Author Topic: Alfa Laval alias Ronaldson Tippett 3 Hp model N  (Read 4432 times)

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Alfa Laval alias Ronaldson Tippett 3 Hp model N
« Reply #15 on: 14 April, 2021, 04:18:37 pm »
How are you testing your condensor? What do the magnets feel like as you rotate the maggie? Yes, double check all earths. As for the base why don't you use helicoils, far simpler than making a new base? Ensure you are rotating the maggie the correct way and that it does rotate the correct way when installed.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

Grasshopper

« Reply #16 on: 14 April, 2021, 10:15:04 pm »
Hello John,
To test condenser, have condenser lying free on a flat surface, set multi meter to 10 Meg olms and put positive probe to positive of condenser and earth to earth.
If the condenser is good a low value should show and gradually increase in value to a cut off point, this is the condenser charging itself.
Do this test a few times, if the values do not rise and readings are staggered then condenser is faulty.
Switch multi meter to dc volts select 20v or 3 decimal points on multi meter screen and observe reading from capacitor positive to positive, negative to negative end, voltage say .525v may appear and slowly decrease as condenser winds down.
That's a good condenser.
When you rotate the  armature you can feel the flux starting to build so magnet is good.
Yes checking all the wires should be done.
When I get it assembled again I will be checking if rotation is correct. I always thought the actual armature rotation was changed somehow within the magneto but this is not the case.
The actual driven input is changed by placing the magneto on a different motor running output the other way.
This is compensated by turning armature to a new flux field at maximum strength, then loosening the cam and finding new point position starting to open points. tighten cam holding screw down and recheck opening and maximum flux force.
Fit magneto and time magneto to engine timing marks.
Quite a bit of messing about but worth it in the end.
See how i go as just starting to get ready to put magneto back together, bearings are good, rotor is clean.
John your idea of Helicoils a good Idea, have never used them before but worth a try, will give it a go.
Cheers
Grasshopper Max

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #17 on: 15 April, 2021, 02:27:36 pm »
Yep that's a good way of testing the condensor so that seems to be good.
Reversing the direction can be done on some but not all maggies like the Lucas RS1 & SR1 not sure about your Wico but the description is correct for doing so when it can be done.

Once you have it together you can bench test it for rotation as it will make a spark one way better than the opposite. Ensure that the spark can jump to ground.

AUSDOK

« Reply #18 on: 15 April, 2021, 02:43:53 pm »
I don't think that the base plate requires helicoils as the magneto has threade holes in the base. The holes in the base are locating holes. Re magneto direction to save any further cinfusion may I suggest that we use the stardard that the rotation of a magneto is always taken from the drive end. If this is used the magneto in a r and t is clockwise thanks Rudy

Grasshopper

« Reply #19 on: 15 April, 2021, 08:33:21 pm »
Hi folks,
Rudy you are right with rotation term ology, looking at the drive end my Engine rotates the magneto clockwise so that clears things up a little.
I haven't had a chance to check the base out yet on the magneto, hopefully as you say Rudy the plate will only be a spacer.

I have had a few urgent things pop up today that needed attention so hopefully can get at it on the weekend.
Cheers
Grasshopper Max

Grasshopper

« Reply #20 on: 28 April, 2021, 09:00:31 pm »
Back to the shed and work on the Alpha Laval  (Ronaldson Tippett) 3 HP Petrol.
I finished putting the Wico magneto back together and was satisfied with the assembly.
The base plate I realised could still be used but this time it will be a spacer.
The attachment plate bolted to the motor had different holes drilled in it that did not match the drilled and tapped holes on the magneto.
To align the magneto up properly on the drive flange there needed to be new holes drilled in the attachment plate on the motor.
I drilled these holes, bought new 1/4 inch unf thread bolts to suit and secured the magneto in the correct position, good job.
Had to take magneto on and off to go through the timing procedure, finally getting the timing spot on and spark.
Put fuel tank and exhaust back on, connected governor rod to carby and gee lets crank her over and let her run.
Guess what my arm is still sore from cranking that machine over.
Put some oil down plug hole and aero start cranked over, a small spit from exhaust so weak and that was it.
I the proceeded to remove the head,
Big surprise, the head gasket is made from sheet lead, home made of course and maybe a bit thicker than traditional copper gasket which wouldn't help compression, Don't know what happens if engine run too hot, maybe meltdown.
Gasket wont be going back on.
Valves look fairly good. Piston at top dead centre looked really good tight no slop, put piston to bottom of stroke, and looked at bore,
Oh dear not happy with what I saw, lots of corrosion in several places, about 1 /3 down from the top of bore.
Too deep to hone out I would say.
I think as the piston came up on the compression stroke it reaches the bad bits and discharges some of it pressure back past the piston rings, so not enough combustion to fire.
Next job will be to remove Piston.
I am travelling away tomorrow with a trailer to have a look at several engines being sold mostly for parts, might pick up a decent bore and matching piston and rings.
This engine has certainly kept me on my toes.
Anyway time will tell, I really am looking to get this little critter running again.
Lead head gasket? Brrr brrr ughh
Cheers
Grasshopper Max

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #21 on: 28 April, 2021, 09:26:17 pm »
Some impulse mechanisms bolt on so you might be lucky. Don't forget to clean and adjust the point. Are the magnets good?

Grasshopper

« Reply #22 on: 29 April, 2021, 12:02:51 am »
Hello John,
I have a Lucas SR1 impulse magneto i have just purchased,
Would have to remove all the front impulse mechanism off it then fit the proper drive collar with single pin.
I am fairly happy with my magneto the Wico, I have checked everything and the timing is spot on.
My next step is to replace the main block with a serviceable bore and piston / rings.
The engines for parts I am looking at have magneto's as well as original cast hoppers so hopefully will be sufficient parts to make the little engine cough into life.
Really disappointed in bore condition, honing will still leave a fair amount of old corrosion.
What do you think of lead head gaskets.
When I bought this engine all I thought I had to deal with was a stuck exhaust valve.
Oh boy think again, still it will turn out to be a winner soon, before Christmas anyway.
Grasshopper Max

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #23 on: 29 April, 2021, 04:27:32 pm »
Have a long think about a 'lead' head gasket would not last a day with the low melting point. Proper head gasket are readily available use one of those.

Grasshopper

« Reply #24 on: 02 May, 2021, 05:29:53 pm »
Cobbadog,
Lead head will not be going back on I will buy the proper copper gasket, probably off ebay for $35.
Purchased two complete engines, A Ronaldson Tippett , the other Alfa Laval  (Ronaldson Tippett) 3  hp, one seized, the other free,
all complete so might get both of these going,
Haven't got home with them yet still in a trailer while I have a little stay over at a friends house at Sunshine Coast Qld.
Pictures soon.
Probably be looking to source a bore for my engine.
Could probably get it bored out oversized but then getting oversize rings may be a problem.
Cheers
Grasshopper Max

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #25 on: 02 May, 2021, 08:56:41 pm »
Shoot an email off to John Humphries at Vintage Spares for the gasket, he might have a better price.