Author Topic: Liner Roughrider dumper - Recirculating ball steering  (Read 2831 times)

afairwea

• Mentone, Victoria 3194
Liner Roughrider dumper - Recirculating ball steering
« on: 04 November, 2020, 10:22:33 pm »
Hey all,
I've got a Liner Roughrider 1250. When i bought it, it had a steering problem like it was skipping a gear (at that point i didnt know it was recirculating ball steering) so i took the cover off and found a stack of ball bearings lying in the bottom of the case.
So then my hypothesis turned to, maybe the reason it was skipping was due to having spat a few balls out.
Either way, i now have some extra ball bearings to put into it. The new problem is how to get the ball bearings back into it... and to stay in it!
I've watched a couple of videos on replacing balls in a recirculating ball steering system, however, all of them require access to the recirculating tube to feed the balls into. This concept is great... except this part of the worm nut faces the back of the casing.
So if anyone has a Liner dumper and has come across this before, please please let me know! its driving me mad!
Cooper 2 stand shearing plant ...in pieces, McDonald CE Diesel engine... in pieces, McCormick Deering 3hp type M (broken fuel pump bracket but still runs), Underwood marine engine (water in exhaust and seized due to my stupidity), Ransomes mk7 barrel mower, R&T 2hp type N (many in pieces).

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Liner Roughrider dumper - Recirculating ball steering
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2020, 03:41:53 pm »
My earlier and smaller model Liner Roughrider has a Bishop steering box and uses a peg and worm to do the steering and not the recirculating ball bearing set up. It may be the case of taking it out and working on the bench with it. Try posting a couple of pics please to see if I can see another way around it. They can be a challenge at times.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

afairwea

• Mentone, Victoria 3194
« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2020, 04:23:32 pm »
No worries i'll post pictures the next day i get to work on it. cheers
Cooper 2 stand shearing plant ...in pieces, McDonald CE Diesel engine... in pieces, McCormick Deering 3hp type M (broken fuel pump bracket but still runs), Underwood marine engine (water in exhaust and seized due to my stupidity), Ransomes mk7 barrel mower, R&T 2hp type N (many in pieces).

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2020, 09:27:58 pm »
Hi, if you are still having issues go to      www.classicmachinery.net/forums    there is a DUMPERS section there that can be slow but full of good advise. This is based in the UK.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

afairwea

• Mentone, Victoria 3194
« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2020, 09:56:32 pm »
cheers mate, yeh posted the same question on their as well. We'll have to wait and see what happens!
Checked out the bishop steering box, unfortunately its not that type. Hopefully i'll have some pictures for you tomorrow.

ianoz

« Reply #5 on: 07 November, 2020, 06:18:09 pm »
Here is another UK forum , that is a bit more Active . Make sure you say hello and introduce yourself first  Before you start asking Questions .
https://www.planttalk.co.uk/
fowler vf,david brown 30td,cat D24U,D47U,D47J,D46U,R4,D68U IH TD9,TD6 and many more
 Benaraby Central Queensland