Author Topic: Kelly and Lewis W. A.  (Read 1734 times)

Teddy

Kelly and Lewis W. A.
« on: 02 April, 2021, 09:12:03 pm »
Hello all, life gets more hectic as I get older, I thought it was meant to be the other way!! Anyway, that is my excuse for not being so active on the Forum in recent times.

Today I acquired a Kelly and Lewis diesel Type 1DK, 8.5hp at 1000rpm, Serial No. 217 WA.
The brass ID plate identifies it as a National Diesel Engine, with the K & L logo beneath the name. (K&L WA Pty Ltd.)
It further states that it was Made in Australia, and Assembled by Kelly and Lewis W A Pty Ltd.

The underlined words are direct quote from the ID plate.
Western Australia is a long way from Tassie, so it is not surprising that I have never seen a K&L engine from there. Indeed, I was unaware that K&L had a factory in the west.

Can any of you most erudite and knowledgeable Forum members tell me (us) more about this fact relating to Kelly and Lewis, please?
I wish all a safe and happy Easter break.
Teddy

Eric Schulz

Re: Kelly and Lewis W. A.
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2021, 11:31:18 am »
Teddy, National engines were built at Kalgoorlie Foundry P/L, Kalgoorle, WA, under licence, during ww2. In TOMM, June 2005, is an article on WA National engines, where the writer says an ex K&L employee told him that they bough a batch of partly assembled engines from Kalgoorlie. Apparently the licence was only for war time, so they could not continue making them.
The writer of the above-mentioned article is Lloyd Scott, and he says he would like to hear from others with WA National engines. Email lloyd@rjbyers.com.au.

Eric

Teddy

« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2021, 08:39:21 pm »
Thank you Eric for your most helpful response. I will email Mr Scott with my information. I have a fairly complete history of the engine, which was used to run auxiliaries on a fishing boat (pumps and so on).

Incidentally, the rocker covers are identical in design and shape as those on a Ronaldson Tippett diesel I have, which looks to be of similar vintage. Was there a connection or collaboration between the two companies?

Best wishes and thanks again
Teddy.

winnock

« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2021, 10:05:22 pm »
Good to find you back on the forum Teddy. I was once called to work on one of those engines. It was driving a pump for a gravel washing plant near Ballarat. I have never been able to find a connection to Ronaldson Tippett but the close resemblance of the cylinder head is surely not a coincident.
Eric, I will look up that TOMM mag tomorrow.
Hugh
Diesel fuel injection equipment & vintage windmills.