Author Topic: Valve Timing  (Read 9684 times)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Valve Timing
« Reply #30 on: 26 May, 2021, 09:59:49 pm »
Enjoy we certainly will. Even on the short run before finding the fuel leak he still has a very torquey engine. His ability to take hard left corners and pull away in top gear uphill is amazing and this is with the oversized tyres on the rear as well. Will sort out the fuel leak as soon as possible so we both can go for a picnic up in the forrest again like we used to do.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #31 on: 05 June, 2021, 04:51:49 pm »

Here is the latest and hopefully final response all but 1 because it might not be fixed. I found where the fuel leak was comming from, the fuel line was not seated properly to the fuel tank fitting, then I found that I did the unbelievable and actually fitted it back to front which is why it was sitting right. So corrected the problem and the connection at the tank was cured but now a slow leak at the fuel tap. So I ahd a close look and there was a slight mark on the edge of the flange, not on the taper, and this must have been where it was seeping from. I bought some 5/16" olives and nuts the other day thinking I will simply make a new fuel line and fit that. WRONG! 5/16" fittings dont fit the 3/8" outlets and fuel tap sizes. See the original fittings are unusually POMMY in design and although 5/16" is the tube size the original fittings step it up to be 3/8" and I have no idea why.
So on the phone to the metal yards in town for some new 12mm brass rod to make a new fitting and sweat this on wrong again biggest in town is only 10mm which is too small. A little bit more thought and I was on the lathe making a new fitting out of mid steel. This went well and I soft soldered it in place then installed it. Still a slight leak at the tap but all good at the tank. So to finish the day off I went back to the brass fitting and soldered it back in place then fitted it all back together with some Stag Jointing Paste which claims is good on petrol. So it is now out there curing over night. I put a tiny amount in the recess of the taper and around the flange under the nut. Tomorrow will tell.

So the pics will show a rough soldering job but it works along with my termimesh inline fuel filter to stop rust from getting to the glass bowl and carby.

Attachments

asw120

« Reply #32 on: 05 June, 2021, 06:19:22 pm »
Those fittings are available at hydraulic places. I got some recently.

Jarrod.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #33 on: 05 June, 2021, 09:37:01 pm »
ok Pirtek here usually have everything but now it appears it depends on who you talk to. Cheers Cobba

asw120

« Reply #34 on: 06 June, 2021, 08:13:14 pm »
It's in their catalogue. Bloke couldn't remember the number and had to look it up while I watched. Just remembered he did have to get them in.

Jarrod.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #35 on: 06 June, 2021, 08:50:13 pm »
Thanks for that Jarrod, The owner of the local Pirtek is a real gem and very helpful but has some staff that are very nice and polite but dont know the product.
I will see tomorrow hopoefully if the stag has done its job. Although it looks good the taper in the tap may be suspect.