Author Topic: Ransome GM  (Read 2228 times)

AUSDOK

Ransome GM
« on: 17 October, 2019, 06:55:51 pm »
HI got to look at the Ransome today and am unsure how to tell the model. on the motor is stamped MG29212 . The motor was seized but after a little searching it turned out to be a seized Wico A magneto. I have never seen one seized ,but there you go. Once I find the model I will obtain a manual and progress. Regards Rudy

32Voltnut

Re: Ransome GM
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2019, 02:53:27 pm »
Hi Rudy, I have 2 of these little crawlers in fairly ordinary condition. The idea was 2 make one good one out of the pair.Both engines are now
dismantled & progress has come to a stop . You will know how these things happen!  But in the meantime I have acquired a lot of info about
them.I think you will find the engine number is actually MGE9212 which indicates it is from a Model MG6 and probably built about1958
The tractor model & number should be on a brass plate on the back or side of tractor--but sometimes the plate has gone missing.
Good Luck with this & keep posting progress  Regards Don.

AUSDOK

« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2019, 06:06:07 pm »
Hi if you have a manual I am happy to pay for copying and postage. Regards Rudy

AUSDOK

« Reply #3 on: 19 October, 2019, 11:48:54 am »
Hi Don found the plate and it say MG5  number 7325
 On the front of the engine is cast MGE 1189
On the side of the engine is stamped MGE 9212.
I hope that clears that up. have just sorted the valves would you happen to know the clearance please. Will try to source a manual.   Regards Rudy

AUSDOK

« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2019, 08:59:32 am »
Hi have sourced a parts list and a maintenance book from the UK for my MG5  awaiting helicoil set to sort out spark plug. Have rebuilt the fuel pump and carby ,the fuel filter in the tank was completely blocked . had to make a new strainer, will fit maggie this week. Regards Rudy

AUSDOK

« Reply #5 on: 06 March, 2020, 07:35:41 am »
Had a major issue yesterday . I started and ran the crawler, with the only issues was a carby tuning and the clutch sticking , ran for about 10 mins. Parked it and as normal it would not start. Got it back into the shed and removed motor to sort out clutch. Nearly ready to re assemble and as i was sanding the clutch pads the engine started, the resulting mess was the clutch flew out as the drum was not on and removed the magneto from the engine in multiple bits. I am trying to resource another maggie , but the clutch shoes will need relining and one of the springs is beyond repair. I understand that you always remove the spark plug lead when working on a engine but I got a bit distracted and  forgot. Does anybody have a spare clutch spring that they are willing to sell ,also if they have a spare set of clutch shoes I will be happy to purchase. yes I am beating myself up over the stupidity. Regards  Rudy