Author Topic: Daimler 1885 Replica  (Read 5009 times)

Combustor

Daimler 1885 Replica
« on: 22 September, 2009, 01:02:40 am »
     Just to launch the topic, not a model, but an accurate working replica---

A keen motorcycle restorer friend of mine here in the Kimberley has recently completed a
working replica of the world's first internal combustion powered vehicle, Gottlieb Daimler's
1885 Reiterrad, or "Ridingwheel", a timber framed wooden wheeled motor cycle. The attached
photo shows it on its first public outing, at our Ag. Show last year. This year it will be
seen in Vic and SA at major bike shows, and several museums have expressed interest in
displaying it,so keep a lookout.
     Interesting to realise where motoring began. Having proved the concept, Daimler joined
forces with Karl Benz to build the first car, and as they say, the rest is history!
                                                         Regards,  Combustor.
Old Iron On The New Frontier, Kimberley, WA.  Toys include:Ruston 3VQBN,Lister VA SOM plant,
R&T 8hp CF, Chamberlain Canelander.

Peter Short

• Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Daimler 1885 Replica
« Reply #1 on: 24 September, 2009, 10:02:52 pm »
Hi Combuster,

What an impressive project, especially a working replica!! I think all the accounts I have read dismiss the original as unworkable, so it will be great to hear what it is like! I would be very interested to learn more about it, and how it runs.

Interesting to realise where motoring began. Having proved the concept, Daimler joined forces with Karl Benz to build the first car, and as they say, the rest is history!

I can't let you get away with that comment though. I will have to do some research to see if these two great men met each other (it would not be surprising), but I have not read that they worked together. Daimler's great partner in design was Wilhelm Maybach. I think it is probably correct to say that Daimler produced the first I.C. engine suitable for a vehicle but the bone shaker above, and his first car were not practical, whereas Benz produced the first practical? motor vehicle.

However, it will be great to hear your friends opinion, he will no doubt find out if the historians are correct!

Peter Short

• Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2009, 01:23:55 pm »
I will have to do some research to see if these two great men met each other

I don't think they ever met from what I have read.

p.s. can't seem to edit posts.

Combustor

« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2009, 11:55:34 pm »
Hello Peter Short,
                 My apologies for my imperfect grasp of motoring history. My friend Phil,
who has built this marvel can no doubt fill me in on the background to these early machines.
He has been in contact with Mercedes-Benz museum and worked from the few drawings still
available. The original was destroyed in a workshop (or museum) fire early last century and
the one now existng was rebuilt later by Daimler Benz apprentices. Phil's replica is as
accurate as available information allows. For safe and reliable public demonstrations several
more recent refinements will be added, but on static display it will be fully authentic.
Once again excuse my ignorance,   Regards,  Combustor.
Old Iron On The New Frontier, Kimberley, WA.  Toys include:Ruston 3VQBN,Lister VA SOM plant,
R&T 8hp CF, Chamberlain Canelander.

Peter Short

• Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: 26 September, 2009, 12:03:39 pm »
Combuster,

I would be grateful to hear more details of this excellent replica, (if you get a chance to find out), or if you know of any links on the internet.

Although building the worlds first motorcycle was amazing enough, it was the engine that Daimler and Maybach designed that really was the important thing. The worlds first high-speed petrol engine suitable for fitting to a vehicle. This really was a big deal, and took many years of work including designing a carburettor and a hot tube ignition (not the first though).

So I am particularly interested to know if your friend made a replica of the 1/2 hp engine too? It had some interesting features, e.g. a groove in one of the engine flywheels to actuate the exhaust valve, and also another (3rd) valve in the top of the piston to provide some pressure scavenging. Inlet by automatic spring-loaded valve.

I have been reading in Cummin's Internal Fire how Maybach's first experiments with petrol started back when he and Daimler worked for Otto and Langen (Deutz). Maybach would hold a petrol-soaked rag near the inlet of a gas engine, turn off the gas supply, then vary the engine speed by moving the position of the rag.

It wasn't long before Maybach's test area was surrounded with mesh to contain the explosions and fragments of engine parts that threatened his fellow workers....

Early petrol fuels were more dangerous than the fuels we are used to. They comprised almost 100% volatile fractions and it was considered a hazadous fuel until around 1913 when fuel with about 40% volatile fraction was developed.

Peter Short

• Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2009, 12:15:51 pm »
I forgot to add to my previous post (can't find the edit feature :( ) I have one account of how this motorcycle was ridden in 1885 by Paul Daimler a distance of 3 km. There is some less definite evidence that Wilhelm Maybach also used it on several occasions. (Three-Pointed Star by D. Scott-Moncrieff)