Author Topic: McDonald Imperial Super Diesel  (Read 26473 times)

famous fitter

Re: McDonald Imperial Super Diesel
« Reply #135 on: 16 October, 2020, 10:00:34 pm »
Jarrod/ cobbadog

My Swag and pillow still has the Effects of the black Rain from Allora a couple of years ago .........

When I seen the Mac uncovered in the compound I knew what I was up against , was kinda funny As you have to expect that a bit with them, bit like field Marshall tractors - goes with the territory.

Cheers Justin

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #136 on: 18 October, 2020, 09:08:55 pm »
Spent the day in church watching Bathurst so will have another go at it tomorrow after I finish work.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #137 on: 31 October, 2020, 03:56:05 pm »
Getting closer to a start up, or at least an attempted start up.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #138 on: 01 November, 2020, 04:40:46 pm »
Well Humpty Dumpty went back together again and we tried a startup. Got close to running by puffing some blue smoke out its bum but no bang bang. Followed the start up procedure as in the book and then with some start ya bastard in the sir cleaner it did go bang bang a few times then stopped and I was not quick enough to squirt more in it.
Going by the oil pressure indicator the oil pump works - BONUS.
Had fuel running out the exhaust - BUGGA.
So I shut the fuel supply off and tried more start ya bastard and it didn't - BUGGA.
Now I have a bad shoulder and this stopped me from trying too many times but after 6 or so attempts I shut the fuel off and packed up. So now until I get the start up procedure and running correctly I am now looking for a flat leather belt and belt the bastard up to the Cropmaster tractor.

I tried starting it with the throttle backed right off, half way on and full but only got blue smoke. At least it was encouraging when it did go bang bang on either. Not sure about the over fueling and how to stop it.

asw120

« Reply #139 on: 01 November, 2020, 09:53:50 pm »
Cobba, it has to be close. I spent a lot more time getting mine going due to my mistakes. I ended up belting mine to the little 1-1/2hp International M type to get it going, but it still wouldn't start on the crank handle until I made extra compression shims to make up for the lack of compression after the re-ring. (any more shim and piston meets valve).
You're getting more out of yours than I could that early.
I found you can flood them - clearing is much easier once you have it belted up.
It may take a couple of starts with smelling salts and go easily after that. Extra compression plates are easy to make and fit and can be taken out later after things have bedded a bit.
I reckon you've got it; I can already see the smoke :)
Also: it's perfectly acceptable to start these on kerosene.

Jarrod.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #140 on: 02 November, 2020, 04:12:34 pm »
Got some more bang bang bang and black smoke today before my shoulder screamed and said stop. So for the moment while I organise a more appropriate belt I made one up from a 50mm wide ratchet strap off Lorry. I have sewn the ends together with another short section over the outside and really got into it with the zig zag machine.

asw120

« Reply #141 on: 02 November, 2020, 09:05:18 pm »
In addition to my HCVC reply, you could light a fire under the intake. I use a Primus bottle to start the Farmall.

Jarrod.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #142 on: 02 November, 2020, 09:29:16 pm »
Putting a flame under the air intake is also an option to help it come to life. It is like a Frankenstein project having to have back up plans for the back up plan. Got a heap of work to knock out tomorrow and for the next few days but really want to hear this running.
I found a place in Taree that has some 1 1/2" water pipe and can cut to any length I want but I need to find someone who can run a thread up it for about 2" in length. I think I know who just need to catch up with them. This is for the exhaust pipe to fit as a stack pipe. Pipe thread for this size is believe or not 11.5 TPI, now who thought of that? My lathe can do 11 or 12 but not half way inbetween.

Grasshopper

« Reply #143 on: 03 November, 2020, 10:05:29 pm »
Cobba,  Persistence will win out in the end, know how you feel with the sore shoulder, I had the same when first trying to start my SPI McDonald after fitting another head.  Got it running and a few adjustments and all good.
Lets hope your McDonald comes good after all the work you have put in.
I am sure it will end up a goer.
Grasshopper Max

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #144 on: 04 November, 2020, 04:16:12 pm »
Thanks Max, I won't let it beat me, not after all this blood sweat tears and cursing. Got another minor issue sorted out today and found that they still sell 1 1/2" pipe nipple in the plumbing store so I can attach the chimney and have it facing up to share the smoke and crap with everyone else nearby.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #145 on: 07 November, 2020, 04:25:36 pm »

Well I decided it was a fuel issue, not enough getting inside so I went back to the instruction book and then questioned myself as to how I gapped the injector arm that lifts it up. Started to alter things and then thought it best to talk to Jarrod and get some extra info. This was the best idea I had all afternoon and it was very helpful as to where things should be when adjusted and also that the hissing sound I was hearing was 'blow by'.
So I made a thicker "shim" for want of a better description and it is a bit too thick as I can rotate the flywheels but it just touches the exhaust valve so I will remove some of the thin shims and try again tomorrow. Glad I was feeling for the touch and that I did not try to start it up. Co I feel more confident that tomorrow it will run.
I also had to re-adjust the position of the governor arm on the shaft that comes from the back. It was holding the lift arm at the injector at around halfway along the curved groove of that arm. you can also see the exhaust stack in place now.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #146 on: 08 November, 2020, 03:47:46 pm »
Well it has happened, lots of noise and smoke, I mean smoke everywhere and its loud. Had to use my temporary belt to get it running but eventually it started running on its own, albeit rough and bloody loud under the carport. I had it running for around 10 - 12 minutes and as I was parking the tractor away it stopped. Not seized but ran out of fuel. It was getting a small amount of air back up the clear fuel line and I dont know how to stop that as yet. I ended up using the dial indicator to adjust the amount of lift on the injector. The speed wheel as it is called seems to work as I would slow it down a little bit at a time for a while but not wanting it to be slow. A lot of room for improvement but happy it makes a noise and spits oil and crap over everything, now I have to wash Dees car.

https://youtu.be/qe2_y_tSw3M

wee-allis

« Reply #147 on: 08 November, 2020, 05:25:28 pm »

Good one Cobba. Proud of you, remembering what you started with.
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

famous fitter

« Reply #148 on: 08 November, 2020, 06:02:58 pm »
Hi Cobba,

I hid my swag and pillow for the last week just in case the old bastard started. Dee will feel my pain !!!

Cheers Justin

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #149 on: 08 November, 2020, 08:49:53 pm »
Thanks everyone, yep happy as can be it actually runs after all the words I have called it, skin left behind on it and many sleepless nights thinking out a way of how to fix what ever it was I was working on.
IT really runs like a shaggy dog runs fine for a short time then skips a beat then picks up again. So far my hopes for this have happened, it is noisey, smokey and has an oil leak at the oil pressure indicator. I tried to get the unscrewed early in the piece but it tucked away in a corner and no room for a hand and a screwdriver to undo 2 of the screws which are bloody tight.
Now I want to get it running smoother and to do that it needs to be running for a few hours to bed the rings in.

Is the heavy black smoke from too much fuel? If so how do I fix that?