Author Topic: IZ series southern cross wind mill.  (Read 2190 times)

Gary Lee

IZ series southern cross wind mill.
« on: 13 April, 2020, 10:56:37 am »
Thanks to Admin for allowing me to register.
I have dismantled a Southern Cross wind mill, IZ1A series and need some advise on tolerances for the white metal bushes.
The internal bush measures 22.3 to 22,35 mm and the external bush is 22.3 measured sideways, and 22.6 mm measured vertically. can anyone advise if this is within allowed tollerances.
Cheers, Gary Lee.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: IZ series southern cross wind mill.
« Reply #1 on: 13 April, 2020, 03:54:42 pm »
G'Day Gary and welcome,
Somewhere around this site is a heap of talk on windmills and some of the contributors know a lot about them, unfortunately I am not one of them. Hang in there and someone will come along with the right specs for you.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

winchester

« Reply #2 on: 13 April, 2020, 11:15:48 pm »
Yes well Gary . I have rebuilt a couple of Meters type M  mills .In both cases I have poured and fitted   new white metal bushes . In one case the hub was badly worn ,that is the bore was way oversize and out of round  , as the fan had been running and wearing the bore of the hub. The repair in this case was to bore out the  hub and fit a new steel bush that had been machined for an interference fit into the cast iron hub, I had to be careful as there was not much metal and I did not want to split the hub as I pressed in the steel bush. I had pushed a 1/4 inch broach through and produced a new key way in this new steel bush . With regards to the shaft to bearing clearance  ,the shaft was  a new one machined to a diam of ! inch and  when assembled would have what would be classified a ''Running or sliding  Clearance fit''. The oil recommended is what they called''Wind Mill Oil'' It was claimed that it did not froth due to the meshing of the gears. I have used straight SAE  oil , cheap Woolies brand and it does the job.
I have never rebuilt a Southern  Cross mill  but would assume  there are  much the same details .
If your mill is what is known as the Seneschal then it has a  different oil system ,ie a hand pump at the base of the tower which enables you to top up the oil reservoir .  Alternatively Your mill may be the Southern Cross ''H ''Pattern which has double  enclosed gears ,the babbitt  metal bushes   are flooded when the mill is in motion I would say that the standard ''Running or Clearance''  fit would apply.
I have had old farming individuals tell me that Nylon makes a good bearing bush ,maybe but I prefer the white metal , my thoughts are that  Nylon could in fact wear the shaft.
Hope I have helped .

winchester

« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2020, 11:20:10 pm »
Sorry Gary ,just noted that your mill is an IZ  series , these may be a much later mill that the ones I mentioned . ,I have not had any experience with this series .

Gary Lee

« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2020, 03:50:26 pm »
Thanks to all for the advise, will watch with interest.
Spoke to a machinist friend of mine and he seems to think the bushes may be ok. He admits that he has little knowledge in this area.

RayF

« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2020, 08:23:36 pm »
That sizing will work OK but the bearings in the IZ mills are knock out and knock in for the snout and the others just sit in. Should be available as a spare part.

winchester

« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2020, 10:18:07 am »
Yes that's right Ray ,knock in for the snout bush. From a WA  view point I wonder where SC are now ,they used to have a large building in Maylands facing the railway. It became empty and was used by Goldsworthy Mining as warehouse when Shay Gap was being developed.
I have the old telephone number B4039  !!!!

RayF

« Reply #7 on: 16 April, 2020, 11:10:32 am »
Thats all gone Peter. The South African Rainbow mills are almost identical. They are SA Southern Cross. The only difference I could see was the Aussie Mills have machined teeth on the gears and the Rainbow are as cast like on the earlier Z patterns. There is a good windmill shop at the foot of Greenmount next door to the big Southern Cross Mill thats been there for years.

winchester

« Reply #8 on: 16 April, 2020, 12:05:04 pm »
Thanks Ray that big SC at the foot of Greenmount is a beauty.....