Author Topic: Tillico marine engine  (Read 1335 times)

Cranking

Tillico marine engine
« on: 14 December, 2019, 07:00:16 am »
I have recently acquired a Tillico single cylinder engine.  I think 7.5 hp number 59.  It will not be long before it is running.  It has been mounted as a stationary farm engine on a transporter.  I have researched history of Tillico but unable to find mechanical specs or manual on operation.  I am excited about any info that is available.

Cheers
Cranking

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Tillico marine engine
« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2019, 09:35:57 pm »
Have you tried using Google or Trove to search for the info?
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Cranking

« Reply #2 on: 15 December, 2019, 07:23:39 am »
Thanks Cobbadog, I have tried Google but will try Trove today.  Thanks for the tip.  I have been told that it is a very rare Australian built engine.

Cranking

« Reply #3 on: 15 December, 2019, 10:19:49 am »
tried Trove but no luck.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #4 on: 16 December, 2019, 09:34:43 pm »
Look through some of the previous threads and find a member named AusAnzani (Spiro) and send him a PM. He knows hi marine engines and has a huge collection of outstanding outboards as well as inboards. If he can't help good luck.

AusAnzani

« Reply #5 on: 17 December, 2019, 11:57:03 am »
Thanks for the vote of confidence John. I'm more an outboard guy, very little knowledge of inboards. Haven't even heard the Tillico name before, so I doubt that i will be able to help here.

Kind Regards,
Spiro

tim

« Reply #6 on: 19 December, 2019, 08:43:07 am »
Made by William Adams & Co., Sydney?

Central West, NSW

softy42

« Reply #7 on: 19 December, 2019, 09:42:44 am »
Got any photos ?

franco

« Reply #8 on: 19 December, 2019, 01:42:22 pm »
J E Tilley Co seem to have had fingers in many pies.

They built lathes, see:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/tillico/
In this article it mentions that they also built a range of four, eight and sixteen horsepower marine engines.

They also built the engine for John Duigan's aircraft, the first Australian designed and built aircraft, which first flew in 1910, and built their own motor cycles sold under the Jet brand name.

It is quite surprising that such apparently fair sized  companies with such a diversity of products can disappear and leave so little trace.

Frank.
Cairns, Queensland

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #9 on: 19 December, 2019, 09:37:34 pm »
Great information Franco, thanks.
You mentioned they built 'jet' brand motorcyles. When I first saw the name in question, Tillico, I thought are motor cycle side cars from South Australia but that was Tillison and they built a rare side by side side car for 2 people. A mate had one here and was going to fit it to his Triump but no matter how he was going to attach it, the RMS would knock it back because it would ahve been 25mm too wide. So it got sold off.

franco

« Reply #10 on: 21 December, 2019, 01:02:29 am »
Wasn't Tilbrook the sidecar manufacturer?  When I saw Tillico I also wondered if there was any connection, but Rex Tilbrook didn't start manufacturing sidecars until about 1947. I think the Tillico engines were much earlier.

There is a photo of one of the two passenger sidecars in the article on Tilbrook here:
https://www.shannons.com.au/club/bike-news/tilbrook-motorcycles-remarkable-rex-tilbrook/
 It looks to me that it would be a pretty snug fit for two good sized adults though unless the photo is deceptive!

Frank.
Cairns, Queensland

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #11 on: 21 December, 2019, 03:08:56 pm »
yep thats it franco