Author Topic: 2HP Ronaldson Tippett Type N  (Read 2931 times)

Cockie

2HP Ronaldson Tippett Type N
« on: 26 July, 2020, 07:24:08 am »
Has anyone done a change of main bearings on a 2HP N lately, I have one with shot bearings, and would like to know if the seals can still be purchased or do I have to be careful and not damage them. Also as a double check can anyone tell me the bearing number / size as the crank side bearing looks like the cone might not be the correct one as it's badly worn on the inner edge.
Many thanks in advance,
Cockie

famous fitter

Re: 2HP Ronaldson Tippett Type N
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2020, 08:18:23 am »
Hi Cockie,

The main seals should be Still easy enough to get,if you have the outer race number and the shaft size you will be able to identify The inner cone at a bearing shop.

I?m pretty sure the left and right are the same bearing. Be prepared for them being ridiculous in price as they are a very odd size. All my junk ronnies have been raided for the bearings if they were any good.

Cheers Justin

AUSDOK

« Reply #2 on: 26 July, 2020, 11:42:33 am »
Hi somewhere in the past a guy measured up the bearings and replaced them with a standard size. He said it was a lot cheaper and as it was not a working engine it did fine. Regards Rudy

Cockie

« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2020, 12:06:37 pm »
AUSDOK and Famous Fitter,

Thanks for your replies, I seem to recall the guy making the bearing a standard size, and I think I know him, but also I believe it involved some machining.

Famous Fitter, do you get any variations to your handle, I once worked with a fitter and turner who got hold of a labeling machine and did up a tag for his hard hat "DEFT MACHINIST" one of the guys did up and replaced the tag with "DAFT MACHINIST" it took him weeks to realize.

famous fitter

« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2020, 12:53:39 pm »
Hi Cockie,

I agree with Ausdok to try find an alternative , even a standard ball bearing would do , the tapered roller bearing is overkill. Even a bronze bush would work for a long time .......

My user name was derived from the fact I collect IHC famous engines and a fitter and turner by trade.

I get called all sorts of nick names , I guess I was Famous for winning some awards as an apprentice so got called that a few times by the locals who know me.

Some say it should be infamous fitter .........

Cheers and good luck sorting the bearings out

afairwea

• Mentone, Victoria 3194
« Reply #5 on: 14 September, 2020, 09:56:12 pm »
On the topic of ronny 2hp n types, anyone got (or know where i can get) an oversized piston? Need plus 20thou.
Cooper 2 stand shearing plant ...in pieces, McDonald CE Diesel engine... in pieces, McCormick Deering 3hp type M (broken fuel pump bracket but still runs), Underwood marine engine (water in exhaust and seized due to my stupidity), Ransomes mk7 barrel mower, R&T 2hp type N (many in pieces).

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #6 on: 15 September, 2020, 04:02:57 pm »
On Smokstak Downunder I am sure a bloke has the numbers to ask for and you can get the bearings very cheaply, from memory around $35.00 each. Have a look through there.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Cockie

« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2020, 08:54:24 am »
Cobbadog, I have just purchased a set of Timken main bearings for a Ronny N 2HP, I will put it this way, I got them $686.00 cheaper than a local supplier. I purchased from WS Bearings in China, paid by Pay Pal and delivered within two weeks, they even e-mailed me after delivery to ensure I was happy with the product.

Try,
Longteng Bearing Co., Ltd(WS Bearing Co., Ltd)
Add: Madison Square High Tech Industrial Zone Tianjin, China.
Tel: 010-61590044

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2020, 04:34:43 pm »
Well done Cockie.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

jdaley

« Reply #9 on: 25 September, 2023, 09:47:01 pm »
Cockie, what bearing numbers did you use when dealing with the Chinese company please?
jdaley Bendigo, Australia

Cockie

« Reply #10 on: 28 September, 2023, 05:57:59 am »
Jdaley,

I used the original Timken bearing numbers, which I don't have on hand at the moment, and my computer that I did the transaction on has died, so it may take a while before I can get them to you if at all. I have been told that some restorers have machined the housings to fit Ford wheel bearings.
Cockie.

jdaley

« Reply #11 on: 28 September, 2023, 09:38:11 am »
Thanks
jdaley Bendigo, Australia

Cockie

« Reply #12 on: 30 September, 2023, 04:19:25 pm »
jdaley,
Found half the puzzle the box for the cup, the number is...............26274, from that the matching cone to suit the crank diameter should be able to be found. I'm cleaning out my shed so possibly the cone box will turn up soon, maybe.

Cockie

Cockie

« Reply #13 on: 30 September, 2023, 04:35:41 pm »
Don't take it a correct but the cone is possibly 26126, check your crank journal size before committing.  https://cad.timken.com/item/tapered-roller-bearings-ts-tapered-single-/tapered-roller-bearings-ts-tapered-single-imperi-2/26126-26274.