Author Topic: Southern cross akb  (Read 1367 times)

AUSDOK

Southern cross akb
« on: 14 June, 2021, 03:10:13 pm »
Hi now have 2 of these. Could somebody please let me know what color they where originally. Also the tank color as well.  Thanks Rudy

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: Southern cross akb
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2021, 03:47:11 pm »
I thought Southern Cross used Brunswick Green but maybe wrong and have been in the past.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

AUSDOK

« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2021, 06:48:20 pm »
It is currently grey with green under that and a dull orange under that and then a red beneath them all. A engine of many colors.  Rudy

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2021, 09:15:51 pm »
I do see  a red S.C. at Wauchope
Truck show and thought that was a personal choice of colour.

rustyengines

• Townsville North Queensland
    • Southern Cross Register
« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2021, 09:30:37 am »
The red was Indian red came out late 1945
The green is one shade lighter than Brunswick Green
The two engines in pictures are not exact shade BUT who would know
Ian

This (below) is what Rob Laurent found when researching for his book on SC

Paint Colours
According to SC literature the green is called Huntington Green (also written as Huntingdon Green). I haven't ever seen this colour on sale but it must be listed in old colour catalogues. It has less black in it than Brunswick green.

Many of the engines from the B series on (1945) were painted Indian Red (the same colour used by Queensland Rail for their old wooden carriages).

There were two shades of grey. They started using a pale grey in the 1950s and a darker Machinery grey in the 1960s. Also in the 60s they started painting some of the air cooled diesels a bright red. I've seen some blue engines from this period too, as well as some yellow ones. There were also some aqua coloured engines (blue-green). I can't give you exact dates when they began using these colours.

Many YB were green with a black head. some YBs had  a couple of yellow pin stripes on the face of the flywheel. Some of the first diesels (the Y types) were painted black and others were green. I've been told that the experimental engines were usually silver.

Rob Laurent * The author of the book SOUTHERN CROSS ENGINES

Southern Cross Engines, Lawn Mowers and old tools * TOWNSVILLE

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2021, 08:50:16 pm »
Good info Ian. Even between the 3 shades of Brunswick Green, Light, Mid and Dark they are slightly different to the green in our picture as you have mentioned.
Just from memory I would pick up some colour swatches of the light and mid brunswick, plus there is a colourbond colour called gumnut from memory which may go close.