Author Topic: Advice on main bearing replacement Massey Fergusson FE35 Petrol motor.  (Read 10614 times)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Advice on main bearing replacement Massey Fergusson FE35 Petrol motor.
« Reply #15 on: 30 August, 2020, 02:21:55 pm »
Next time you do an oil change try to use an appropriate grade oil for the old style engine. If they have used an oil that is too light this might be causing leak down or maybe not. That is a good price for the radiator so while you are waiting on that maybe check and test the thermostat that it is opening. Check all your hoses for any sign of age and replace as required.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Grasshopper

« Reply #16 on: 31 August, 2020, 07:28:50 pm »
Hi Cobbadog,
Yes I was thinking it may be the modern oils,
May have to go back to straight old SE30 plain jane oil and see how we go.
Will give the radiator hoses a good look over and will probably replace them if in doubt and certainly I will check the thermostat.
New seat cushions turned up today and I have made the frame for the carryall, just have to add the linkage pick up points bolt on some boards and a paint and I am finished with building my own carryall.
Not enough hours in a day that's the problem, and when your retired like me "You never get a day off."
Cheers
Grasshopper Max

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #17 on: 31 August, 2020, 09:39:51 pm »
Good progress. The last time I attacked my old carry all the timbers were totally stuffed and I needed them for last years RIR so a quick trip to town and bought some 25mm rough sawn hardwood, replaced all boards and laid some flat bar iron over the ends and tack welded them in. Timber cant jump out.
SAE30 obviously is fine but some of the newer oils so long as they are heavy enough still work well but not something like a 10w oil its a bit light.

Grasshopper

« Reply #18 on: 12 September, 2020, 11:05:01 pm »
Progressing slowly on carryall for Ferguson,
Have completed the steel frame welded on all the link pickup points and first coat of paint done.
Hope to finish painting tomorrow then bolt on the floor boards Monday if all go to plan.
Replaced the radiator in the FE Petrol 35, this turned out to be a bit more time consuming and annoyingly frustrating.
Removed old radiator no problem, new radiator looked just right until I went to fix the fan cowling to the side of the radiator.
Discovered that the bottom outlet pipe on bottom tank was not turned out enough to clear fan cowling. Also top inlet pipe did not quite point down enough.
What to do, send  radiator back or make do.
I chose the latter by bending in fan cowling so outlet pipe could go past it.
Next problem, fan blade now hitting cowling, bugger.
Took off fan carefully measured 25mm on each 4 blades and removed part of the blade.
Refitted fan after painting and all is well,
I don't think the loss of a bit of blade will make too much difference to the cooling effect and balance seems ok.
Completed installation, top hose was a struggle to get on but its done now, filled radiator with water, no leaks and ok when heated up a bit.
Sent a email to suppliers of radiator that there was a problem with their product. At $369 posted I guess It wasn't too bad with a few mods.
Thermostat checked out ok
Pulled the oil filter off the tractor to check if one fitted, yes a fleetguard which are pretty good.
There is a short sharp rattle for a few seconds on cold start then disappears.
Oil pressure is excellent even at idle,
The engine runs as sweet as a nut and sounds perfect on low idle, a little tappet noise only. Must admit it does have me a little perplexed this sharp rattle and goes away.
I must study the timing chain mechanism in the manual and see if anything there.
Absolutely no blue smoke at all and oil very clean.
I fitted new spark plugs, no difference in running, old plugs a bit black and sooty so maybe carby can be leaned up a little.
Will check color of new plugs before fiddling with carby as engine running really sweet.
That's all for now folks
Cheers
Grassshopper Max

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #19 on: 13 September, 2020, 09:28:58 pm »
Gday Max, I will be keen to hear the response from the radiator supplier and the reason it did not fit. When not in a hurry I would contact them and wait for the reply and stand my ground about them supplying the correct part that requires not butchering to make it fit, but that is me.
It would be good to be at the engine and have someone start it up for you to check where the rattle comes from. Just might be the timing chain but would need to confirm. Not a hard job to do but the radiator out will be the case to fix that issue. I know these are old vehicles but I still run anti freeze/inhibetor in our tractors.
Your carry all sounds good so look forward to seeing it finished.

