Author Topic: Toilet bowl problem  (Read 1951 times)

Charlie

Toilet bowl problem
« on: 10 April, 2020, 12:08:21 pm »
G'Day everyone,
With some time on my hands I'm putting an effort into fixing up some old jobs around the place and could do with some advice with one in particular.  Our second toilet sits on a brick floor.  These are really old unglazed porous bricks and there's no concrete slab underneath (compressed bedding). I had to replace the chipped bowl and do up the old 1960's Clarke cistern (similar to Dent).  After a heap of investigation and replacements the cistern is now working.  The problem is the bowl.  I laid down a bead of Soudal T-Rex adhesive /sealant, sat the bowl on it and let it cure.  Put a bit of pressure on one side of the bowl and the joint gave way from the bricks.  The old fixing screw holes in the bricks are too warn and too soft so I need to rely on the grab of the silicone.  A fella suggested that I seal the bricks with Boncrete starting with a diluted layer.  Be interested in your thoughts.
Cheers,
Charlie

winchester

Re: Toilet bowl problem
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2020, 02:37:27 pm »
Yes well ,me thinks that  by using one of the ''Sika '' adhesives ,namely ''Sika  Anchor Fix #1 or #3 will solve your problem. Both are two part adhesives that mix as you apply the cartridge . The silicon will have to be removed prior to the application of the Sika  Anchor Fix.  Dont bother with Bond Crete.

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2020, 03:34:03 pm »
Thanks Winchester

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2020, 09:53:23 pm »
Yes, Sikaproducts are brilliant. Read the paper pamphlet as to which one is best for your application as there are a few to choose from. Sealing the bricks with Bondall will help to seal the soft bricks. Diluting on the first coat will help penetration.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2020, 12:50:16 pm »
Thanks cobbagog, the problem is that I've got a brand new tube of Soudal T-Rex Power (recommended).  Bit of a trip into town but happy to swap it over if the Sika is better.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2020, 04:13:23 pm »
I have not seen or heard of the one you mentioned but if the specs say it is suitable, put it to use.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.