Author Topic: McDonald Imperial Super Diesel  (Read 26464 times)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
McDonald Imperial Super Diesel
« on: 13 March, 2020, 09:29:48 pm »
Well here we go on a long journy with this one. I managed to load my preferred engine onto the tractors carry-all which made for power steering on the Cropmaster which was different and got it up under the carport which is where it will be stripped down and cleaned. I have found the good injector as the original was broken off by someone else many years ago and it took me over a year to find the replacement but at least it is here. I quickly had a look at what I think are all the parts I have and found parts that I don't know what they are as yet but in time with help from you guys I will find a place to fit them.
Now I do have a booklet called "Instruction Book for erecting and running Imperial Super -Diesel Engines" It has 35 pages of information but it is not a workshop manual that shows you what parts belong where.

Is there a workshop manual for the SE engine?

If so where do I beg, borrow or buy one from?
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: McDonald Imperial Super Diesel
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2020, 04:15:59 pm »
Well first we had to drag the best of two evils out from under the house, load it onto the carry-all and get it up under the carport. As you can see this is the broken injector.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2020, 04:33:04 pm »
Next I started to remove some parts and started with the 4" belt pulley. Had a look inside and the 3 heads of the bolts were badly rusted and I had to use 3 different size sockets on the 3 bolts but they wound out as if nothing was wrong. I then thought this is off to a great start.
Big Mouth now has foot in mouth disease. Next to be removed are the flywheels and to do that the gibb keys had to come out. Ever since these engines came home years ago I have squirted diesel on nearly every bolt I could see including the flywheels and the gibb keys. Well the head broke off the first one. So with not too much swearing I started to drill out the key starting with a small one then bigger and then to the 1/4" size. I got this drilled into the key to almost the full depth of the twist of the bit taking care to keep pulling it out to clear the twist. Snap it went at full depth, more words of constructive and very descriptive usually pleasurable things flew around the yard. So Plan C was then to drill small holes above and to the side of the 1/4" bastard. So using now a 1/8" bit I managed to carefully drill 2 more holes full depth and the theory was to help relive the pressure on the 1/4" bit. Then it hit me, maybe I can cut away part of the gibb key and this will allow me to get some vice grips on the bit. No way, the bit didn't just snap it shattered into lots of short pieces so there is still about an 1" inside under the hub of the flywheel but this gave me more access to drill the small holes deeper. Well as you can see it too snapped off. So I now have 2 drill bits securing the key in place, I feel so lucky,,,,NOT!
You will see the good injector waiting to be stripped. clean and adjusted in the future.

Austral

« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2020, 08:11:46 pm »
Trying to drill out seized keys usually results in some form of grief.
Perhaps you could try heating  the flywheel hub to red heat and then putting a large tapered drift between the crankcase and hub if there is enough clearance to  do so.

Austral

« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2020, 08:19:30 pm »
If you heat the flywheel hub as is my previous post, first try knocking it off the key towards the crankcase. You may have to heat and cool a few times, but it is a proven method from a few years ago.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2020, 09:53:18 pm »
Cheers, thanks for the tip. I have to keep trying any of tricks to get it off now. I will also try to partly collapse what I can of the old key. If I start to see some progress I can actually fit a 3 point puller and put a bit of weight on it too but not before the key starts to move out or the flywheel in towards the engine.
I can feel more strong words coming up, I think.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #6 on: 15 March, 2020, 03:43:12 pm »
Today I made up a tool to help flog the flywheel inwards after I get some heat into and around the hub of the flywheel. A piece of 3" water pipe with a handle attached and heavy bit of flat bar welded to the back end of it for the BFH can do it's job.
Started to heat up using my only source of heat a "B" size burner on a length of hose from the LPG bottle. I got comfy on an upturned 20ltr oil drum and started heating up. This is a slow process but then it started pissing down rain and guess where the water leak is, right above me. So I blew the whistle and went on with another job.
I have had a very kind offer of some oxy if required so time will tell.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2020, 04:13:20 pm »
Been in contact with Stephen from Plough Book Sales and the only info he has ever had is this instruction booklet, but thanks for bringing it to my attention as this is how we find things out.
Well I went around to the opposite side yesterday and managed to do almost the exact same thing. Head broke off the gibb key and so far I have successfully drilled a 3/16" hole the key but not all the way through. After a lot of scratching around I actually found that the keyway in the flywheel goes all the way through but, it does not on the crankshaft. The crankshaft has a small step down in size where the back of the flywheel sits and you can only just see the groove in the shaft tapering off to nothing. This will make it impossible to try to knock the flywheel in towards the engine so that idea is now dealt with. Still waiting for the 10lb slide hammer to arrive and I have started to make an adaptor to use once it is here.
So I decided to also look at the oil strainer which didn't do too much straining like this. As rough as the soldering job looks it actually has taken to the stainless steel wire and bonded in place. At least this is done, phew.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #8 on: 24 March, 2020, 04:30:24 pm »
New toy arrived today to encourage the gibb keys to come out. This one is a 10lb one.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #9 on: 25 March, 2020, 04:10:46 pm »
Made a socket to adapt to the slide hammer today. This is my very first attempt to make a thread on the lathe and it is an internal one just to test my lack of ability. Pics are bad but they are what they are. Main thing to me is that it worked and screws on just right. Having zero experience at doing this I did manage to learn something and that is I must have had the boring bar slightly pointing away from me as I think the thread has a very slight taper even though I used the main carriage driven by the lead screw.
Shoulders back, chest out !      :o

