Author Topic: Searching for information on a Ud42 Marine engine  (Read 8601 times)

sak84

Re: Searching for information on a Ud42 Marine engine
« Reply #15 on: 22 May, 2021, 10:20:10 pm »
Well good news we got her running no thanks to a seized throttle cable but after changing the deisel filter and priming her back up she fired straight uponly ran it at low revs and for a short time as did not find the correct oil filter so just tried with filter and oil that was in it but after checking all the lines and finding minimal signs of corrosion anywhere figured it was worth a try and after about a minute of cranking away she went.
It may seem like a strange question but would anyone know where the air intake would be as i could not for the life of me find where it was or find a air filter for it.
We are so thankfull for everyones help so far as we where running blind on this one.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #16 on: 23 May, 2021, 04:20:05 pm »
That would be right old goat, everything you need to know except some simple facts like quantities.   ::)
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

asw120

« Reply #17 on: 23 May, 2021, 05:42:38 pm »
I assume it has a blower, like a GM? Find that and follow the pipes.

Jarrod.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #18 on: 23 May, 2021, 08:57:03 pm »
Follow your air intake manifold. If no air filter is found that maybe because it is a marine application where dust would be rare. Or it has been removed at some point but one can be adapted.

oldgoat

« Reply #19 on: 23 May, 2021, 09:38:05 pm »
The air filter originally bolted on the square inlet on top of the blower left hand side looking from the flywheel. It had a paper element and an intake silencer on the front of it.

sak84

« Reply #20 on: 24 May, 2021, 10:24:28 pm »
Hi all
Thank you for the suggestions i will check when i get out there Saturday and let you know how we go.
I  would just like to check
When you say blower do you mean the fans they use to suck out the fumes out of the room or does a deisel motor have another type of blower i dont know about
Cheers

oldgoat

« Reply #21 on: 24 May, 2021, 10:36:17 pm »
It has a supercharger (Blower) on the left side of the block looking from the flywheel end which blows air into ports at the bottom of the cylinder. This is then exhausted through poppet valves at the top of the cylinder after the power stroke.                                                 
 If you like I would be prepared to swap the UD 6 book you have for the 3 and 4 cylinder one I have.

Netey

« Reply #22 on: 27 May, 2021, 08:39:19 am »
Oldgoat our book is falling apart it isn't in the greatest condition, but I am happy to try and scan the pages and send you a copy if you like? And thank you for the advice on the blower Scott is going out on the weekend to do more work on it so its on his list to check it out, I am sure he will have plenty more questions. I found the filter and oil at our local truck hub so he can also do the oil change now still no wiser on the amount of oil we need so I guess that will just be a fill and check as he goes. I also found a lovely gentleman at cablecraft who unseized our throttle cable for us. so far everything is going in the right direction. :)
Enjoy your day
Lynette & Scott.

Netey

« Reply #23 on: 03 December, 2022, 04:48:52 pm »
hi all

thankyou to all your suggestions it has been some time but the boat and motor has been completed and is now back in the water the only hassle we have is that the starter motor got some salt water in it in the floods when the boat went under on hardstand may i add lol
i was wondering if oldgoat or anyone else would have the part number or any details on the starter motor so i can get another one as i think this one may be stuffed as it is not working correct and squirting out water from the breather any help would be great

thank you scott/lynette

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #24 on: 03 December, 2022, 09:26:47 pm »
Mate it would be a rare day that a wet starter motor has to be thrown away. Strip it and clean it up, shout it a set of new carbon brushes as they are dirt cheap then assemble and bolt it up. Make sure the bearings are in good shape and lubricated or replace them, again nanother cheap part.
Having said that I noticed that someone either on Fleabay or FaceAche advertised aftermarket starters for Listers. In this case it was for a SR1 but they do make them for multi cylinder Listers. A Google search or search on Fleabay should get results. You will need to mention if yours is clockwise or anticlockwise direction.
Glad your back on the water and not under it.

oldgoat

« Reply #25 on: 04 December, 2022, 12:26:59 am »
According to the book your diesel uses a Hitachi s25-24 starter The trouble will probably be in the relay on the starter this throws the pinion into mesh and is the main contactor for the starter. It looks as if you can remove the plunger from the solenoid and a cleanup and lubrication might be all that is needed plus all the stuff that cobbadog said.

oldgoat

« Reply #26 on: 04 December, 2022, 12:56:29 am »
Also found the sump holds 10 litres you just have to know where to look in the manual. Length of brushes 24mm wear limit 16mm. Looks like you can dismantle the solenoid and dress up the contacts there should be  0.2 to1.5 mm clearance between the pinion and the front bush when the solenoid is operated Oil pressure at 1200 rpm with the oil hot should be about 45psi. Check the injection pump oil occasionally with the dipstick.

Netey

« Reply #27 on: 20 December, 2022, 08:45:25 pm »
hi cobbadog and oldgoat

thank you for all the info i pulled ours apart and it was full of sludge i tried cleaning it and it worked the first try but unfortunately failed the following weekend again you turn the key and it slow turns and stops then smells like electrical burning.
 so trying to find a replacement before Christmas but is not looking good as no one seems to be able to match it and i have tried looking up the hitachi s25-24 but have had no luck in finding one as yet appriate all your help with everything

cheers scott

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #28 on: 20 December, 2022, 09:30:52 pm »
The starter might be worth still playing until ou get a replacement. If it is stuffed then it is stuffed but the smell of an electrical fault can be as simple as a loose wire when power is being drawn through it or a bare wire in the system.
Not sure what toys you have access to but pull it apart again and clean it up to be as new inside and out. This allows you to see clearly any faults. If you have a lathe do a light skim across the communtator to clean them up and I mean a light skim. Check bearinga front and rear or if bronze bushes a couple of drops of oil.  Check the brushes and replace if they are past the wear size as indicated earlier, new are 24mm worn out at 16mm. Double check the leads from the brushes are tight and not arcing out somewhere and the spring tension holds the brushes against the communtator.
The solenoid as stated earlier in aprevious post must also have clean flat contacts that meet evenly against one another and then their is an adjustment for a clearance between pinion and front bush of 0.2mm - 1.5mm. Worth a tryand all it will cost is a bit of time.
I know you mentioned you have oil b ut it is far cheaper to buy a 20ltr drum than smaller size containers to make up the 10 ltrs needed.

Netey

« Reply #29 on: 20 December, 2022, 10:59:14 pm »
I will pull it apart again tomorrow give it another clean out and see how i go and check the connections and wires inside i did not think to check them thank you i will admit that i have not tried cleaning a starter before this is all a first for me