi Ian, this is what I found. So far no ID on the carby other than it being a British Made carby and B 5 ? on the top and type AB5 on the bottom. The manifold on this measures about 9/16" which is just over what you are looking for but if it is that close a shim in there would take up the slack.
I don't know how this got into my selection of invaluable Victa parts and I do not know the true condition inside. It does have the throttle cable and lever still attached and the fuel inlet is at the bottom of the bowl and the right angle lever can be lifted possibly to act as a tickler to prime the carby. If you are interested send me a PM with your address and it's yours.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #6 on: 30 November, 2019, 03:34:10 pm »
Other carbies that were around in this era are Bing as well as the Amal I mentioned. I also meant to show the air filter. It has some form of gauze in there to do the job of stopping rocks getting inside the carby.

Ian

« Reply #7 on: 30 November, 2019, 09:32:05 pm »
Hi Cobbabog,

Just got home from a busy day at the Stanley Show, the club put on a very good display. Thanks for the offer of the carby, I will take it.  I will pm you my address

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ian

Ian

« Reply #8 on: 01 December, 2019, 02:15:41 pm »
Hi cobbadog

I have pm you my address.

Regards

Ian

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #9 on: 01 December, 2019, 04:39:53 pm »
Hi Ian,
Message received and understood. I will put the carby in the post tomorrow.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #10 on: 02 December, 2019, 04:10:45 pm »
Carby was packed and sent today from down town Coopernooky. I took the top off the carby and the slide out and squirted some Lanox inside to start the freeing up of parts inside. I gently tried lifting the float out of the chamber using a small metal pin facing upwards but it didn't want to come out so I did not force it as there may be something holding it in place underneath the fuel intake at the bottom of the bowl. At least the tickler does move freely and I also took the throttle apart and gave it a drink as well.
IT is one very strange looking and functioning carby and I found that it has B E C on the top of the fuel bowl so this might be a BING carby. Hope it gets down there and does the job for you.

Ian

« Reply #11 on: 02 December, 2019, 09:19:48 pm »
Hi Cobbabog

Thanks a million for that, don't forget to pm your details to me.

Regards

Ian

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #12 on: 03 December, 2019, 09:15:05 am »
Hi Ian,
No need for any further details as I am pleased to find a useful home for it. Hope it is going to be useful, it should.

Ian

« Reply #13 on: 03 December, 2019, 05:01:13 pm »
Thanks Coobadog, much appreciated .  I will pay it forward one day.

Regards

Ian

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #14 on: 03 December, 2019, 09:37:37 pm »
That is exactly what I am doing, paying it forward. A few members on this Forum over the years have hraciously donated time and parts to my cause and when I can I like to help.
With Australia Post being what is has been lately around here the part should arrive by Christmas this year. Usually they ahve been reliable and quick but the last 4 months have been shocking.