Author Topic: The making of a garden ornament.  (Read 2116 times)

wee-allis

The making of a garden ornament.
« on: 12 October, 2020, 02:52:56 pm »
 This started when I bought a 1937 VAK1A David Brown to restore. Shortly after I was given a partially burnt Cropmaster for spares. All I really wanted was the double seat frame and peddles to convert mine to a two seater. It didn't get done

Along came a guy needing the cylinder head for his tractor. Not too sure but memory tells me it may have been "Soft hearted Scotsman" who use ot haunt this form years ago. Anyway, a bottle of Scotch for the complete head and $100 for a couple of tyres and he was on his way. Tractor #1 on it's way

Shortly after, a local guy needed the bonnet, grill and steering gear, as a tree had fallen on his Croppie. Come and help yourself.  Tractor #2 a goer.

Then Cobbadog needed the timing gears for his tractor. No worries, get them out and post them off. Then he needed a couple of big end bolts and nuts. As luck would have it, the engine is seized with the crankshaft horizontal. A snack to get them out and post off.  Tractor #3 done and dusted.

A member of the North Coast Club needed the "Horse collar" shroud to complete his machine. Tractor #4 finished.

A change of plans and down sizing saw my original David Brown given to a collector as I had lost interest in it.

So there you see "The making of a garden ornament"
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: The making of a garden ornament.
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2020, 04:36:06 pm »
Yes and I am still in your debt for providing those much need parts too.

Of late the engine I rebuilt started behaving badly and first I thought carby. Now I am the worlds fastest remover, strip down, clean if needed and re fit a Solex FP-30 carby than anyone else on the planet. Result still no good. Next came the ignition. Dizzy out and stripped and cleaned out with no obvious issue, replace the condensor anyway just in case. Next was the HT leads and a whole new set was made up using copper wire leads and new connections plus then used the multi meter to test continuity from inside the cap to the HT lead ends and all was good but not the coil and found the carbon button was sticking, resolve. All new plugs just incase and the outcome was still no better.
As time goes by I think about the bloody thing and recently a D.B Club member suggested valve timing. So one day/s when I can I have to lift the rocker cover off and check the valve timing.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.