Grasshopper

« Reply #20 on: 13 September, 2020, 11:04:26 pm »
Hello Cobberdog,
Yes I must follow up on the radiator and see what the go is there, as it is the radiator is ok and I'm sure the bit I took off each fan is not going to cause problems as the tractor will not be doing any serious hard work that might tax the cooling system.
I will get some inhibitor and anti freeze tomorrow and add in as Warwick is notorious for our frosty mornings although winter conditions seems to have passed for now.
I am starting to suspect the timing chain may be at fault causing the rattle at cold start, maybe a stretched chain or warn sprockets, good idea to have someone start tractor while I listen.
I would never try and start tractor out of the drivers seat for safety reasons.
Will post some pictures of the carryall when completed, it is only a small carryall, suitable for my needs though.
I will also post some pictures soon on stationary engines section of my two acquisitions lately,
a 4hp YB Southern Cross that runs very nice, have to make a cooling tank for it.
The other is a 6 HP CS Lister on a transporter, runs nicely, it is complete except for a weird ungainly fuel tank made from a LP gas bottle towering over it.
The transporter is a little on the small side. will modify.
Went to a clearing sale and picked up an air cooled mobilco petrol motor with Wico magneto. I think these were fitted to a lot of Howard  machinery.
It turns over for 1.5 revs then comes to a stop, same thing when reversed ???  another job to pull it down and see what the problem is.
I only paid $8 for it so no big deal, the magneto is worth more and it bites like a dog as I found out turning the motor over with a disconnected spark plug lead which loved my arm.
Same sale  4 x 10 inch  steel wheels with square axles (2 axles)  went for $350 blew me away on my bids.
These things are like gold. A single steel spoked old combine wheel went for $350.
Ok that's all my rambling for now.
Cheer,
Grasshopper Max

wee-allis

« Reply #21 on: 14 September, 2020, 07:37:18 am »

Max, if it turns over one and a half turns in either direction, fair chance it has a stuck valve, but stuck in the closed position, as it's not hitting the piston.
Just my thoughts.
Cheers,
Steve.
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

Grasshopper

« Reply #22 on: 14 September, 2020, 03:52:28 pm »
Hello Steve,
I think you have hit the nail right on the head about the stuck valve,
Shining a torch into spark plug hole I can see one valve moving but not the other.
I have a proper probe light (from my old Pest Control days looking for termites), somewhere in all my gear, I will find it and take a closer look.
I certainly think that i will find a stuck valve.
Am posting pictures of engine in Stationary engines section.
Thanks again for your input
Grasshopper Max

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #23 on: 14 September, 2020, 04:43:44 pm »
Lesson #1 for magnetos, always make sure they can send the spark to ground. If not you will damage the coil/s.

Grasshopper

« Reply #24 on: 14 September, 2020, 05:15:58 pm »
Good point Cobbadog,
I should know better to not have    spark plug lead grounded.
I was concentrating on why crank was stopping at 1.5 turns.
Soon know why,  but Steve is on the money.
Cheers
Grasshopper Max

Grasshopper

« Reply #25 on: 15 September, 2020, 07:48:19 pm »
Hello Forum Readers,
Finally finished the 3 point linkage Carryall I made up for my Massey Ferguson FE 35 petrol.
All I have to do is put a sealer over the boards and that should be it.
Also painted the 3 point linkage Jib while the paint tin was open.
Topped up the radiator of the tractor with coolant and antifreeze today after the radiator change out a few days ago.
Pictures below.
Cheers
Grasshopper Max

wee-allis

« Reply #26 on: 15 September, 2020, 08:23:11 pm »

Carryall looks great, but bloody hell, you won't bend that jib!!

Grasshopper

« Reply #27 on: 15 September, 2020, 09:04:21 pm »
I am thinking the Jib might be a bit of an overkill for the little 35.
As you say it will not bend.
Have not fitted it to the tractor yet but intend to try it soon.
I did not make this Jib, purchased as is.  Was on the back of a Nuffield. May have to modify it with a lighter beam or sell it and start making one from scratch.

Grasshopper Max

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #28 on: 15 September, 2020, 09:48:41 pm »
Carryall worked out well including a 'kodak' moment for the hound. I would move the industrial size jib onto someone with a larger tractor and source a more suitable one for the FE35. You could probably break even or better selling the monster to someone else and buying the smaller version or m,aking one.

wee-allis

« Reply #29 on: 16 September, 2020, 06:48:28 am »

Max, for all that most of us use a rear jib on a tractor, I think the one you have will do everything you need it for. You won't bend it and with the adjustment possibilities on the fulcrum section, it will be able to adapt to what ever weight you ask of it. But by all means, if you decide to make tour own, you have the capability, judging by you job on the carryall.
Steve.