Author Topic: Tangye Type O oil engine  (Read 1943 times)

JeffR

• Gwelup, WA.
Tangye Type O oil engine
« on: 17 April, 2020, 11:55:01 pm »
G'day,

A fellow club member is currently restoring a Tangye Type O oil engine and has hit a hurdle with a damaged part that he would like some info on. The part in question is the Half Compression Lever (unsure if that's the correct name) that engages with/onto the exhaust rocker and aids in starting the engine. The end of this part had been broken off prior to receiving the engine and he would like to replicate it.
Does anyone have the same type of engine or know of someone that has the same type of engine that he could possibly get some dimensions off or even a manual or a drawing/tracing.
He has previously been in contact with Kerry Morris (Tangye Register) regarding this engine.
If anyone has any info at all that I could pass on it would be much appreciated. Happy to pass on contact details if preferred.
Regards
Jeff Ryan.

asw120

Re: Tangye Type O oil engine
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2020, 10:05:11 pm »
This bit. 4hp type O.

Jarrod.

JeffR

• Gwelup, WA.
« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2020, 12:09:41 am »
G'day Jarrod,

Apologies for not replying sooner, haven't been on here for a while, bloody forgot I posted on here to be honest. Yes that is one of the parts.
I have copied a post I put on Smokstak with a few photos as per below.

"G'day,
I?ve received a bit more info on the engine from my mate Ian today, as well as the photos of the damaged/missing parts that have been fabricated.
The bore is 5 ??and stroke is 9 ??. Flywheel size is 36? x 4?.
When the engine was received the Half Compression lever/cam assembly, the roller (located between Half Compression lever and Exhaust Rocker) and the end (tail) of the Exhaust Rocker Arm were all missing. Below is a description including photos of how the parts were fabricated/repaired.

Exhaust Rocker Arm ? the broken tail piece was fabricated and brazed to the remainder of the original rocker arm, the piece of white paper indicates where it was joined. As the profile of the broken part was not known the profile of the new piece was continued on from the profile of the original piece (hope that makes sense). The lug on the tail has been threaded to accommodate the cap head screw.

Roller ?The width was machined to the same dimensions as the cam located opposite on the sideshaft, the diameter was not known either so a guesstimation was made.

Half Compression Lever/Cam ? No known dimensions so more guesstimation from photos and videos viewed on the net. As you can see in the photos the cam profile was brazed on to the body, this was re-shaped several times when trying to start the engine.

Hopefully the photos will help explain things a lot clearer than what I have attempted to do.
Whether these fabricated parts are even close in dimensions/profile is unknown at this stage. With that in mind if anyone could provide drawings/tracings and or dimensions of these parts it would be a big help to get this engine running."

JeffR

• Gwelup, WA.
« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2020, 12:11:35 am »
More photos.

Regards
Jeff Ryan.

asw120

« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2020, 07:42:39 pm »
No worries. Mine's still a long way from running. I've started to make a transport for it from some old bridge timbers and some new 4x2 hardwood for cross members. Have some cast wheels off a bore pump (?) and some line shafting for axles.
First one I've done for axles  (as opposed to castors), so may be some reworking along the way.

Cheers, Jarrod.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2020, 09:44:03 pm »
I call 'on the go engineering' design and build as you go. It worked for me. Looked at many transporters from rally pics and existing ones I have and started building.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

JeffR

• Gwelup, WA.
« Reply #6 on: 11 May, 2020, 01:29:12 am »
All the best with the rebuild Jarrod, hope you don't hit too many hurdles along the way.
Regards
Jeff.

asw120

« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2020, 03:38:00 pm »
Thanks. In the long term, there is major crank and flywheel work required. In the short-term I will do a quicky on it so I can see it run.

Jarrod.