Author Topic: Make my own  (Read 8543 times)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Make my own
« on: 06 February, 2020, 09:22:34 pm »
Recently I decided to start on the mcdonald 3hp and make a transporter to be able to move it around as needed. then with advise to use larger diameter wheels than i intended and with non available at a drop of the hat i decided to make my own. ihad some 65mm wide flat bar rolled to 250mm od and today i bought some pipe to use as the hub and some 12mm rod for the spokes and got busy designing on the run a jig to assemble thes wheels in. i will post some pics later of where i am at and the progress.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

bigmoot

Re: Make my own
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2020, 06:15:11 am »
very good mate best of luck.  if they work out good you might be able to make and sell them . regards wayne.
hawkesbury n.s.w   hornsbys/listers/associated/triumph/sundexs/
sundial/fairbanks z 's/condor/inter m's/ronnys/nuffield tractor/howard 2000/southern cross's.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2020, 04:52:08 pm »
I love your optimism Wayne.
Although I must admit the journey so far has not been all that bad only one ongoing headache happening at the moment when parting off the spokes in the lathe, I am having multiple carbide tips shatter. Checked height, tried faster speed at 350 rpm but went back to115 rpm all with no change. Only using the slightest of pressure on the feed in or a bit heavier and the same thing happens. I did have an issue like this before and I moved the cutting tool back in towards the tool post as close as it could go and that worked a treat. This is where it is still and now have issues.
So as for the jig, I have the outter bands rolled and ready to go into the jig, the centre hubs have been parted off and the tiny flash weld mark inside tidied up a little bit and enough spokes cut to put a wheel together so this is where I am at now.You see the bands waiting to be joined and base of the jig and then a band in place, not welded as yet and using a long piece of rod to make the spoke nice and straight by fitting some off cut bits of timber on the pieces that will hold the spokes in from the outside edge.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2020, 04:57:46 pm »
Next I used the 'live centre' on the lathe as a stop gauge so the spokes are cut the same length, then I did another trial fit with a hub centered and bolted in place and 4 of the spokes in place.
The idea is to weld the bands together and drop the rim in place, centre the hub and place the first 4 spokes in place and tack weld them in place, then turn it over and put the next 4 spokes in place and tack them in place. All things being equal I should be able to complete the welding and have a wheel, well hopefully I will have a wheel.
As for doing them commercially, I think my welding will answer that idea!     :o

AUSDOK

« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2020, 08:58:50 am »
Parting off 1/2" steel always presents a challenge. Unless usuing bright mild steel there are usually very different quality of steel that will destroy carbide . I  usually use a power hacksaw but others with more skills than mine will probably disagree.  Rudy

franco

« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2020, 11:28:48 am »
If you can find a sprung (gooseneck) toolholder for a tapered HSS blade like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/hrJnP9qyDhKlxA65xRriCqTlyWocX7KqGqkboEk0UVdPI_NLRbj-6JrSKcbcKXZTf_py=s151

it will fix your parting problems and frequent replacement of expensive carbide tips. Mine takes a 5/32" x 1/2"  blades.

Frank.
Cairns, Queensland

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2020, 01:36:24 pm »
Hi guys and thanks for the tips. I would use a power hacksaw if I had one but one hasn't found it's way home as yet. Yes Franco a different parting off tool may be the answer. I was thinking maybe there was not enough clearance between cutting edge and side of the tip but there is enough that can be seen.
Anyway, at least I had enough to put one wheel together. Had a lot of fun with the confined welding space around the hub and in general I can type better than I can weld as seen by the end result but it is what it is.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2020, 01:37:18 pm »
Now to show everyone how NOT to weld.

wee-allis

« Reply #8 on: 08 February, 2020, 04:03:14 pm »

Cobba, what's this rot about parting off tools and power hacksaws to cut 1/2" rod.  Put it in the vice, pick up the hacksaw and cut!  You've only got 24 left to cut. Stop winging and get on with it man.

By the way, I haven't forgotten about the manual, I've just been preoccupied with the fires of late.
Cheers,
Steve
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #9 on: 08 February, 2020, 09:15:34 pm »
Well I got the parting off sorted. I lowered the height of the cutoff tip by a poofteenth and away it goes.
You should know me by now Steve, I will do anything to avoid that Mexican "manuwell labor" especially with 2 stuffed shoulders my hacksaws are like my extension ladder, beautiful looking pieces of equipment and best looked at and not used.
I am not concerned about that manual thanks Steve, I know it is in good hands and there is no rush.

I noticed that everyone is being very oilite and not mentioning the coccky shit welding !    :o

asw120

« Reply #10 on: 09 February, 2020, 03:54:25 pm »
The difference between your welding and mine, is that at least you are doing some.....

Having said that, I hope to start making some progress on some things now as my big family do was last night, so I can mess the place up again.

Jarrod.

P.S. Scotty: remember the downpour at Allora? We had that last night (not for as long). Flooded much of the carport where the party was! My place is still flowing ......

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #11 on: 09 February, 2020, 04:16:32 pm »
Well got them all made and went over the cocky shit and made it a bit better.
I should now go down to the River and give them a salty bath to start the rust process off so they wont look out of place with the engine. You can see how the timber jig stood up to the making of the 4 wheels, not bad for a lump of very old particle board.

bigmoot

« Reply #12 on: 09 February, 2020, 06:13:39 pm »
WELL DONE MATE .
hawkesbury n.s.w   hornsbys/listers/associated/triumph/sundexs/
sundial/fairbanks z 's/condor/inter m's/ronnys/nuffield tractor/howard 2000/southern cross's.

Grasshopper

« Reply #13 on: 12 February, 2020, 09:42:04 pm »
Good Job on the wheels Cobbadog.
Just what the Doctor orderd.
No progress on my McDonalds,
Other things happening and preventing me my shed time.
At least the Condamine River is flowing again with all the rainfall.
Cheers Grasshopper Max

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #14 on: 13 February, 2020, 09:56:26 pm »
Yes Max, a lot of rivers are flowing again now, even our Mighty Manning River which had stopped flowing. They were catching the Manning River fresh water trutles to take some away for breeding and the rest moved to a safer place with deep water and now its moving again I guess the turtles have gone exploring again.
I have some more timber on order to make the transporter to put these wheels onto and have been consumed with work, it is just comming out of everywhere at the moment. Our back yard is wringing wet and and can only just get the car around the back and into the carport. When we get this much rain, and it is still raining but not as heavy, the water runs off the hill and through our back yard and makes it very boggy. I nearly have to leave it in the driveway if this keeps up.
So once the timber is here I can sort out the axles and the turntable and get the engine mounted and ready to strip.