Author Topic: McDonald Imperial Super Diesel  (Read 26455 times)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: McDonald Imperial Super Diesel
« Reply #60 on: 27 April, 2020, 03:54:17 pm »
Today was time to mount the engine onto the transporter before it got too heavy.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #61 on: 27 April, 2020, 04:16:12 pm »
Then I have been waiting to get this part of the engine, the head. Before I even start cleaning the head up, I noticed that the cooling tubes for the head were not as they should be. Some were sitting just as they should and others nearly flush and not good enough to seal using the "O" rings. So went into the shed and dragged out some copper tube and made the decision to remove all the old ones and fit all new ones with a bit of Stag Jointing Paste, love this stuff. So I cleaned up the old copper pipe and collapsed the original brass tubes, cleaned the holes and knocked the new tubes into place. Then I went looking for the taps and dies to clean up the threads for the head. It is 3/4" UNC and that's exactly what was the largest size in that box. I ran the taps through the nuts and they cleaned up nicely but I did not have a die nut only the round die so an improvisation was called for. So instead of a die nut you have a nut using a die. I started the die by hand then placed the 2 screw drivers into the holes and used my big long screw driver to turn the others around while holding the handles tightly together. It was quite easy as it only had to remove rust not cut a new thread. Now the nuts wind on all the way by hand, yippee.
I don't know why, but I feel as if it is really moving along right now.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #62 on: 29 April, 2020, 04:01:11 pm »
Sometimes it is all the small jobs that take most of the time. Today I borrowed the Rolls Royce of flaring tools to make the new oil pressure line  to the bush on the crank shaft. I bought a new nut to replace the split one so I dug out a short length of 5/16" copper tube, cut it to length flared one end put on the two new nuts then flared the other end. Then dug out my small tube bender and made the basic shape required and bolted it in place. Lastly the thread for the sum plug was a bit how ya going so again I borrowed the tap to clean that up.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #63 on: 02 May, 2020, 04:13:15 pm »
Spent part of today cleaning up threads of the studs on the head and did a trial fit of the head to the engine to check that it would go over the new copper tube and it did. Then dug out part of the linkage system just to see what it would look like. I now need to clean up the linkages that I have to see if it is all there and I think it is. Also had a look at the coffee pot part of the hopper and cleaned up the 2 small 3/16" studs that hold the fuel tank in place.
Yesterday I bought home a pair of Speedi-Sleeves to fit to the crank shaft as the grooves in it for the new seals were a bit bad.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #64 on: 07 May, 2020, 04:17:44 pm »
Been soaking the injector to get it apart then cleaned. I have the top section and that needle out and free but the bottom one is rock solid. It has been in some thinners for a few days and the 2 hoes in the injector cap are now clear and the cavity behind is clear so the thinners is working from both sides now.
Looks good for the oil primer from a member here, so thank you for that. I need a few dimensions for a fuel tank and although I have the cast iron casting for the air cleaner I am after the outer housing if one is king about please.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #65 on: 09 May, 2020, 03:27:32 pm »
To try to remove the bottom needle from the body I made this tool up. It is a piece of 3/8" rod drilled to being undersize to the top of the needle and a slot cut in it. In theory I should be able to lightly tap the tool onto the needle and twist and lift out the stuck needle, hasn't happened yet and the next post will show why.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #66 on: 09 May, 2020, 03:37:24 pm »
I did like the flame that came out the bottom but when I turned it arse up and really got into it with the heat it went off like a flame thrower. By the time I got the camera out it had backed off to being this sedate little display. Once it had burnt out I continued to get serious with the heat and then I found the lump of crap that fell out. Once cooled I sat it on top to take the pic.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #67 on: 10 May, 2020, 04:08:09 pm »
Did some work on some of the brackets and linkages and mixed and matched the best pieces and used the return spring that was on one of the set of brackets.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #68 on: 10 May, 2020, 04:24:34 pm »
Next it was time to experiment. Still having no joy with getting the needle out of the bottom of the good injector I went investigating with the broken one. The bottom part of the injector housing was snapped off and stuck firmly in the cap. I lost many hours and brain cells trying to get inside. Tried many different ways of achieving what it almost too all day to get to.
In the end I knew it was to be the death of a cap but I had to learn something today. So eventually into the drill vice and away I went with the 1/4" drill bit, down deeper and deeper until I felt it go through but it was not the cap. So had a look with the good led light and nothing so I kept going and eventually the bloody housing finally let go and collapsed in and it was out.
It was then I found that I had drilled past the bottom of the housing and into a cavity in the cap. So that was the death of that cap but the good one is still intact as this is all about 'learning' I hope. So with the broken bits out of the way a copper washer gasket also fell out confirming I went way too deep and now left with a cap and a far better idea and a new plan to get this bloody needle out.
I forget what letter of the alphabet I'm up with all the plans I have gone through but lets says I might be learning the Greek Alphabet soon. New plan is to drill a nice neat smallish hole dead centre in the cap and push the needle out from that end then weld the small hole up. Any comments on this would be gratefully appreciated before I jump into the fire.
Pictures below are the old cap and is the sacrificial lamb as an aid to the education of a nutter.

Austral

« Reply #69 on: 10 May, 2020, 09:44:56 pm »
May I suggest that you read up on the Hvid/Brons fuel system. There is comprehensive reading to be had on the internet, if you have not already done so.   
You could also try electrolysis for freeing up rusted and seized components. This has always given me good results in the past.

asw120

« Reply #70 on: 12 May, 2020, 03:33:53 pm »
A late member of another forum built a scratch Brons / Hvid engine.
Googling "homebrew hvid" should get it. By the time the whole story is read, one has a full understanding of the system.
It seems McDonald kept it going longer than almost anyone else.

Jarrod.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #71 on: 12 May, 2020, 04:23:10 pm »
Thank you both for the tips.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #72 on: 16 May, 2020, 03:34:50 pm »

To day I decided while waiting for the electrolysis to hopefully work on the injectors bottom needle I started to make a new pin for the rocker arm to pivot on and add a better oil hole for lube by cutting a groove in the shaft and boring an oil hole halfway down the pin and then cross drilling it. I also reground the end of the rocker arm where it meets the valve stem. Next is the pivoting ball, this will explain itself in the future pics but I may need to make another push rod from the cam follower through the pivot ball to the rocker arm. You will notice the old brazing repair from long ago but this one is better than the other one I have to choose from so this is it.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #73 on: 17 May, 2020, 02:40:15 pm »
Played around with the linkages today cleaning up the parts and making a special collar to hold the fork from another linkage that operates the injector. I think it is all ready to go together when more parts arrive and try to work out how to adjust it all.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #74 on: 17 May, 2020, 02:52:56 pm »
While still waiting on the electrolysis to do its thing I played around with some ideas or experiments, why not I say!
First was to see what happens when you use a MIG welder on cast steel, well it looks as if it welds. I will give it a flogging soon to see what it takes to fracture. Some of the valve stems were badly worn on the ends so again what happens when you weld these up with a MIG.