Author Topic: Just after some advice  (Read 4163 times)

Charlie

Just after some advice
« on: 16 December, 2019, 11:54:27 am »
Hi everyone,
Not sure if this is the place but really don't have anyone else to ask.  We're a couple in our sixties and live on 35 acres near Bendigo.  We're pretty much surrounded by state forest and nature reserve.  Over the years we've built up lots of animals we care for-some rescued, some not. Our main concern at the moment is how to get our three ageing horses off the property if fire threatens.  We've never had a float and they're really just pets.  I've got an old RTV ford Ute-even if we bought a secondhand float I've been told that two horses would be the max it could tow.
Anyway, any suggestions would be welcomed as we need a plan.
Cheers,
Charlie

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Just after some advice
« Reply #1 on: 16 December, 2019, 09:39:50 pm »
Sounds like your options are limited to moving them on to new owners or upgrading your transport. Sorry if this offends but to ensure the horses and all other animals in your care can be saved if necessary that is your only choices.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: 17 December, 2019, 03:57:24 pm »
Thanks John and Dee,
No offence taken, just appreciate the advice.  Lack of water and the heat are just getting to us a bit. The horses are like Susie's kids so they'll have to stay.  Any suggestions about the type of vehicle we'd need to tow a three horse float?
Cheers,
Charlie

Scott

• From the thriving metropolis known as Warwick QLD
« Reply #3 on: 17 December, 2019, 05:23:09 pm »
Hello Charlie
Without a suitable vehicle a horse float is out. 1,000kg for the float and 600 or more each for the horses and the weight adds up.
I'd be asking around some of the animal welfare mobs, asking the local council as they usually have a float sitting around somewhere for strays and asking some of the local livestock carriers. The local pony club may also be worthwhile asking.
Look at the local hire places including servos. Your ute with 1 horse each trip may be OK but please check the weights and take brakes (electric are good) into consideration. I think your ute is OK up to 2,300kg towing if fitted out right. But again, please check tow-bar rating, your particular vehicle rating and taking into consideration your brakes.
To be fire safe it may only be a matter of walking the horses somewhere where's it's big and open.
Personally I would not buy a float if you've never had one or usually have the need for one. They need a lot of maintenance and cost a great deal of money to buy a decent one and to keep it on the road.
You are doing the right things in trying to sort something out before the need arises. Well done!!.
We're having the same problem as you at the moment. Fires and animals. Luckily for us we have a huge horse float and a newish 4x4 Triton to tow it..
All the best
Scott

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: 18 December, 2019, 01:29:46 pm »
Thanks for the ideas and effort Scott-much appreciated.  With time put into care for the property and animals we're become quite isolated and really don't have a local network to connect with.  I'm quite handy when it comes to practical things except for motor mechanics.  I've never towed anything bigger than a tandem trailer.  I do some more research re your suggestions.
Cheers,
Charlie

ianoz

« Reply #5 on: 20 December, 2019, 03:47:39 pm »
Hi Charlie,  another option buy a tractor and plough if you don't already have one .and plough up a firebreak 100 metres wide around say 5 acres around the house . Protect the house and the other animals as well as the horses . Then once it rains you can plant grass /feed  in the ploughed ground .
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more
 Benaraby Central Queensland

Charlie

« Reply #6 on: 22 December, 2019, 02:15:35 pm »
That's a great idea Ian but a bit tough. We did have an old fergie years ago but nothing at the moment.  We could really do with a front-end loader for the place but just can't afford the 15-20K folks say you need to get something reasonable.  We need to put something away to replace the ute.  I have been slowly clearing back shrub and trees by hand and currently the firebreak (clay base) would range from 10-30 metres all round.  There's a few acres of reasonably mature gums on the short side and that would take a lot of cutting and dozing.  For interest sake, could a tractor tow a three-horse float?
Cheers,
Charlie

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #7 on: 22 December, 2019, 04:07:46 pm »
Sorry Charlie but no a tractor would not be legal to tow a horse float as you will have to have the electric brakes working.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #8 on: 22 December, 2019, 04:10:46 pm »
Have you offered the horses up for sale or free to get them out of the possible danger? Only other option is to act as soon as possible and start moving them out now to agist them elsewhere out of harms way. This is something that you should consider just in case the absolute worse does happen and do it before it is too late, that would be far worse.

wee-allis

« Reply #9 on: 22 December, 2019, 05:24:39 pm »

In answer to your question, Charlie, yes a tractor can tow a three horse float. Some are capable of towing 20 - 30 ton trailers, quite often seen in Ireland and Europe where they are used in preference to prime mover because of their agility in narrow roads. However, as Cobba said, you would need to have electric brakes on the trailer and the companion unit fitted to the tractor.

The tractor brake unit could be fitted to something as small as a grey Fergie, but it would not be legal to tow that much weight.  You would need quite a heavy tractor for the job.
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

Charlie

« Reply #10 on: 24 December, 2019, 09:27:02 pm »
I would like to thank everyone that has responded to my concerns.  It is clearly up to us to work out a way that works for our conditions.  I will do this as well as I can.  Signing off.

ianoz

« Reply #11 on: 19 January, 2020, 08:32:57 pm »
Was thinking about how you got on Charlie. Fires get anywhere near you ?
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more
 Benaraby Central Queensland

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #12 on: 20 January, 2020, 09:36:20 pm »
Hopefully he was quick enough to move them out.

Charlie

« Reply #13 on: 12 February, 2020, 07:32:36 pm »
Thanks for the concern re the fires.  They didn't get close but, like for many, you smelt the smoke each day.  Am putting up some old Sunshine McKay gates with the help of a local in the CFA.  Will pick his brain for some ideas.  Reminds me, does anyone have a spare original Sunshine half hinge they could spare.  It's the male side with the flat face that sits against the post.  Have put a "wanted' notice on Gumtree.
Cheers,
Charlie

Daveronin

« Reply #14 on: 03 October, 2020, 07:08:42 am »
Hi Charlie
I was bushwalking through to the high country in vic and came across a gal tank on top of a dirt mound big enough to cover a bedroom , it had one entrance covered by hessian bags , kept wet by tank water, and had enough room in it for three horses easy.
Dave