Author Topic: 1927 Chevrolet truck  (Read 6486 times)

PeterWhite

1927 Chevrolet truck
« on: 25 January, 2022, 07:54:08 pm »
Hi and thanks for letting me join your group.
I am starting to restore a 1927 Chev truck and like most restorations some parts a missing, so I was wondering if any one had any parts they would sell.
The truck has been totally pulled apart so the rear brakes a missing the rear springs and shackles a missing plus other parts I have not got to yet, the motor was left in the rain so the rocker gear is rusty the sump was taken off, the gear box is stuck.
But good radiator,
So please let me know.
Thanks
Peter.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
Re: 1927 Chevrolet truck
« Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2022, 09:40:23 pm »
Welcome to the Forum Peter. Sounds like a brilliant project to keep you busy for a while. At least with your model it has front brakes unlike the earlier 1925. While you will get help here there is also yet another Aussie Forum which is a very busy one based here in Oz as well and full of truck guysand all their knowledge.
Not wanting to upset this Forum but hopefully if by mentioning the other one wont get me in too much trouble. Have a look at HCVC forum on        www.hcvc.com.au/forum
Hope this helps you out in finding parts and info as required which is what all these Forums are about.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

PeterWhite

« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2022, 10:39:20 pm »
Hi thanks for the quick reply, I will check this site out, and you said about front brakes may be I was told wrong as mine does not have any on the front ?.
It mite be earlier I have not been able to find any chassis number or fire wall plate.

wee-allis

« Reply #3 on: 26 January, 2022, 08:33:03 am »

Peter and Cobba, front brakes weren't fitted to Chevs until 1928, so it probably is a 1927.  On my old 1926 Chev, the only chassis number I ever found was stamped into the top of the main main timber body rail inside the left hand front door.
If it's old, treat it like gold.
 38 Allis B,50 Morris Six,  Moruya, Sth coast NSW.

cobbadog

• Buzacott Farm Pumper.
« Reply #4 on: 26 January, 2022, 02:05:01 pm »
Thanks for that wee-allis.
Dad used to say they fitted brakes after 1925 as that was his DOB. So always good to learn.
Cheers, John & Dee. Coopernook. NSW.

shubys tractor farm

• SUFFERING SEVERELY FROM RUSTY IRON DISEASE.
« Reply #5 on: 24 March, 2022, 02:22:32 pm »
G-day Peter. Welcome to TOMM FORUM and lots of members who may be able to help.  I have veteran and vintage DODGE BROTHERS  from 1916 to 1935.  However- I know a bit about Chev.  First of all you need to identify the exact year, model and day it was made. This can be achieved by you finding the chassis no of the vehicle.  I would like to know if it was a 6 cylinder or a 4 cylinder motor. I do have contacts with lots of Chevi enthusiasts from this era and they could help you.  I also have lots of parts which may help- Where abouts are you. I guess what I am trying to say ---is that we all need lots more information to be able to help .  Shubystractorfarm.

franco

« Reply #6 on: 25 March, 2022, 02:35:37 pm »
Hi Peter,

I suggest you also join the VCCA forums.

https://vccachat.org/

There is a LOT of information on the 1912-1928 forum on the 4 cylinder Chevs. You don't have to be a member of the VCCA Club to be a forum member, but Club members have access to sections with detailed accounts on how to overhaul various parts which non members cannot access. I have not joined the Club: there is enough expert advice available on the above forum for most requirements.

I have owned several twenties  Chev cars, and still own a 27. None of them had the chassis number stamped on the chassis: it was always on a plate nailed onto the passenger's side seat frame, which is usually missing on unrestored vehicles now.

There were several truck models in 1927 having different load capacities. The smallest (1/2 ton?) used the car chassis, and the heavier duty models used a more robust chassis. The LM was a one ton truck.

There are at least three suppliers of reproduction parts in the USA: who get favourable mention in the forum. One is:

https://www.fillingstation.com/

Among other things they have workshop manuals for the various twenties car models - not sure whether these cover the trucks too. In any case the truck engines are virtually the same as the car engines, and blank chassis number plates are available to carry a new VIN number allotted by the DMR before registration. If it is an original truck engine the engine number will have a T prefix. If it has been replaced by a car engine, from memory the car engine number will have an R prefix.

Midway through 1927 two alterations were made to the car engines. I don't know if this applied to the truck engines too. The diameter of the valves was increased to the same as the 28s though the 27 and 28 valves are not interchangeable, and the distributor was changed to the type fitted to the 28s. this had a semi-automatic advance/retard instead of the wholly manual advance/retard on the earlier engines.

Check your cylinder head for cracks:  the early Chevs were notorious for this, so much so that the factory made another batch for spares for 1926/27 cars in 1934. I know because one of my cars had one fitted. It was identical to the original heads except that it took 14 mm spark plugs.

Frank
Cairns, Queensland