Author Topic: Sunshine 3hp questions  (Read 2055 times)

matchless50

Sunshine 3hp questions
« on: 23 May, 2021, 11:30:02 am »
G'day all, hoping someone here may be able to assist me with some questions regarding my latest purchase, i would like to ask if the crank bearings should have oilers or greasers as is fitted to this engine? are they ok to run with just greasers?
I would also like to ask if the oiler pictured in the centre of the crankcase is used to mix the oil with the fuel or does it lubricate other moving parts? would also like to know a year of manufacture if possible, thanks in advance, any assistance greatly appreciated, cheers Damien     

AUSDOK

Re: Sunshine 3hp questions
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2021, 07:55:36 am »
Have sent you a pm. The two greasers should be replced with oilers .regards Rudy

Austral

Re: Sunshine 3hp questions
« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2021, 10:07:19 am »
G'day all, hoping someone here may be able to assist me with some questions regarding my latest purchase, i would like to ask if the crank bearings should have oilers or greasers as is fitted to this engine? are they ok to run with just greasers?
I would also like to ask if the oiler pictured in the centre of the crankcase is used to mix the oil with the fuel or does it lubricate other moving parts? would also like to know a year of manufacture if possible, thanks in advance, any assistance greatly appreciated, cheers Damien     
Good Morning Damien,
The grease cups are more than adequate for your engine. They are a common fitting on the main bearings of many vintage engines.
However, if you are seeking an original appearance then oilers are the way to go. The correct type are highly sought after, but do appear on eBay from time to time.
These are a wet sump engine and oil is splashed around by a dipper on the big-end cap. The oiler to which you refer is there to maintain the supply as it is burnt off during running. 
Your engine has had a replacement magneto fitted at some stage. The original was probably an EIC with an advance / retard feature and including a stop button.   
I will be interested to see if your engine runs well without excessive flooding from the carburettor like mine does.
Regards,
John.