Author Topic: McDonald Imperial Super Diesel  (Read 26457 times)

wee-allis

Re: McDonald Imperial Super Diesel
« Reply #15 on: 31 March, 2020, 05:45:39 pm »

John, unless you can collapse that gib key, you won't pull the flywheel off, no matter how much pressure you put on it. The gib key has a 1 in 100 taper on it to lock the flywheel.

Drill as many holes as you can, right through, no matter what size you can get in, then try to punch the rest of the key to loosen it. The holes will allow it to collapse.  Good luck with it.
Steve.
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #16 on: 31 March, 2020, 09:17:43 pm »
Hi Steve, thanks for the heads up, I intend to do my best to collapse the key before trying to pull the flywheel. Time will tell how I get on.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Austral

« Reply #17 on: 01 April, 2020, 09:04:20 am »
Well done on getting one flywheel off after a lot of grief.
Perhaps you could try spark erosion on the broken key.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #18 on: 01 April, 2020, 09:29:52 pm »
I do like spark erosion and had some done about 25 years ago at a local engineering shop. Unfortunately they are gone now and no one else has that service here. The other issue is the bloody weight of this elephant and is why I want the flywheels off so the block can go to town and have the liner pressed out, all pickled up nice and clean as there is half a tone of rust around the bore then a new seal fitted onto the liner and pressed back in.
I might get the chance to have another go tomorrow afternoon to drill more holes and start the collapse process otherwise it will be the weekend. As much of a pain this has been so far I am enjoying it because I am finding it more challenging than expected but enjoyable at the same time.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #19 on: 04 April, 2020, 03:48:01 pm »
This is what I started with today a punch, pobge and a 3/8" pin punch re-shaped to being a slotting chisel. You can one of the small holes opened up and another hiding behind swarf on the bottom right. After some very careful drilling I got the left hand side opened completely and a bigger hole on the bottom right. Centre and top right still have drill bits inside. Next it is time for heat, heat and more heat and bolt up the puller checking that it is an even distance off the flywheel as I expect to have to put some fetch on this one.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #20 on: 04 April, 2020, 04:10:07 pm »
After a lot of heating and smoke coming up from every where because of oil and grease, I bolted the puller in place and checked measured the distance off the flywheel to ensure it was square. I knew this was going to be tight, shit I hate being right at times but with the ol' trusty Sidchrome sockets, a "T" bar and wrong or right a length of pipe on the end of that. I put a fair bit of fetch on it and then got the 2lb soft hammer and flogged the outside of the flywheel and each time I was able to put just a little bit more on the pipe. Eventually it cracked and I shit myself and then studied what had just happened. All looked good, no stripped bolts into the flywheel and the centre bolt on the puller in tact I tried a bit more weight and it was easier. So I did a check measure on the end of the crankshaft and put some more strain on the puller and it became obvious it was on the move, at bloody last. It fought me all the way but it still a good feeling to see it slowly working it's way off. After about another 30 minutes of swinging on the pipe it was finally off, "YEAH TEAM COBBA".
You can see in what's left of the gibb key the remains of the small drill bit. It shows that it snapped when I was with-drawing it out to clear the swarf from the flutes of the drill. In the centre there is still a 3/16" drill bit hiding. As I was using the slotting chisel I made up tiny bits of drill bit kept falling out, it had truly shattered to bits.
On Monday I'm heading off to Manning Base Hospital and apply for a job as a "keyhole surgeon" these pics are my resume.

wee-allis

« Reply #21 on: 05 April, 2020, 07:36:01 am »

Stubbornness and or persistence will win every time. Well done John.
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

Austral

« Reply #22 on: 05 April, 2020, 11:18:27 am »
Well done again,patience and persistence have paid off.
By the way, gibb should be spelt gib, and not as in the brothers.
Perhaps you could tell us what a ''pobge'' is ???

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #23 on: 05 April, 2020, 09:45:36 pm »
The podge is similar to a metal punch but has a long taper with a rounded end. It was bought when I was playing panel beater and was used to align bolt holes. Probably has 6 other names but this was what it was called way back then.

Austral

« Reply #24 on: 06 April, 2020, 08:49:12 am »
My thoughts were that '' pobge '' probably referred to ''podger'' of which I also have a couple of in the workshop. However the spelling had me intrigued, so I wanted to check out the true meaning of this mystery tool. Thanks for the clarification. 

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #25 on: 07 April, 2020, 03:52:48 pm »
This is where it is at now. I removed the hopper which took some doing as the gasket had a good hold on it. The 3 bolts that held it in place snapped off due to rust, surprise. Then I started digging out the rust from around the cylinder. So far I have remove 2 x 2 litre ice cream containers of loose flakey rust and this has got me half way down past the bore with a lot more to go. At least now I can see the small brass elbow to connect the oil primer line to now. Next was time to remove the crankshaft. I undid the nuts on both side covers and got one cover to move away fairly easily but the other side where the gears and oil pump are was a bit more tricky. Eventually it let go to expose a huge mess inside. Because this engine has not run for many years everything in here was dry as a  bone to a point that it was almost carbon black again. It was very thick so I scraped a lot out and wiped the ends of the gears to find the timing marks from the crankshaft to the cam. There are no timing marks for the governor or oil pump. I mention this because I have come across one engine that required the oil pump to be timed with the spark of the engine and this was the David Brown 30C engine. It had to be timed so the offset tang of the distributor would engage with the oil pump.
Next it is time to remove the gears and get inside for a clearer look.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #26 on: 07 April, 2020, 03:54:51 pm »
Nice mess in here to clean up. Believe it or not the pipe is on top of the governor shaft and it is as free as a bird to operate.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #27 on: 08 April, 2020, 03:44:19 pm »
Crankshaft out today.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #28 on: 08 April, 2020, 03:46:09 pm »
IT runs a pair of bronze bushes for the mains with an oil gallery machined inside for lube but the big end is made as bearing shells but in bronze (2 halves).

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #29 on: 08 April, 2020, 03:47:04 pm »
big end