Author Topic: New Toy , 3.5 HP Ganes CH Diesel  (Read 1041 times)

Grasshopper

New Toy , 3.5 HP Ganes CH Diesel
« on: 22 September, 2020, 07:50:13 pm »
Hello Forum Readers,
Came home with another toy today, A 3.5 HP Diesel water cooled Gane CH model which is a badged Ronaldson Tippet CH model.
It is on a rough old transporter with a copper water tank.
The engine number is 35878, perhaps some body can work out a production date, probably around 1950 I should think.
Ganes Milking Company were the company involved with marketing thjs engine even if it is really a Ronaldson Tippet.
Fuel injector and Fuel pump have been serviced, the engine runs fine, plenty of compression and no bearing knocks.
Fortunately I still have the full operating manual for it, a manual I have kept for twenty years since last owning a CH 3.5 HP Ronaldson Tippet.
Some photo's below.
Cheers
Grasshopper Max

Triumphline

• Global Moderator
Re: New Toy , 3.5 HP Ganes CH Diesel
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2020, 07:56:46 pm »
It is a RT built engine built 1945.
Patrick
Patrick M Livingstone
The Austral Register
Sydney, NSW

Grasshopper

Re: New Toy , 3.5 HP Ganes CH Diesel
« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2020, 10:10:51 pm »
Thanks Patrick for the engine manufacturing date 1945, engine a little bit older than I thought but all good.
The last Ronaldson Tippet CH I had 21 years ago developed a sharp Knock and I mentioned this to an old timer who had a lot of engines, and he told me to check the flywheel as it is probably cracked and this particular engine quite often crack where the flywheel gets pinched together with the tightening bolt.
He was right mine was cracked causing it to slip on the keyway on the power stroke.
He sold me a spare flywheel which was slightly heavier duty and said it would increase the horsepower to 4 HP.
Fitted the flywheel and never had any more problems with it, eventually sold the engine in WA before I came to Queensland.
Thanks again,
Grasshopper Max