asw120

« Reply #10 on: 25 March, 2020, 08:17:23 pm »
I have to do this, myself. Mine has to have two different threads, which will test me.
Jarrod.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #11 on: 25 March, 2020, 09:30:03 pm »
I have no idea where the short piece of pipe came from or why it was sitting in one of the tool boxes but it was the right ID and OD and length as other pieces in the kit so I decide to 'have a go ya mug'.
The 7/8" UNF is the big thread in this kit and the small size is 5/8" UNF which is only for the dent puller with the self tapping screw in it. It surpised me that it wasn't metric thread but at least I could identify it and copy the thread.
Next is to make the angle iron piece to slip over the bolt that has to be welded to the broken key. Was shown a link to a bloke called shopdaog sam on YouTube who has a lot of tricks up his sleeve for repairing so many things and gibb key removal was a 4 part story and informative. So soon enough I will be ready to give it a go, possibly over the weekend.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #12 on: 28 March, 2020, 04:11:48 pm »
Spent a little bit more time on these gibb keys today. I carefully welded a HT bolt to the key, placed a pipe over the lot and a heavy flat plate and wound the nut on. I watched in a video where he used a rattle gun to also help it come loose so out with the 18v rattle gun. This is the result, the key broke away at the end of the broken drill bits and level with the flywheel hub. Tomorrow I will go back to drilling more holes below the broken drill bits and then fit a puller on and try to pull the flywheel over the key.
So I went around to the other side and welded the bolt on and set it all up along with the new big bunsen burner which sounds like a jet when opened up and applied the heat then the rattle gun. The nut stripped. So now I am making up an attachment for the slide hammer on this side, heat again and then hammer away.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2020, 03:06:44 pm »
Well after a lot of swearing and then some more swearing I finally got one out, the one on the starting side of the engine. It took a new home made adaptor, then had to beef it up again, a lot of heat from the big LPG bunsen burner some flogging with a cold chisel behind the welded on bolt and the new slide hammer and a sore back from bending over but when it came out I thought "you bloody beauty". Even after beefing the 5mm thick angle iron up on the sides you can see in the last pic how it has still bent after all the flogging on the weight of the hammer.

So with this win under the belt I was not about to push my luck any further so I packed up for the day and still a happy chappy.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #14 on: 31 March, 2020, 04:14:37 pm »
With no extra heat and with no effort at all this flywheel slid off the shaft. The gibb key must really be what holds these in place.
Now to the other side with the broken drill bits in the gibb key. I will drill some more holes under the 3/16" hole in the centre with the shattered drill bit still in place to weaken the key as much as possible. Then I will have an attempt at using a centre punch or a nail punch to loosen the drill bit/s. If no joy I will try to use a pin punch to start to collapse the key and then hook up my puller and put some weight on it and see how that goes. I spoke with a close friend about this side today and if the plan as described doesn't work I have been kindly offered the use of a 10 ton hydraulic puller to shift it, now that should move it !